PDA

View Full Version : ARRRGGGGGGGG!!!! can others check???

prospector
05-13-2004, 08:37 AM
Here's the setup;

LW8
Open Layout
Open Scene
go to Folder IK
Load 'Setup-Bee-Man'
open spreadsheet

go from the 'Bone Properties: Basic'

to

'Bone Properties: Effect'

Select 'Root'

DO NOTHING ELSE

Change your mind and click out of Spreadsheet

Clear scene

At clear scene mine crashes to desktop

If yours doesn't, what equipment are you using?

This works fine for me in 7.5

So I need to get something fixed and need some equipment hints.
I've been trying to get this straightened out for 2 weeks now and nothing straightenes it out.
Tried over 10 different video card drivers, 2 videocards in 2 computers.

I have no hair left to try anything else, and wife keeps her distance now when she sees me on the compys.

gjjackson
05-13-2004, 09:10 AM
I can't check it out right now, but seems like you sure have found numerous ways to crash LW8. Saying that, maybe you should be an Official Newtek beta tester. Could it be anything in the config files. Did you load all the plugins you had from previous versions. I'm wondering if there could be a plugin not compatible with v8 and this is causing the problem. Just some thoughts.

Aquaman
05-13-2004, 09:13 AM
I performed the exact steps you listed and had no problems clearing the scene.
I have however had a couple of scenes crash while loading them up. Namely Lipsync.lws under the endo_sliders directory and Alien&irene.lws under the Lighting directory. Occasionally these will stop at around 93% and crash layout. This doesn't happen all the time though.

My system specs:
P4 3.0GHz.
1 Gig of cas 2 PC3200 Corsair ram
128MB Geforce 4 TI4600 using 56.72 Forceware drivers
Windows XP Pro with service pack 1a along with all latest updates

phil lawson
05-13-2004, 09:16 AM
Yup, I get the same :(

titane357
05-13-2004, 09:29 AM
same for me

prospector
05-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Saying that, maybe you should be an Official Newtek beta tester

Heh...if I was then another ver of LW would never get released:D

But others getting the same thing so maby it isn't my equip.

NEWTEK!!!
can one of your guys in the office check on this?

It didn't do it in 7.5.

Spreadsheet is important for a new LW product that I have been working on in 7.5 but if it doesn't work right in 8 then I am up sh*ts creek untill it's fixed.

theo
05-13-2004, 12:16 PM
In Layout alone I've had crashes over volumetric lights, camera view switchings, random crashes using dynamics as well as a couple of others that I have no idea what was done at the the time- could very well have been the fact that I was picking my nose or something so LW decides to crash right then and there.

Sooo... I have now become a CSF which is short for "Compulsive Save Freak".

MiniFireDragon
05-13-2004, 12:41 PM
I am not at my PC to check but had a thought. Have you gotten the most recent versions of the video drivers and directX?? I know it is a stupid question but hey, it can slip your mind. Also, are your Nvidia (if u are using Nvidia) registered into the system correctly??

What brings this to mind is I play Everquest alot. And that program is heavily depended on good video drivers and directX stuff. Nvidia DOES NOT fully uninstall itself when replaced with a card like ATI and can cause problems. I have problems on one of my Setups of windows 2000 where I can go into the game and play for hours and have my screen go wacky, then there are times I could go in and have instant wipeout. I have tried the detonator removal software and that never helped. My Nvidia drivers are registered in the system as some old old version. I am still working on fixing it, but maybe this could be a problem with Lightwave since they did do some revisions to the OpenGL and directX sections of the apps.

theo
05-13-2004, 12:51 PM
If you are talking to me MiniFire then I am current with everything-as a matter of fact this is a brand-new machine.

The scene I am working on is by no means a small scene- it is complicated with several volumetric lights, particle effects and lots of cam movement in a very procedurally heavy mountainscape.

Though this isn't as complicated than what is required for SPFX film work I do wonder why I am having these problems. Oh well- in spite of all these problems though I still love a lot things about the new LW8. I just cannot wait for the next version.

prospector
05-13-2004, 01:35 PM
Yea, I know about the drivers and the nvidia killer proggy.

I go thru the complete Regedit and delete everything that even mentions nvidia or any other codeword pertaining to anything in the nvidia folder that is set up when installing.

Which got to be rather tiring after the 3rd driver set tried.

Never had anything else but nvidia in any compy here.

mav3rick
05-13-2004, 01:42 PM
ok guys here is TIP .... could help
go to MASTER PLUGINS of scene you want to clear or exit or whatever and delete any plugins there like spreedsheet etc.... since lw 7.x lw was known to save scene with all spreedsheets clones and does not clear MASTER PLUGINS . this can cause crashing lw, or network render melfunction...
maybe help maybe not :) you try and tell me
cant be more of help since i STILL WAIT DAMN 8

dwburman
05-13-2004, 02:08 PM
In VFX work I think a lot of things are rendered in passes and composited later. For instance, the volumetrics and particles would be rendered separately (sometimes several particle passes). You're probably already aware of that though. At any rate, by breaking it up like that the set up and rendering aren't as intensive as they'd be if all were on at once.

Though this isn't as complicated than what is required for SPFX film work I do wonder why I am having these problems. [/B]

Oh, and I can't check on the bug because I'm still waiting on L[8].

Aegis
05-13-2004, 02:13 PM
No crashes here - clearing the scene after following your steps causes no problems :confused:

Dual 3.06Ghz Xeon
SuperMicro X5DAL-TG2 Motherboard
2Gb Corsair "Value Select" DDR RAM
Albatron GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
nVidia ForceWare 56.72 Drivers
Windows XP Pro SP 1a

MiniFireDragon
05-13-2004, 02:46 PM
Hey, lookie at this from the Content Help:

Spreadsheet Scene Manager

Note: This is a legacy tool. For a current Spreadsheet tool use the Scene Editor.

Often you want to edit certain properties of an item, and luckily, changing the values and properties of items is simple in Layout. But what if you need to change the properties for 20 objects? The Spreadsheet Scene Manager (Scene > Utilities: Master Plug-ins > Spreadsheet) organizes these properties and lets you edit a wide range of values quickly and easily.

But anyway, I crashed to with a divide by zero error.

theo
05-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Yes- I know that dwburman- even though the render is multi-passed you still have to build the scene.

Aegis
05-13-2004, 05:01 PM
Are you using the Spreadsheet in preference to the new Scene Editor? If so why? And yes, you're right - with the Spreadsheet it does crash though not with the new and improved Scene Editor...

prospector
05-13-2004, 06:26 PM
I'm just using it like I did in LW7.5
multi selecting and global setting and selecting bones to manipulate (which is easier on dual monitor than to go thru scroll menu)

Haven't tried the new scene editor for doing the same stuff that spreadsheet does.

Will give it a try tho.

nerdyguy227
05-14-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by prospector

I have no hair left to try anything else, and wife keeps her distance now when she sees me on the compys.

Now when you say "no hair"............?

prospector
05-14-2004, 07:04 PM
I'm slowly,

ever soooo.......s..l..oooooo..l..y..

pulling it out by the roots as I try to figure this out:D