PDA

View Full Version : Grab 'Selection Centre' in Modify Tools

Matt
05-13-2004, 07:53 AM
I've posted this before a while ago, but I wanted to raise it again
because I've been doing a lot of work recently where this would be useful.

Okay you have some geometry (or a selection) whose bounding
box centre isn't 0,0,0.

You want to scale from its centre, and you also want to scale by
an exact amount, say 175%.

So you bring up the numeric input for the scale tool, but the scale
centre is always 0,0,0 by default.

So you have to scale in the viewport with the action centre set
to 'Selection' (this records the selection centre in the numeric input)

Now you have to undo (unless you managed to scale to the exact
% you wanted!) then go and type the % you wanted in the numeric box and hit apply.

It's only a small extra operation but I encounter this daily, surely
others must do too.

It would be better if either all the modify tools were aware of
which 'action mode' you were in, so if you were in 'selection mode'
it would automatically record the centre of the selection into the numeric panel.

Or (probably a better way) have a button in the numeric panel to
grab the values of the current selection.

It's small, useful workflow enhancements like this that I believe
LightWave really needs.

evenflcw
05-13-2004, 09:04 AM
There's no need for any undo-trickery. Although it is still annoying, all you have to do is leftclick or rightclick once (carefull not to drag the mouse in any direction) in the viewports to update the numerical inputs. If your action center is set to selection, nomatter where you click it'll always turn up the same, at the center of selection.

"It would be better if either all the modify tools were aware of which 'action mode' you were in, so if you were in 'selection mode' it would automatically record the centre of the selection into the numeric panel."YES, please! This is the way it should be. Adding another button just for this is not a good solution, just another bandaid.

If we're ever gonna get handles in modeler they too will have to be instantly aware of what action mode is active.

Earl
05-13-2004, 09:19 AM
Agreed. The tools should just be smart enough to know what action center mode we're in. That, and you should be able to change actioni center modes on the fly, with the numeric panel open, and it should update. However, for those who would not find this fitting to their workflow, there should be a way to disable the auto-updating of the action center in the numeric panel (maybe a check box or switch or something).

Karmacop
05-13-2004, 09:41 AM
I agree. I need to go the undo trick all the time :(