PDA

View Full Version : Firewire Oddity

RayLarson
05-13-2004, 07:49 AM
I posted this problem a while back and no one, even Dr Cross had a solution.

I have a Panasonic AG-DV2000 digital deck conected to my VT3. I have no problems capturing or batch capturing. The problem is when I play projects from Ted if the Firewire is plugged into the deck. I get major stuttering. Once the firewire is removed...all is well.

My workaround is to just unplug the firewire cable except when capturing. Most of the time my projects go out to this deck thru S-VHS unless I am printing direct to tape theu Premiere.

Just wondered if this sounded familiar to anyone else.

djlithium
05-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Is the deck trying to stream back DV or DVCam video through the firewire connection?
That might be the problem.
I am not sure if that deck supports both.

ScorpioProd
05-26-2004, 12:10 AM
First thing I would recommend is try it with the deck shut off.

That used to prevent problems for me when I had my VIA chipset based firewire card in my computer. Once I changed to a TI chipset card I didn't have to do this anymore.

Also, be sure you have DirectX 9.0b.

RayLarson
05-26-2004, 06:24 AM
Shutting off the deck does not cure the situation. Removing the firewire makes everything happy. It could be the deck trying to stream back DV....I guess for the time being just plugging in the firewire for capture and removing it seems to be the most consistent workaround.

Thanks for the suggestions....it may be the chipset on the firewiure card but I beleive it is a TI based card. I'll have to check.

bradl
05-26-2004, 03:47 PM
Just a thought, some decks will sense a firewire connection and activate DV in, even if you are not using it. Maybe that is happening and it keeps activity or interupts on the port. See if there is a way to turn DV In off in your camera.

RayLarson
05-28-2004, 04:58 AM
Thanks for the thought. I have tried that with no success. It's not a big deal. Yanking out the firewire cable except when I need it is no big deal. Just a minor frustration.

Jim Capillo
05-28-2004, 06:22 AM
Ray, I am using a JVC BR-DV3000 deck via firewire and it is not exhibiting that behaviour at all. Because of that, I'm guessing that it is distinct to that particular deck. Do you have a different DV deck that you could try?

Demon8
05-30-2004, 02:33 PM
I have the JVC-BR3000 deck also, and I'm have the same problem.

Jim Capillo
05-30-2004, 04:30 PM
It would seem related to the firewire connection. I really can't remember if the TI is the desirable chipset or not. My machine is dealer built by Blaine, so I don't know what he stuffed in there. :confused:

ScorpioProd
05-31-2004, 12:05 AM
TI chipset you want, VIA chipset you do NOT want.

(Again, this is chipset, not to be confused with drivers.)

RayLarson
05-31-2004, 06:10 AM
Now, the obvious question...How can you tell what chipset you have??

Paul Lara
05-31-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by RayLarson
How can you tell what chipset you have??

You could always visit the manufacturer's web site and read the specs on that card.

mgrusin
05-31-2004, 10:25 AM
If you pull the firwire card and examine it, you may be able to see a "TI" or "VIA" logo on the big chip.

Sadly, they don't like you opening packages at the stores to check this kind of thing...

-MG.

John Perkins
05-31-2004, 11:38 PM
You might see NEC or Agere also, none of which work exactly right.

Not sure why, but TI is definately the best shipset.