PDA

View Full Version : LW-It's just one Application!

firstsingle
05-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Isn't it funny how it's never enough. Not matter how good it can get, it's still never enough.

I hear a few complaints here and there about NT's new version of LW. LW8. Although I may not have everything on everyone's Birthday gift list.
It's a more improved app. I never heard NT say this was it's last version and it will be retired. There's still more to come which is something to look forward to.

It will be of great value to learn to create one's own personal tools/Plug-Ins. NT has also provided a way to do this for it's customers.

One Application
Remember, Along with other tools, LW can help your studio make a profit on it's investment as well as offer a joyful working experience.

reverie
05-13-2004, 08:12 AM
Hey, transplanted Californian. :)

I guess I haven't been using LW long enough to spot flaws in V8, but I'm totally hooked. 7.5 snagged me, and V8 has me mesmerized. LW has a clean, convenient interface, and its realistic renderings are unbeatable. And that's just two of its good points. :D

They paid me to say that. :D (Just joking.)

richdj
05-13-2004, 08:17 AM
It does seem that a number of people are disgruntled with NT & LW. There are a few on the forum who are questioning it's abilities in comparison to other applications, and indeed some are looking to move over. LW is afterall, as you say, one application. It has some excellent things about it, needless to say, ease of use, learning curve, cost and such a great input from users on the forum. It has bad points, and personally speaking the biggest drawback is my own abilities.

I can only speculate that one of the reasons people are disgruntled, is due to the length of time 8 has taken to ship... "someone please send me my copy"...

No matter which 3D package people use, they will find good and bad points about it, some in particular will look for the bad...

Personally, I'm not looking to change, if I can't do it in LW then it's a training issue, not a LW problem, I can't wait to get my hands on 8 (someone send it, please......), and see what the future holds for the 8 upgrades and then 9 onwards.

firstsingle
05-13-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by reverie
Hey, transplanted Californian. :)

I guess I haven't been using LW long enough to spot flaws in V8, but I'm totally hooked. 7.5 snagged me, and V8 has me mesmerized. LW has a clean, convenient interface, and its realistic renderings are unbeatable. And that's just two of its good points. :D

They paid me to say that. :D (Just joking.)

Hey there me fellow Georgian. Another happy customer:D
reverie: Be sure to sign up for a Georgia user group here:
http://www.friendsofnewtek.com/
Maybe i'll see you there. Peace

firstsingle
05-13-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by richdj
It does seem that a number of people are disgruntled with NT & LW. There are a few on the forum who are questioning it's abilities in comparison to other applications, and indeed some are looking to move over. LW is afterall, as you say, one application. It has some excellent things about it, needless to say, ease of use, learning curve, cost and such a great input from users on the forum. It has bad points, and personally speaking the biggest drawback is my own abilities.

I can only speculate that one of the reasons people are disgruntled, is due to the length of time 8 has taken to ship... "someone please send me my copy"...

No matter which 3D package people use, they will find good and bad points about it, some in particular will look for the bad...

Personally, I'm not looking to change, if I can't do it in LW then it's a training issue, not a LW problem, I can't wait to get my hands on 8 (someone send it, please......), and see what the future holds for the 8 upgrades and then 9 onwards.

My exact words richdj: I hope you get 8 soon dude. You are the Patient "1"

firstsingle
05-13-2004, 08:29 AM
Join the party dudes.

List what you Love about LW8 or earlier versions here. There's already a "What I don't like about LW" Thread:D

Happy Waves^^^^^^^^

reverie
05-13-2004, 08:49 AM
Unfortunately, there seem to be no Georgia LW User Groups unless I'm totally overlooking 'em. :) Thanks for the link though.

10 Things I like about LW...

1) Realistic renderings
2) Clean interface -- good for someone who's easily distracted by bells and whistles (me)
3) Variety of tools -- if you get bored with your favorites, you can always find a new one to play around with. :D
4) Nice 'n easy surface editor
5) Compositing options
6) Lighting setup
7) 1 app for modeling/1 for rendering -- as someone else put it, that discourages excessive test renders, which are a neurotic problem with yours truly.
8) Weight maps -- they fascinate me, for some reason.
9) Texturing power -- you can do lovely textures without ever leaving LW
10) LW was used to do the Mars simulation thing. It'll live in history. ;)

firstsingle
05-13-2004, 09:12 AM
Unfortunately, there seem to be no Georgia LW User Groups unless I'm totally overlooking 'em. :) Thanks for the link though.

10 Things I like about LW...

1) Realistic renderings
2) Clean interface -- good for someone who's easily distracted by bells and whistles (me)
3) Variety of tools -- if you get bored with your favorites, you can always find a new one to play around with. :D
4) Nice 'n easy surface editor
5) Compositing options
6) Lighting setup
7) 1 app for modeling/1 for rendering -- as someone else put it, that discourages excessive test renders, which are a neurotic problem with yours truly.
8) Weight maps -- they fascinate me, for some reason.
9) Texturing power -- you can do lovely textures without ever leaving LW
10) LW was used to do the Mars simulation thing. It'll live in history. ;)

Yeah, That's wav'licous dude reverie.

1) The Modeler is Super easy' Once you get the hang of 3D Space.
2) Unlimited Built in Render Nodes++
3)PhotoReal Renderer
4)HDR Features
5)Easy Character SetUp's
6)you can create your own LScripts/Plug-Ins
7)Easy Texturing
8)Super easy Expressions 'Even cooler if you paid attention in math class'
9)Lighting Tools/Radiosity Rocks. That's just one to name.
10)Built in Dynamics tools.
11)Particle Engine.
12)MoCap Support.
Wow, That's all you need to support an entire Show or feature film. Add your fav paint program. Matchmoving software and you're good to go

Dodgy
05-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Vmaps in general are soooooo nice!

firstsingle
05-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Dodgy
Vmaps in general are soooooo nice!

Love'em!

wacom
05-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Some of the people who are move'n on don't need animation, need particals, physics etc...so for them having a fast render and a few features that aren't in LW yeat is a good move for them. We'll see some of them back around LW9...

There is a small number of people who are moving on to "bigger" apps who really hate to read manuals and figure out things. They also totally suck at modeling and rendering (yes, you can suck at modeling in LW after even 2+years of using it, don't ask me how). They will be in for a surprise when they "learn" that every app with some depth has a few, if not a lot, of tough cookies. Normally if it's click and play and you want to do something complicated it's only going to be harder...

Just my 2 cents. I just know this thread is going to degrade into a mess though...

The new stuff in LW8 is a good glimps at what is to come- much of it really is inovative and more intergrated than older code...

firstsingle
05-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by wacom
Some of the people who are move'n on don't need animation, need particals, physics etc...so for them having a fast render and a few features that aren't in LW yeat is a good move for them. We'll see some of them back around LW9...

There is a small number of people who are moving on to "bigger" apps who really hate to read manuals and figure out things. They also totally suck at modeling and rendering (yes, you can suck at modeling in LW after even 2+years of using it, don't ask me how). They will be in for a surprise when they "learn" that every app with some depth has a few, if not a lot, of tough cookies. Normally if it's click and play and you want to do something complicated it's only going to be harder...

Just my 2 cents. I just know this thread is going to degrade into a mess though...

The new stuff in LW8 is a good glimps at what is to come- much of it really is inovative and more intergrated than older code...

Well said wacom.
You're right. It's been a full year now since I started 3D work and I'm starting to understand what it's all about now. Now modeling is fun. Had nothing to do with LW turns out. It was "Lack of education"
LW9! I can see it now;)

Beaker
05-13-2004, 12:47 PM
I've been using LightWave since version 4.

Here's a few more for you firstsingle, from a purely financial standpoint:

[list=1]
Technical Support has been free of charge since I started using LightWave. Every other app I use wants to charge me per call or per year, and if it's an Educational version, forget about even getting help if it won't install. I'd a lot rather pay for a long distance call at seven cents a minute, compared to $50-$150 per call.
If you count the version with a printed manual as a price increase, this is the first time I've seen NewTek raise the price of an upgrade since I started using it. If you don't want the printed manual, it's the same price to upgrade as it's always been. Every other app I use seems to go up with every version.
5.6, 6.5, and 7.5 were free, not to mention all the subletter upgrades, like 7.5c. Max and Maya want me to pay for every update in the form of a subscription, even if they're just bug fixes.
With the dongle, I can install LW on every machine I have, and I don't have to get permission or reregister.
If I wanted to use it on a Mac, no extra charge.
If I wanted to sell it, or buy it used, I can.
It's still got the best base pricing and upgrade pricing I've seen. Even with the recent price drops, no one beats it, and Max could cut its price in half and still be more expensive at the base, not to mention the fact that they all have higher upgrade pricing.
[/list=1]

There's probably more, but these have always been big factors in my decision making.

firstsingle
05-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Beaker
I've been using LightWave since version 4.

Here's a few more for you firstsingle, from a purely financial standpoint:

[list=1]
Technical Support has been free of charge since I started using LightWave. Every other app I use wants to charge me per call or per year, and if it's an Educational version, forget about even getting help if it won't install. I'd a lot rather pay for a long distance call at seven cents a minute, compared to $50-$150 per call.
If you count the version with a printed manual as a price increase, this is the first time I've seen NewTek raise the price of an upgrade since I started using it. If you don't want the printed manual, it's the same price to upgrade as it's always been. Every other app I use seems to go up with every version.
5.6, 6.5, and 7.5 were free, not to mention all the subletter upgrades, like 7.5c. Max and Maya want me to pay for every update in the form of a subscription, even if they're just bug fixes.
With the dongle, I can install LW on every machine I have, and I don't have to get permission or reregister.
If I wanted to use it on a Mac, no extra charge.
If I wanted to sell it, or buy it used, I can.
It's still got the best base pricing and upgrade pricing I've seen. Even with the recent price drops, no one beats it, and Max could cut its price in half and still be more expensive at the base, not to mention the fact that they all have higher upgrade pricing.
[/list=1]

There's probably more, but these have always been big factors in my decision making.

Wow Beaker. I don't think anyone can beat that with a bag of hammers. I can relate to the charge for Tech Support, Outrageous dude. Good to hear from another satisfied customer.
Ladies and Gentleman. When has saving money been so fun?
Later Beaker

reverie
05-13-2004, 04:29 PM
Another good thing...LW has lots of good books to go along with it. :D One thing that frustrated me about C4D was the lack of books about it. I gotta have books.

And -- as someone else told me when I was pondering the C4D to LW switch -- the LW community does seem to be a very close-knit and loyal bunch. :)

firstsingle
05-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Another good thing...LW has lots of good books to go along with it. :D One thing that frustrated me about C4D was the lack of books about it. I gotta have books.

And -- as someone else told me when I was pondering the C4D to LW switch -- the LW community does seem to be a very close-knit and loyal bunch. :)

Yup.
I just finished reading the entire LW8 Lighting book in 1 and a half week.
Got several others I still read from LW7.5.
Her rev'
I just got an e-mail about a GA user group. Check it out.

Designer
05-13-2004, 04:46 PM

Books are very important, and LW has enough good books from Wordware and others that makes beginner's task to learn easier. Other apps, the books are either lacking or not much..LW is far from perfect, but at least it's good for beginners.

firstsingle
05-13-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Designer
Books are very important, and LW has enough good books from Wordware and others that makes beginner's task to learn easier. Other apps, the books are either lacking or not much..LW is far from perfect, but at least it's good for beginners.

You're right Designer. Next on my list if LW8 Texturing. See how much widom I can pull out of that one.
Later.

reverie
05-14-2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the tip about the Ga. users group, California. :) Too bad I don't live in the Atlanta area. Maybe I could get my brother to go...he lives in Buckhead, with his wife and two cats. :D

Why does EVERYTHING in Georgia have to be in Atlanta? :confused:

I wonder if there's another LW user south of the gnat line, even. :D (The gnat line is a bit south of Macon.)

firstsingle
05-14-2004, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the tip about the Ga. users group, California. :) Too bad I don't live in the Atlanta area. Maybe I could get my brother to go...he lives in Buckhead, with his wife and two cats. :D

Why does EVERYTHING in Georgia have to be in Atlanta? :confused:

I wonder if there's another LW user south of the gnat line, even. :D (The gnat line is a bit south of Macon.)

Oh, That's where the gnat line Is.
Yeah everything is in Atlanta:mad:

Next Time 'R'