PDA

View Full Version : T[2] is plays DV but doesn't record

kleima
02-11-2003, 11:25 AM
T[2] will play DV avi's for me, but will not record them without dropping frames.
P4 1.7 Single; 1GB RAM;
GeForce 2 MX400 64MB Dual;

SBowie
02-11-2003, 11:53 AM
I presume RTV's record OK for you? A single P4 may be a little light weight to expect it to reliably record to DV through the Toaster, if that's what you're attempting to do. The system has to rely on the cpu to compress the footage in real time, which is asking quite a bit. The MicroSoft DV codecs don't help, but even with the MainActor DV codec I think DV capture may be 'iffy' on your system.

Presumably some using similar boxes will weigh in here, but if you need native DV capture, you'd likely be best to use an external utility to capture it.

ScorpioProd
02-11-2003, 04:55 PM
I also have a single P4 1.7 based system and no, that's not enough power to reliably capture and encode to DV from analog input at the same time, even with the MainConcept DV codec.

If your source is already DV clips, then just use an outside utility to TRANSFER the files to your computer for use in T[2].

If your source is analog, try the PicVideo M-JPEG codec at Q=19, or else capture as uncompressed RTV and then render to MainConcept DV for storage.

Jim Wainscott
05-12-2003, 10:56 AM
I'm running on a dual Xeon Supermicro P4DC6+ and using everything Newtek recommended --- dual 2GHz, IGB RD-RAM, GEForce MX 64MB dual.

Having same problem using DV capture through the toaster (Build 3866). When there is motion then frames start dropping or duplicatiing. Audio stays in sync though. Capture is set at:
"DV Video Encoder"
"Uncompressed PCM"
"720X480i 29.97fps NTSC"

So if I have to first capture realtime then compress how would I go about doing this as this is the first time I have a project requiring compression (2 hours worth)? I can't afford another system just to do compression to DV or hire an outside source.

Input source is analog.

Jim Wainscott
05-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Addendum:

Turning off the two toastervision monitors freed up enough CPU resources to do DV compression without any (noticeable) frame drops.

However this brings up another issue> Are my CPU's and memory going to burn up during the decoding process and from a 2-hour playback from TED? Is there a way to take a peek at the BIOS (to look at CPU temperatures) while in the toaster and or Windows 2000?

Scott Bates
05-12-2003, 05:06 PM
I have dual 1.7 Xeons on the SuperMicro P4DC6+ with 1GB RAM and using the MainConcept DV codec that Eugene suggested, I have no problems capturing and encoding to DV in realtime and neither capture/encode or playing back 2 hour DV projects has burned up anything. I'm running VTP3890, but it also worked fine on previous Toaster builds

mrjaialai
05-13-2003, 11:47 AM
A dual CPU system should not have a problem with DV capture, unless you have like 5 t-visions open. I'd take a glance at what else on your pc could possibly be slowing your resources down.

What other programs do you have on the start menu? If you can see an icon on the right side of your windows task bar that program is sapping resources the toaster would be loving to use.

Dou you have virus protection on your T2. Norton is pretty good product, but can be a resource killer. Also file sharing software like Kazaa, Morpheus etc.

If the computer used for the t2 is on the web at all, I'd think about checking for spyware, it seems to come from everywhere on the web nowadays. I've found that spyware seems to be hidden in web cookies quite a bit recently. You get one of those pop-up ads and it downloads spyware onto your computer along with the web cookie. My tech had us install a program called AD-Aware on all of our pc's here recently, it has helped resource problems on some of our networked computers.

Last but not least, make sure you don't have a ddr running in the background and just aren't noticing it. That has made me go do-oooh a couple of times.