PDA

View Full Version : Layer insert and delete in LW8 destoys layer names

animatedkona
05-12-2004, 01:43 PM
The commands Insert Layer and Delete Layer do move the layer contents around but can pretty much destroy the names of the layers.

Is there any work around for this?

Thanks,

Frank Purtiman

trick
05-12-2004, 03:16 PM
That's the result of perfect 3rd party INTEGRATION :D :D

animatedkona
05-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Any chance you could shed a little light about perfect 3rd party integration?

I have to admit, I was pretty happy about the insert and delete thing but surprised to see that it didn't move the layer names much less change the name of all affected layer(s) to "unnamed"

Thanks,

Frank

riki
05-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Try reporting it to [email protected] if you think it's a bug. Maybe someone esle can confirm.

brap
05-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by animatedkona
The commands Insert Layer and Delete Layer do move the layer contents around but can pretty much destroy the names of the layers.

I haven't noticed any problems with the Layer tools--they seem to be behaving as the old PlugIn. As before, be mindful that they will clear your clipboard.

ACLOBO
05-13-2004, 04:18 PM
You have to be mindfulof few things. First of all, a lot of the "new" tools are not new at all, simply plug-in's that Newtek aquired for this hurried, but delayed release. All the talk of the negative things that have been happening with these new tools seems evident that they are only marginally improved, but not truly integrated into lightwave.

In my opinion, LW[8] is a hack with some really cool new things in it, but a lot of stuff that was previously available in 7.5 for those that took the time to look. For instance, new tools like "super shift" - I was using it and all the rest of DI's powertools in 7.5.

The difference between them then and now is that [8] installed them and positioned them in the menu system.

[8] is impressive in some ways. In other ways, it is a nasty, ugly hack.... I have mixed feelings about it... :rolleyes:

-Adrian

animatedkona
05-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Let me add some fuel to the fire....... after some further testing...

It appears that:
1. Elements do move around properly from layer to layer with respect to polygons and points

2. Undo does not Un-shift layer names

3. DELETE LAYERS does not shift layer names around at all in any case....(elements in the layer, yes....layer names...no)

Now, Insert Layers appears to work but on the top most listed object ONLY!!!

Separate Objects and their layers listed BELOW the first object will get mixed results when trying to use Insert Layers. It appears that it is not simply re-naming affected layers to "Unnamed" but rather obtaining layer names from the FIRST OBJECT AT THE TOP OF THE LAYER WINDOW...

I had Inserting Layers and Deleting layers working via LScripts about a year ago. But I couldn't shift layer names because while there was a "getlayername" there wasn't a companion command like: "setlayername" I thought that maybe this was still the case, obviously this isn't as it can indeed shift layer names via Insert Layers.

Give it a try, create a few simple layers with some polygons and name them, try inserting and deleting some layers. Then create a second and third object and try inserting and deleting their layers and see what you get. Make sure that you use completely unique layers for all objects or what appears to be working at first, may actually be the copying of layer names from your first object in the layer window down to the object that you are currently working with!

Frank Purtiman

brap
05-14-2004, 08:24 AM
Unfortunately, I think you're right, Frank.

I was running into the same problems you describe this morning. LW8's Layer Insert can destroy the naming of all the layers that follow your layer insertion point.
So I loaded the old Layer Utilities, and Layer_Insert from that plug seems to be working ok. Let me know if you get the same results.

http://www.dtium.com/software/

animatedkona
05-14-2004, 09:52 PM
The old layer utilities work fine for me in LW7 & LW8 except for trying to undo insert or delete. I'm not surprised that the utilities cannot handle hierarchy as Lightwave struggles with it itself.

Ever notice that if you set up some Hierarchy in Modeler, save the object, send it to Layout and then make some changes or additions to the Hierarchy back in Modeler, that it will not update in Layout? Is it just me with this problem?

I have to admit, I did not know about these layer utilities. I have done several internet searches for something like this in the past and have never found anything.

I guess now more than ever, I'm really confused as to why Insert Layers and Delete Layers does not work in LW8. To be blunt, by now, I would have thought that you could drag and drop layers like Photoshop or Mirage.

Thanks for the utilities info, they will be most helpful...

Frank

brap
05-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Frank, the other thing that's nice about that plug which doesn't seem to be in LW8 is the ability to scroll up and down layers. I use that all the time.
Does anyone know what Layer Plug Newtek incorporated for 8?

animatedkona
05-15-2004, 11:51 PM
Jamie, I agree..In fact when I created keyboard shortcuts for insert and delete layers, I also added two shortcuts for scrolling layers up and down (CTRL+Arrow up & CTRL+Arrow down). That is a big help because you can look at at particular area while scrolling through layers without taking your eyes off of your work area to click on other layers in the Layers window....

I'm still curious as to how this plug was written without a command like "setlayername" which did not exist.

Another intersting idea for a layer plug would be "Swap Layers" where contents and layer names would swap between a single selected foreground layer and a single selected background layer.

Frank