PDA

View Full Version : bone & weight map problem

bluehand
05-12-2004, 01:26 PM
I'm very new to rigging (as you can see by attached image)
having some distortion problems,
when I move this spine bone, why is the head getting all distorted and even pulling out from inside the helmet- the head even has it's own separate weight map?
Also, the belt is stretching way too much when I bend the spine.
Advice is GREATLY appreciated on this, as I'm in the dark on this.

thanks much in advance.
http://www.bluehandgraphics.com/AndyBoneProblem.jpg

IZZE
05-12-2004, 02:14 PM
you have two objects for the head? Head and Hat object? Sharing the same weight map, right? Using one bone for that map, right?

bluehand
05-12-2004, 02:36 PM
the head is a bunch of objects (head, helmet, earpieces, etc.)
they are all in the same layer, in fact, the entire model is in 1 layer in Modeler.
Yes, the weight map for the head is 1 weight map, it is for all the pieces basically above the shoulders.

http://www.bluehandgraphics.com/AndyHeadWeightMap.jpg

IZZE
05-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Deformations set to last?

bluehand
05-12-2004, 03:05 PM
yes, deformations set to last,
just double-checked to be sure.

IZZE
05-12-2004, 06:40 PM
share your scene and objects. let me check it out.

Dodgy
05-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Do they use the same fall off?

Often used to be the case if you didn't have at least a non-active bone in the object which was using 'bones from' another object, it's fall off would revert to ^16 or something upon scene re load. You had to add a non-active bone to make sure the fall off stayed to what you set it.

David Chao
07-14-2004, 02:42 AM
Can anyone help? I'm having the same problem. I can send you my scene and object. My object subdivision order is set to "last" and each bone has its own weight map but when I move a bone, it distorts/influences another area. Please help!

Thanks!!!

Dodgy
07-14-2004, 02:58 AM
Do you want to post me your object to see if I can figure it out?

David Chao
07-14-2004, 09:33 AM
Here you go. Please let me know what you can find. Thanks!

Dodgy
07-14-2004, 10:47 AM
For a start it doesn't look like your lt leg bone has a weight map, as do a number of your other bones. This means it'll influence the whole mesh.

I've set it up properly, including RESTing your feet bones so they don't screw up the mesh. Have a look at the weight maps and see how are applied to multiple bones, and that use weight map only is off in all cases. This way it limits the bones to only influence the points within the weight map, but within those groups of bones which use a particular weightmap, the influence is calculated by falloff. This makes it easier to sort out areas of influence rather than having weight maps for individual bones. I gave the thumbs their own weightmaps to give a nice crisp structure to them.
If you want softer transitions, overlap your weight maps a little.

Have a look.

David Chao
07-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Dodgy, this is brilliant! It works fantastic now!
Thank you so much!

I've seen some people target their bones to Nulls.

For example:
BackBone1-> BackBone2-> NeckBone-> SkullBone-> Null (target)

They would use these target Nulls for both arms, both legs and the head. The whole character would also have a Parent Null. Would you recommend this or not?