PDA

View Full Version : Model scale size

edpilot
03-23-2003, 01:11 PM
OK...here's a really big-time newbie question. I am starting to model various aircraft. My preference is that each one that I model is in proper scale to another. I am referring to data for each plane which is dimensioned in feet (or sometimes meters).

Here is the question: what is a good recommendation for model size? If, say, a plane is 130 feet long (or whatever in meters), what is the best approach in Modeler for starting with scale? For some dumb reason, I have been simply modeling in mm. If an real-world object size is 1m x 1m, I have been using 1mm x 1mm. I have some nifty itty-bitty airplanes in a real world environment (they render well).

Does Lightwave care if my object is 60 meters? What happens when send my object into Lightwave for animation, and because of scale, my airplane needs to be at 12,000 meters above the ground plane?

Any advice from more advanced modelers would be greatly appreciated!

John Fornasar
03-23-2003, 02:17 PM
I've always modeled to scale, and if you begin now, it'll help you in the future when you are creating scenes, all models will be in relative scale.

One hassle in the past was with space scenes (and I don't know if this has been corrected, my work is down to earth)...

if you had a space ship, and wanted to have a properly scaled planet in the background (say 7,973 miles in diameter), there were problems in moving the camera, etc. The workaround was to stretch the single object (the earth) down to a small size globe in put it closer to your spaceships. The camera can't tell the difference, and it's easier to move your objects.

Freak
03-23-2003, 03:55 PM
It shoudn't be a problem with scale unless
you wish to move your objects at scale speeds and distances..

It won't make a difference to the renderer.. (if thats what your asking)

Buidling to scale is good, unless as John mentioned..
You have a planet the size of Mars and an Ant walking along the planet, then you will need to look for work-arounds.

I usally scale planets down to around 10% of their actual size...
Yoy may need to play with grid sizes etc.... to keep them all in view.

Skonk
03-23-2003, 05:49 PM
I usually create a box roughly the size of my object (in scale) then hit A to fit the view. then your all set to build your object to scale.

Also a nice feature when working with mesurements is the fact that modeler lets u input different formats into the numerical box's, for example, mm, cm, m, km, Mm and " (inch), Ft etc.. so if your working from plans using different mesurement systems its not a problem.

James..

Hervé
03-24-2003, 12:55 AM
it is going to be important if you plan to use hdri to light your scene.....

a house could look like a toy with hdri sometimes.....:p

aloysius1001
03-24-2003, 01:47 AM
Modeling to scale is important to the way LW calculates radiosity too if I'm not mistaken

Rory_L
03-24-2003, 02:47 AM
I got some sort of problem with procedural textures when I made a very small object to scale in LW5.6 It was a long time ago and I don`t really recall what the problem was and I don`t know if it would still be a problem with the latest version of LW, so...I`m not being much help here!! :D

R

Hervé
03-24-2003, 03:17 AM
with hdri lighting, it has to do with the way LW handles the shadows, no ??

edpilot
03-24-2003, 06:32 AM
Wow...great advice from all of you! Thanks so much for your input! Looks like modeling to scale is the way to go!