PDA

View Full Version : Hair source code available

gjjackson
05-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Some time back I was looking for something to generate Hair. Obviously there were a number of options. I came across this one and seen some of the videos using it and was impressed. I was interested in it and found it was shelved. I contacted them about it because they had offered a beta at one time. My reply was they are willing to sell the source code. Since Newtek has evidently purchased other source code I thought I'd let you all know it's is available.

I don't know how this compares to Sasquatch, since I don't have the full version. I'm really not too impressed with the lite version.

http://www.fxrealm.com/products/furistic/lwfeatures.htm

pixelinfected
05-14-2004, 08:07 AM
i bought sas immediately when it exit, and i'm happy user of it.
sas lite is very littel brother of sas full.
you have control and power in sas full that you can't believe, more over that you on that furryc plugin. and more.

sas is more flexible, and it's fast, very fast, also for billion of fiber.
if you check on sas gallery, and in furrific gally you have the answer to the question, why newtek add sas lite instead of furrific.

(the avaiblility for pc and mac is another reason.)

try to check the worley web, and see how is powerful sas, how many control panel and parameters you have, and you understand the real power of sas.
have a nice day.

gjjackson
05-14-2004, 09:14 AM
Yeah Worley's probably is pretty good. I wasn't too impressed with the lite version though. It has too many limitations. I added this to the feature section just because my correspondence with FXRealm was that they are willing to sell the source code. It would be a good thing if there are other options. This source code is something that could be integrated with LW. SasLite could still be included. I wouldn't expect this option would replace Sasquatch. For the price Sas should and does have much more capability. I would probably buy Sasquatch if I had enough need for it. Unfortunately I don't. I would like an alternative though. Or if SasLite would incorporate a bit more would also be an alternative. I just don't want to buy so many plugins that the price is up there with SoftImage. It isn't a problem yet, but if an upgrade would nullify current plugins to where I would have to purchase upgraded plugins that would cause me to reconsider what options I have.

Worley does have products that are worth investing in. Take FPrime. No matter what I'm doing I have a benefit using it. Even if the price was more I would've gotten it. The advantages of time make it worth it. It would be better if it worked with all functions. Doesn't seem to work with HV's.

tudor
05-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Haha.. I work with both guys who did that plug.. They shelved it because if sas and shave and haircut.. THey still claim that it would have been kick *** though.. :)

Revanto
05-14-2004, 08:13 PM
I had shave and a haircut and it wasn't as friendly as saslite. I've seen Sasquatch in action but it still lacks some tools in aiding hair modelling. Also, Shave is dead in LW (Joe Alter abandoned us) with no more support so I don't see why they can't re-awaken the plugin. If they created some more friendlier tools to help make the process quicker and make the price lower than Sasquatch, it would be able to compete with Worley.

Revanto

gjjackson
05-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by tudor
Haha.. I work with both guys who did that plug.. They shelved it because if sas and shave and haircut.. THey still claim that it would have been kick *** though.. :)

Are you refering to FXRealm developers. The word I got from them is they quit development at the time of LW 6. I wasn't involved in 3D then so I don't know how the others compared back then. I just hate to see a decent piece of software just sitting there not being pursued. When I wrote them they asked what contacts I had with Newtek. Well I have none, so I decided to just post here. I don't know what the cost of source code would be. I'm assuming it's out of my reach. The other reason I wouldn't pursue it for development is that I've never did any programming for 3D. I've only written software for paging and IVR systems, so I would also have to employ someone to write or rewrite code. I'm still struggling Using 3D software in some ways.

tudor
05-15-2004, 12:38 PM
The reason that they didn't finish it was that they went several months without pay.. They did not just decide it was crap and stop because of that..

I can talk to them and see what they say about digging up their old LW plugin skills :)

Revanto
05-15-2004, 10:01 PM
It's a pity they don't continue developing it independently then selling the plugin through a company. That way, they wouldn't be paid to develop a product but developing a finished product for retail. And if the quality is as good as Sasquatch but cheaper, it may be a better option for some people. They could even develop a lite version which is better than saslite.

Personally, if the source code became open source for the general public, there will be a rush to get some independent hair plugins out there by developers and we'd get a good mix of styles.

Revanto

gjjackson
05-16-2004, 09:53 AM
I can talk to them and see what they say about digging up their old LW plugin skills :)

I wish I had those skills. I don't know when they discontinued (at around the time of LW6) but there are more ways of selling product nowadays. I know they have developed Creature Creator which is pretty good. Unfortunately I have no use for that kind of product at this time. Not sure of what further development is needed for current LW but they DID offer it to me if I was still using v6. And don't know what's different between that earlier version of LW and the current.

By all means talk to them. They have at least one potential customer. I would also like to see them come up with other products also.

gjjackson
06-03-2004, 06:07 PM

Heard anything yet?

TheDAve
06-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Revanto
there will be a rush to get some independent hair plugins out there by developers and we'd get a good mix of styles.

Hair Styles?

Sorry.... I'll get my Coat!

DAve

tudor
06-04-2004, 12:16 PM
I talked to them..
They said that there was a lot of work left before it would be finished.. No interest in finishing it I am afraid :/

Revanto
06-05-2004, 03:19 AM
Ask them if they would be willing to release some of the coding freely to the public (Not all. Just the base codes for the hair without dynamics and styling codes). I mean, since they're not going to use it, others would be able to learn from it.

Revanto