PDA

View Full Version : Less stable- More stable?

theo
05-11-2004, 10:22 PM
I am going to say that so far in the midst of a pretty heavy-duty job that LW has been incredibly unstable. Both Modeler and Layout are just turning out to be so unstable. I have been trying my darndest to be positive but I am not happy with this one bit.

WinXP- Dual 2.8 Xeons- 2000 MB Ram and still having issues with system lockups and crashes. From super-shift tool lockups to ring selection of points lockups to openGL issues in Layout to files not saving properly within Layout just to name a few.

Anyone having these problems? I have been working twelve hour days so LW is definitely being put through its paces.

Chris S. (Fez)
05-12-2004, 12:39 AM
Ouch. It is mildly distressing to hear this from someone seemingly so dedicated to Newtek. 5.6 never crashed (well almost never...). I guess those days are long gone.

I don't have 8 yet (dammit!) but Layout in 7.5c is a frickin infestation of bugs. Those nifty "new" mesh tools in Modeler seem to be as unstable in 8 as they are in 7.5. Before I added those tools to 7.5, modeler never crashed.

In Modeler you can sacrifice workflow for stability and just use tools, like smoothshift and extender, that were native to 7.5.

In Layout, if you are working with intense scenes, I am not sure there is getting around at least a couple crashes. I am just sorry I have to tolerate yet another unstable version of Layout to interface with Fprime. I like Lightwave, I don't want to leave it, but I am so tired of the same old same old.

zecryan
05-12-2004, 04:23 AM
I have not have had 1 crash in modeler of layout of lightwave 8 yet, so far it seems better than 7.5c too me.

mkiii
05-12-2004, 04:58 AM
I'd say it seems pretty much the same as 7.5 for stability.

I get the same sort of crashes, mostly in Layout. Some of the *new* modeler tools such as Super Shift are painfully slow to use, especially on a large object. Are these tools tested on complex objects at all?

Odd that Edge Bevel (with it's preview mode) is super fast. I suppose it has to do with the bought in nature of these additions.

theo
05-12-2004, 06:20 AM
Hey Chris- I am still very dedicated to Lightwave but like any familial relationship there are ups and downs and this week, for some reason, I have had a lot of issues.

kyfsu00
05-12-2004, 06:44 AM
dont have many crashes in either 7.5 or 8.0. though i dont use 8.0 because it runs so bad in layout and modeler ie: choppy like there are alot of polys when there isnt and the objects/scenes run fine in 7.5.

theo
05-12-2004, 07:04 AM
I have had several crashes in Layout just by switching camera views. This may be openGL related but I have plenty of power in that end with a Quadro FX 1100.

Also if you save out new .pfx files and in some cases new .lws files
you have to manually type the file extension or it will not be saved. Trust me on this I have had several files completely lost this way.

I am surpised nobody has had issues with the ring select tool in point mode. On a model with as little as 25,000 polys it will just lock-up Modeller. This tool is such a life-saver that it has left me a bit mystified as to why it doesn't work properly unless it has a threshold poly count.

prospector
05-12-2004, 07:39 AM
I don't think I had 7.5 go down as often as 8 does now.
I've had it 2 weeks now and yet to be able to do work with it from 7.5 stuff I made. Spreadsheet seems to be 1 problem as whenevery I use it, Layout just crashes when scene is cleared, and Scematic just crashes instantly whenever I just click on anything in that window.

I can load and clear the LW8 stuff all day long and it's fine (I did just load, play with settings, play with bones, for 2 days straight), but I go back to stuff I made in 7.5 (B).......crash every time.

I woulda liked to get a list of all the equipment that all the 'BETA' testers used to test this thingy, just to see if I am even close to being OK in that area.

P4 2.8 GHz
Nvidia Ti4200 128 megs ram @ 8XAGP
(got these just to use 8 on (faster than I used 7.5 on)) and while I was waiting for 8, 7.5 ran surpurb on this setup.

badllarma
05-12-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by mkiii
Are these tools tested on complex objects at all?

You can say that again after looking at the iK Boost tool and the HardFX I was sold, thinking the calculate once would be really handy but when I actually start using the HardFX on real sized models with a decent poly count as usual Lightwave grinds very slowly through things :(

The spec of my machine is P4 2.6 1 gig of RAM and a Rad9700 graphics card boy would I hate to run LW 8 on a minimum spec machine :rolleyes:

And the calculate once is just plain WRONG you alter ANYTHING on the HardFX interface and you have to recalulate it :rolleyes:
Also in HardFX if say you want to destroy a building (as a project I'm working on at present) If you want it to look anything like a real structure you have to create walls as brick by brick method as it still calcualtes a poly object divided up by tools such as the knife tool as a single object.

Final with regards to the subject I've had a lot more crashes with 8 than 7.5c :rolleyes:

anieves
05-12-2004, 07:54 AM
prospector, make sure you have the latest nvidia drivers. I have almost the same set up and I haven't had those problems.

P4 2.5
1 Gig Ram
Nvidia Ti 4600

I've been running L8 for 3 days non stop now without a crash. Layout did crash on me twice before, don't remember what caused the crash but after I downloaded the drivers It hasn't crashed... yet.

mkiii is right.
the tools formely known as DI Powertools are painfully slow and sometimes don't even work. I belive the reason for those to be so slow is that they are still Scripts (.ls) instead of plugins (.p) and therefore the huge slowdown. Some tools still lack a cancel button and some don't let you to interactively move the viewports until you click "ok"

hopefully NT will fix these in the next point release.

Karmacop
05-12-2004, 09:03 AM
Not needing to recalculate was for some of the softbody stuff, of course you need to recalculate for hard bodies.

theo
05-12-2004, 09:06 AM
HardFX as it is now is really useful but yet very limiting if you use it on an object that is sliced up on a single layer.

I have a statue to crush with a lot of PFX alongside and have found that the best way to apply PFX and alternative control mechanisms at this stage is by having every broken piece on a separate layer. This sounds like a nightmare and it is kind of but I get so much more control this way and the pieces are much more predicatable.

But there is one thing I really do like about the dynamics and that is the centralized feel within the objects menu of all of the dynamics. This is really useful and I pretty much don't even use the FX browser at all.

One bummer with the HardFx is that you cannot attach emitters to the broken shards if they are in the same layer within the HardFX object, unless I am missing something. Hypervoxels will not allow itself to be applied to these shards in the case you may want an event-based reaction to the shards. This is one of the reasons why I went with layer based shards rather than a flattened structure.

theo
05-12-2004, 09:10 AM
As an aside- I know you can attach emitters to the nodes for each piece but I did not want a central node controlling the emitter property- I wanted that shard to become an emitter itself and unless I am missing something this is not possible within the HardFX options.

badllarma
05-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Karmacop
Not needing to recalculate was for some of the softbody stuff, of course you need to recalculate for hard bodies.

are that will explain it then :)

prospector
05-12-2004, 01:29 PM
anieves what number are you using?

I've tried the newest I could find for that board (61 something)
I've tried the detonators, I've tried the forcewares, regular nvidia, and the Quadros.
Same thing on all them.

anieves
05-12-2004, 01:59 PM
I'm using the forceware found here:

click me (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_56.72)

the version number is 56.72, released April 1 04

before installing the new drivers I uninstalled the old ones...

hope that helps.