PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play with LW8 content yet?

Intuition
05-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Was opening the new content bundled with LW8 today.

Some of it is the usual low end stuff to show you an example how a certain effect or tool works but some of the stuff is really neat.

I never really cared for the bundled content that came with LW before but 8 comes with some nice stuff.

The surface mandalor thingy is nice.

Just wondering what people thought of the new stuff?

cresshead
05-11-2004, 07:16 PM
the new content from what i've seen so far is very welcome..though i've decided t halt my exploration of the 2 additions cd's worth as i want to learn lightwave 8 first and then look at the huge amount of scenes..of course i'll be loading up the tutorial and feature scenes though!....the other's will need to wait a while!....i'm busy creating in lw8.0 currently!

theo
05-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Hate to be a stooge but the content is, as always, well done but not geared toward anything practical. As a matter of fact I am going to venture to say the only things worth looking at are the nicely done models if you need help in that area- which I don't.

The dynamics scenes are not easily beckward-engineered so you cannot really get a lesson from those- even though I already have a handle on this end any extra help in simulation work is always useful. And to top it off the dynamics scenes are so average that any basic PFX beginner can do this stuff.

The IK examples are useful look at- but without tutorial based guidance, not really useful to learn from.

To me the content CD is not in any way shape or form geared toward high-enders and this is a disappointment along with the disappointment with how unstable LW8 has been in the last week.

prospector
05-11-2004, 10:52 PM
I've gone thru all the scenes. Nothing really spectacular.
Some kind of hints would have been nice (read me files or web page files) to let us know where all the new stuff has been used, as going thru every menu or window looking for checked boxes or plug-ins, gets to be painful.

But some stuff I saw gave me ideas of other things I would like to try, so concentrating on reverse engineering on those scenes might be helpful.

And some of the base setups (thinking of the car scene) could be useful in showcasing other stuff.

Theo....along with the disappointment with how unstable LW8 has been in the last week.

I totally agree:(

Hervé
05-11-2004, 11:37 PM
I wonder why they always come up with scenes that are too "simple"...? We hear LW was used in this impressive movie, or in this image... and say woaw... when I open the CD content (BTW, one of the cd's is just a copy of the lw7 content) I see nothing but un-explained scenes, impossible back engin. scenes, so what's the point..?

The collision with the " small cartoon character" is pretty, but when I use real # polys models, .....Ouch !! hurts ")88!!

I am sure if these scenes had attached simple text files explaining a bit at least what they wanted to show you... it would be useful... I mean.... I opened some scenes and was thinking, what the heck !.... I think we pay now the fact that we were so impatient, NT HAD to deliver, but I feel lot of things are un-documented or un-explained, ....because it is whether un-finished or not really working the way it should....

...and all that is OK, I know right now they are already working on a 8.XX version, in fact I am pretty sure... while the first LW 8 CD's were shipping, the coders were already correcting bugs, if not, at least trying to tame them....:D

BTW, I'd really like to know if they are already working with Steve Worley... (U know the story about -SDK Grand Opening-)

I think all the LW'ers who bought F_Prime are the ones who bought the LW8 upgrade, so F_Prime is now LW's best bet...

M. NT, if you did not already call.... well take your phone this Morning and call M. Steve Worley, .... Please...;) :D

colkai
05-12-2004, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by theo
The dynamics scenes are not easily beckward-engineered so you cannot really get a lesson from those- even though I already have a handle on this end any extra help in simulation work is always useful.

Totally agree with this, I was hoping to get an insight to the new dynamics by looking at the scenes, but they are all set with a forced motion file.

Now it looks like we will have to fork out for a tutorial manual.
I remember back in the day, the reference manual came wiht some nice starting tutorials for each section, made it a whole lot easier to get into. Ahh well, there's always Dan Ablan, let's face it, most of us will be buying his books, the un-official "official" training material. ;)