PDA

View Full Version : Why I love fPrime

cagey5
05-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Ok so it's no great shakes but this is something I always gave up on in the past, but I started with a blank sheet, 10 minutes modelling for the three vases, 10 minutes tweaking textures with fPrime and another 5 minutes throwing some basic lighting at it, and off to watch the telly for half an hour while it renders away.
It's simple things like this that just makes me want to play with Lightwave all the time and bearing in mind it's the first time I've tackled anything in glass and it's hat's off to Mr Worley.

Well it keeps me amused whilst I wait for LW8 to pop through the door and for me half an hour from start to finish is damned good :)

Oh and that ground plane texture.. terrible isn't it? Yeah I thought so to, but it wasn't what I was thinking about at the time.

kml12
05-11-2004, 03:38 PM
I know what you mean, I hope we get some news soon about the SDK being cracked open for Steve:D

Philipp
05-11-2004, 04:29 PM
Your slightly milky glass in the middle is simply splendid. Great material.

Wade
05-11-2004, 04:38 PM
sell out - sell you presets! :D

cresshead
05-11-2004, 05:24 PM
wow!..very nice glass!

Calamari
05-11-2004, 06:24 PM
Nice glass, I would suggest you post your presets at www.presetcentral.com! :D

StevenDS
05-11-2004, 07:29 PM
I simply HAVE to get fPrime

By the way, did you use an 'air' set of polys for your vases?

-Steve

Intuition
05-11-2004, 11:17 PM
Nice glass. Yep F-Prime is used in every scene I build.

If I use Radiosity then its an automatic use of F-Prime.

I have made alot of nice radiosity renders in F-Prime.

This Glass is further testament to its ability to create stunning imagery through Lightwave. Utilizing LW strengths at a nice pace.

If I need Animated hypervoxels or flares I just add em later with an alpha channel in After effects. Hypervoxels Key perfectly and lens flares are easy to track as well.

ANy more shots of the glass :D!

cagey5
05-11-2004, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The milky texture is unintended I think it's a result of refractiong the blurry image in the background, though I do want to try dirtying up a few glass textures to see how that would work.
Steve. Yes, air polys were used it was really getting that in place that makes the whole thing work. So easy when you can see the results of your changes almost instantly though.

cagey5
05-12-2004, 12:33 AM
Don't know if it's useful to anyone, but here's the scene files and objects. Just a small token for all the help I've had from here in the past.

btw. The scale of the objects are all whacked, but the scene sorts it out.

colkai
05-12-2004, 02:50 AM
Nice one Cagey!
Ain't FPrime grand? ;)

I must admit, my understanding of textures and lighting is actually starting to sink in now I have FPrime.
I can actually see straight off the effect of moving the lights and changing the properties is having. So cool! :cool:

cagey5
05-12-2004, 10:58 AM
Yeah. Couldn't agree more Colkai. It's that instant feedback[or near as] that keeps you tweaking to improve things. I acheived more in 10 minutes texturing the vases than I would have done in a week otherwise because waiting for traditional renders after each adjustment just stymies experimentation.

Beamtracer
05-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Fprime is breakthrough technology, and great for previewing, but it won't really be widely adopted for production until it can be used with other Lightwave plug-ins.

theo
05-12-2004, 09:09 PM
As far as production level use goes Beam- I am on a production-grade project right now and I was in your camp a couple of weeks ago but I can tell you right now that FPrime is incredible for frame-stepping through animated camera movements. On this particular production FPrime has been indespensible and a boon to my creativity.

Nemoid
05-13-2004, 02:33 AM
WOOOOT ! i love Fprime too! it woirks into my dinosaur PC too, even if i am really going to build a new machine. can't wait to see it doing all my preview stuff and much more!

BTW wonderful image. :)

Larrikin
05-15-2004, 12:46 AM
FPrime is truly excellent. One of the things I appreciate most is the DOF is so much better than LWs renderer. For that alone it's worth having.

silverlw
05-15-2004, 01:43 AM
Motion blur! the MB is awesome!

Beamtracer
05-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by silverlw
Motion blur! the MB is awesome!

Fprime's motion blur is truly awesome. But what do you do when you get the choice of either Fprime's great motion blue OR your other Lightwave plug-ins?

Maybe Worley Labs should release the motion blur as a separate plug-in (separate to the rest of Fprime) to allow it to work with other Lightwave plug-ins.

hrgiger
05-15-2004, 08:25 PM
I love F-Prime. This isn't the best example but this rendered in about 2 minutes with F-Prime and you don't even want to know how long it took Lightwave.

mechis
05-16-2004, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the vases
~Mechis

chikega
05-16-2004, 02:51 PM
Has anyone tried to render the The_Matrix scenes in the Absract Folder (LW8 Content 1 CD) with FPrime?

All I get is a blank screen ... :confused:

silverlw
05-16-2004, 04:14 PM
It's because the display subpatch level is 0 for that object and that is what fprime renders,increase it.

hrgiger
05-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Actually, it's not the subdivision level, you have to change the subdivision order which is currently set to last for those scense. Fprime doesn't render that particular subd order.