PDA

View Full Version : ZOIC Studios: 8 Galactica 2003 Hi Rez renders

robertoortiz
05-11-2004, 09:30 AM
>>link<< (http://www.galactica2003.net/colonials/galacticatv.shtml)

-R

Draven
06-01-2004, 02:37 PM
My god the polys....

hazmat777
06-02-2004, 12:27 AM
Raven-

Your response made me check out the link.

It (response) reminded me of an old friend who always seemed to be holding his car keys in his hand at the perfect moment to drop them dramatically on the floor anytime something blew him away. If he was here now and I loaded up the Galactica link he would no doubt be holding his keys, drop them on whatever surface was around to give maximum volume and say, "My god, the poly's....oh intense!" :D

hazmat777
06-02-2004, 12:28 AM
Sorry- Draven not Raven. oops!

Draven
06-02-2004, 01:28 AM
That's what it was meant as... is 3.5 million polys not enough for ya?

hazmat777
06-02-2004, 01:38 AM
Amazing CG work. I was really looking forward to the show. The sound was realistic (no sound in space) but very un-effective for a movie. The battle scenes in my opinion were hurt badly by a lack of soundtrack back up. Was it all LW? Looks very impressive indeed.

hazmat777
06-02-2004, 01:44 AM
Sending the link to CG friends. Thanks for the tip. I'm a few years away from that level of skill to say the least...;)

Jace-BeOS
06-02-2004, 01:10 PM
There was sound in space in the pilot/mini-series... it was just very subdued. This was a good choice. It feels odd and strange (a good thing) to people who expect loud noise (which wouldn't be there), giving it something unique over the other science fiction stuff that tends to use sound. It's still more sound than what would be realistic. See Firefly and 2001 for totally silent space scenes (the same FX company did Firefly's FX, by the way).

I'm looking forward to this new series for the effects work by Zoic, alone. Zoic has done the most realistic TV science fiction visuals I've seen yet since Farscape (and Farscape only did its best during season one and maybe two). Fantastic designs, great motion, fantastic lighting and, overall, quite photorealistic.

I did enjoy the new BG mini-series quite a bit, despite it lacking any "alien society" feeling (something the classic series accomplished with their vocabulary and naming). I hope to see more.

Thanks for the link to the pictures. I'd love to see a gallery of all the design work done for both Battlestar Galactica and Firefly. Heck, Farscape, too. Lots of great design work that can only be seen for painfully brief moments!

igorstshirts
06-02-2004, 02:25 PM
When Roberto first posted the link at CGtalk, I thought the ship still looked pretty small... But, these new high res renders are craaaaaazy. So much detail and work. Zoic is doing good.

iandavis
06-02-2004, 03:51 PM
I know this reply is not directly related to the CG, but I felt the lack, or rather, the subdued soundtrack during the space sequences allowed the viewer to identify with the events and added in a very substantial way to the reality of the shots! I was very impressed!

Remember, Lucas was given a very hard time about the idea of putting 'classical' type music as a backdrop for the space battles in Starwars, which now has become a defacto standard for sci-fi fare. Such innovation should be applauded!

On that note, the inclusion of physics based motion, ie. retrojets, plus camera zooms and pans (like a news crew feel) WITH the silent space scenes just work so well together to overcome the 'cg-ness' of it all.

Ubergood from my standpoint!

iandavis.ws

harlan
06-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Strike me up as un-impressed. I mean, yeah the model is kick *** for sure, but the lighting, surfacing, & texturing is awful.

It sort of reminds me of the very first issue of VTU magazine with Bab5 on the cover. Can we please move along from texturing spaceships with that same 'ol look.

I mean jesus christ - those "FI" maps, etc... never looked altogether that good to begin with, but everyone sticks to that style for spacecraft. Gimmie a break - lets have some originality.

Aside from that. Incredible, incredible model. This thing could be incredibly convincing, but the lighting & shading instantly make it look like a plastic toy model - might as well stick a "sparkler" up that baby's poopshoot call it "Flash Gordon - 2003"

Jace-BeOS
06-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Yes, in those shots, the texturing and lighting are not so great. Remember, however, that this work was done for TV screen presentation. On TV you do not see the textures the same way and almost never without motion and blur. If this model was designed for still shots, it would probably have more to the textures. I think the lighting is, in this case, purely for clearly seeing the model and not for presentation.

B5... well, that's due to the age and era. The stuff in the B5 universe improved slowly and steadily up to the end of Crusade (and went to hell again in Legend of the Rangers, a piece of crap if ever there was one). They had tight budgets and time constraints. I can excuse it for its context. Today, though, stuff has to be better.

I'm curious about your style complaints, though. What are FI maps? Can you give some examples about what the old look is and what you'd like to see instead? I hope to be designing spacecraft in 3D at some point for fun, so I am seriously interested in this topic.

legomanww
06-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Amazing work. The textures have amazing detail, what size texture maps did you use?

Great detail on the rest of the ship, stunning.