PDA

View Full Version : Opening Title Sequence

d8ed
03-23-2003, 08:29 AM
here i was fiddling with lightwave and came up with this. i had no idea it could be this useful. so here it is.. my reel's opening title sequence..

www.d8ed.netfirms.com/TitleSequence.mov 1.3 meg Quicktime

http://www.d8ed.netfirms.com/Titles.jpg

Zarathustra
03-23-2003, 09:49 AM
Not to take away from your effect, but I think your type is difficult to read. The spaces in the "E"s and the holes for the "B"s and "P"s, for instance, are not distinct enough.

Personally, I would try it again with a different font. The idea is to make people know who you are, right?

d8ed
03-23-2003, 09:53 AM
that's exactly what i wanted to hear. i was debating that myself. i could soften that look a bit by turning down the bloom i put on there. without it the letters are much easier to read ;)

Zarathustra
03-23-2003, 09:56 AM
Yeah, maybe. I still think that you should consider stretching the height of the letters, at least, if you're married to that font. That might open those spaces enough to make the letters more legible.

d8ed
03-23-2003, 10:10 AM
not quite married to it.. but engaged ;) and just like any fiancee out there, you're allowed to shape them into the perfect wife. i'm gonna go back and do a little editing on the shapes and open up the holes a bit. try a couple different things. sprite volumetrics.. i didnt even know what those were till today

Zarathustra
03-23-2003, 10:20 AM
Make sure you REALLY distinguish between the "B" and the"8", because I can hardly see a difference. That's a pitfall of using a font without any curves. I'd consider making a more standard, rounded "8".

d8ed
03-23-2003, 10:23 AM
how's this? it's full size this time at 720x486

http://www.d8ed.netfirms.com/GeorgeSaliba2.jpg

Zarathustra
03-23-2003, 10:25 AM
Better. Open up the "A" and the "S" and I'm still not buying the "8".

d8ed
03-23-2003, 10:31 AM
that damn 8 is gonna pose a problem. any changes i make stand out like a sore thumb. thanks for the comments by the way. i love nothing more than an honest criticism.

http://www.d8ed.netfirms.com/GeorgeSaliba3.jpg

d8ed
03-23-2003, 11:43 AM
and an updated movie. thanks again for the help Zarathustra. it's improved quite a bit. think i'm gonna risk it on the 8. fortunately, i'm putting labels on my demo tape when i make it so my perspective employers wont have to rely on the what's on the screen to find me ;)

www.d8ed.netfirms.com/OpeningTitles3.mov 1.3 megs

JeromeMD
03-23-2003, 11:51 AM
Nice work. I don't understand why you don't use the "8" shaped like you have it in your logo (the icon you use in your posts, I assume that's your logo). This might be interesting and solve the issue of confusing the 8 with a B. Also it would "brand" you video with your signature 8... Yes I do work for a PR/Marketing firm :)

d8ed
03-23-2003, 11:56 AM
heh.. not a bad idea. that logo thing under my name is a couple of years old. i think i'm gonna keep it the way it is so that i'm not drawing all the attention to the 8. artistic eyes especially are drawn to imperfections and to things that dont belong. i tried smoothing the 8 a bit and all i could do was stare at it. i'll give it a shot later on tonight and see what happens. i might end up liking it :D time for bed though, it's 11am and i've been up all night.

edit: i found the font on this page here

http://www2.wind.ne.jp/maniackers/designfont.html

lots of japanese themed fonts there and most on that page are free.

Mylenium
03-23-2003, 11:35 PM
Sorry for having to say this, but I think the type is still not the best solution. It is difficult to read and the way you use it suggests you would be better off with a more classical font. The type you used would come out cool if it was dancing around in a funny/ funky way for some sort of comic style animation. I also think this golden look is part of the problem. Have you tried contours only or another color?

Mylenium

d8ed
03-23-2003, 11:53 PM
nope. i tried a couple of fonts and this one suited itself to this since it was so blocky and didnt have fine curved features that got washed out. and as far as the color was concerned, i'm quite happy with that. i really didnt want white as it'd be too plain and anything darker would be hard to read. what kind of color do you have in mind? also i've got variations in the volumetric lighting and when you couple that with the bloom it's giving a nice effect.

what kind of font would be more comfortable to look at for you?

Gluge
03-24-2003, 04:35 PM
I'd say use a normal font, like Ariel, for the 8 and just stick it in.

it shouldn't look tooo odd since the 8 is the only number there.

or yea... maybe try a different font entirely... just might like it 8*)

Mylenium
03-24-2003, 11:55 PM
I was thinking more of a Swiss or something like that... anyway, I'm quite sure when digging through my thousands of fonts I would find something similar to your type but more eye pleasing. As for the colors: I think it is too oversaturated and the lighting overshoots in too many areas. Also some rim lighting would accentuate the 3D effect.

Mylenium

DigiMatt
03-25-2003, 01:33 AM
yay.. thats a really nice effect you got there, wanna give some hints on how you did it? :)

d8ed
03-25-2003, 01:34 AM
what 3D effect? heh.. i wasnt going for one of those. it's meant to be flat like that.. here's basically what i did..

took a flat grid, subdivided it a bunch of times and extruded in the Z axis. made some text and extruded that. did a boolean subtract with the text from the grid and got my cutout. positioned the cutout facing the camera and had 3 lights behind it with volumetrics enabled on sprite mode. the cutout is a constant black material. the sprite volumetrics are what show the actual orangish letters. to push that effect a bit more, i applied Bloom and FP Blur to finish it off. i also animated the 3 lights' intensities and varied their color slightly. that gave me the baseline color effect. as for the wiping of the text, i created another spot with a focused beam and moved it across the back of the letters pointing towards the camera. parented to that is a black rectangle that trailed behind the light. by varying the volumetric height i was able to get that popping out effect going.

what do you mean by the light overshoots?

edit: i forgot to add normal motion blur at 150% contributed quite a bit to the effect also. without it you can see the actual letters being pushed out by the light.

d8ed
03-25-2003, 01:36 AM
DigiMatt thanks. you caught me in mid explanation :D

Epita
03-25-2003, 09:15 AM
its a really cool effect, I like how you did it, i thought it was done in post or something like that.

Epita

d8ed
03-25-2003, 09:24 AM
i'm embarassed to say how i came up with this.. i was going for that volumetric lights through the text thing.. couldnt get anything to look quite right and then i saw the sprite mode thing and flipped it on and started experimenting. it's quite fun when things render this fast and you can tweak away real quick.

edit: i'm taking a stand against the persecuters of this poor font. :D it's an innocent font, it never hurt anyone. Masayuki Sato (the creator) doesn't deserve this!

:D

Zarathustra
03-25-2003, 10:07 AM
The font is fine....except for your open. If you didn't have the "8" you'd be ok.

There are a lot of fonts I love, but I use the font(s) best suited for the job.

Using a different font for the "8" isn't going to kill you. A compromise might be making an "8" by attaching two stop signs together, above and below, and punching the holes through them. You'ed still have a squared off look that would match your font but have an "8" that is more defined and clearly different from your "B".

The effect is fine. My first instinct would be that it was done in AE with Shine or DE Bloom.

d8ed
03-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Yeah Trapcode's Shine is a nice one. i'm still tempted to toss this into AE and slap some filters on it. the whole font thing is just funny. i'll change the 8 and will post it tonight sometime. got about 700 frames to render in the meantime. :D

d8ed
03-25-2003, 08:30 PM
by popular demand here's a new 8. changed the URL too cuz i bought that domain. better? worse? just change the whole thing?

http://www.d8ed.com/Images/GeorgeSaliba4.jpg