PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering problem resolved

slacker
05-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Recently we had been having a severe problem with video clips of all sorts stuttering where they had not before. We originally just assumed it was the newest T[3] patch, which provided higher quality processing.

However, we happened to be browsing the forums for another video editing company and noticed that a specific service patch for XP (namely KB824141) had caused tremendous trouble to the software because the patch changed a low level paint method, which was killing the screen redraw rate. Uninstalling the patch was the original cure.

We tried uninstalling that patch on our T[3] machine and remarkably enough the Toaster is back to its happy self. All the recent stuttering we had been having are gone. If you've been having stuttering video clips lately, check to see if that patch is installed. If so, uninstalling it might help your system.

Scott Bates
05-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Unlike others, I haven't had stuttering problems, but that's a valuable little tidbit, thanks Joel.

bradl
05-10-2004, 02:09 PM
I have that patch and I would guess most here with XP do. It was installed as part of the Automatic Updates. There were some security issues addressed in this MS patch (buffer over-run exploitations).

It would be best to confirm this has caused VT3 slower performance before we start recommending removing it. On the other hand, it would be great to find out this is the cause of the onset of studdering problems for some (including me).

I will ask Andrew to have a look at this.

Thanks!

stargatesg1
05-10-2004, 02:27 PM
That cant be all the answer. I too am studdering where i never used to. Note i do not have that patch.
Maybe something else.
Daniel

Blaine Holm
05-10-2004, 02:36 PM
We are currently testing this. I can tell you that it made AVID Xpress Pro completely unusable......, so I would consider it as a cause for sure.

Blaine Holm
05-12-2004, 10:32 AM
So far, this seems to be helping in most cases.

wvp
05-12-2004, 04:58 PM
It may help, but I can say that I have the "stutters" and our system has NO Windows updates/hotfixes, etc.

Blaine Holm
05-12-2004, 05:27 PM
none at all? because you should have the critical updates, except the problem one.

Bobt
05-12-2004, 06:51 PM
How would I know if I have the patch. In my
Add/Remove Programs I dont see it.
So if its not there then where do I look?

Bob

Jim_C
05-12-2004, 07:00 PM
>>How would I know if I have the patch.

Run Windows Update as usual.

When it gives you the choices of updates in the left window, click 'View Installation History' under Other Options.

Not sure how to remove if it's not in Add/Remove tho.

Jim

wvp
05-13-2004, 07:17 AM
How would I know if I have the patch.
If you go into Start menu/control panel/add remove programs you will see a list of windows "hotfixes" that are installed on your system.
Look for one that says KB824141 and select remove.

Blaine,
The computer shows no updates installed. I have NEVER connected the computer to the internet so it would have now way of getting them nor would I think they would be needed (at least if everything is working, don't mess with it!)

Bobt
05-13-2004, 08:09 AM
This machine as well.

Bob

stargatesg1
05-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Bobt
This machine as well.

Bob
same here.. Don't ahve the update and I too am studering all the time.. sadly... never used to happen.. Very very frustrating..

Bobt
05-13-2004, 09:44 AM
>same here.. Don't ahve the update and I too am studering all >the time.. sadly... never used to happen.. Very very frustrating

Here is a test with you guys that have very fast machines
and drives can try.
(My quality is medium)
1) Place a clip in the timeline thats at least 20 second long
2) Offset the position a little up. Turn overlay on.
3) Place the noise effect under it.
4) Place a another clip in the timeline
thats at least 20 second long under that. Turn on overlay.
Position it down a bit so you can see the other clip.
5) Place a blur effect under that.
6) Now place an audio clip under that.

hit play. Wait 5 or 10 seconds. If you hear the audio stutter and
your light is greeen. Let us know.
I have changed my settings all sorts of ways and this causes
stutter. (My quality is medium)
Bob