PDA

View Full Version : Drag&Drop GUI ?

Emmanuel
05-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Hi,

Drag and Drop has been already pretty standard on Amiga 6 years ago, so I wonder what people think about modernizing LW, as an option.
I think it would be cool to just drop materials on selected surfaces/objects, drop colours into colour requester dialogs, drop numerical values for easy and fast copying of values between related items (bones, particles, dynamics...).
Just dragging a colour from the colour picker to a light would be too cool....
Drag and Drop objects in the channel bin in graph editor instead of double clicking...
Windows is *based* on D&D !
Matt shows an excellent example of how to save three clicks and a panel switch by using D&D in this thread:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=174886#post174886

Matt
05-10-2004, 09:29 AM
Yep, totally agree!

Karmacop
05-10-2004, 09:43 AM
As long as it was added to, and not instead ofthe old ways of doing it.

Nemoid
05-12-2004, 09:35 AM
if this doesn't slows LW responsiveness, i totally agree, especially for copy/paste motions and surfaces

Emmanuel
05-14-2004, 10:14 AM
I hardly see why it should the responsiveness down :)
Actually I think this would go way faster than using copy/paste via right click in the numeric panels.
Also beeing able to drag and drop from/to the presets seems an interesting option to me !

Ztreem
03-14-2005, 06:08 AM
Yes! I agree! more Drag&Drop in LW.
You could maybe have a plug-in window with all plugins( deformer, motion etc.) Then just drag&drop them on the object you want to apply it to. Fast and easy! :D

Karmacop
03-14-2005, 07:36 AM
Woah, zombie thread :p

Ztreem, I think that's taking drag and drop too far :p What I'd like to see in a drag and drop interface is dragging layers in modeler, dragging plugins into the interface. Dragging buttons and colours around on the interface etc.

Dragging a plugin onto an object isn't a great idea to me .. though I guess it depends what sort of plugin. I'd much prefer to drag a surface onto an object, for example.

Nemoid
03-14-2005, 08:15 AM
A Cool thing could be having the possibility to drag 'n drop objects from a load objsct browser,both in layout and modeler, maybe also with some preview taken form the open gl of modeler. :)
btw a drag and drop to manage UI elements in menus would be another cool addition. there are alot of possibilities for drag and drop to make our workflow faster and funny.

Ztreem
03-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Woah, zombie thread :p

Ztreem, I think that's taking drag and drop too far :p What I'd like to see in a drag and drop interface is dragging layers in modeler, dragging plugins into the interface. Dragging buttons and colours around on the interface etc.

Dragging a plugin onto an object isn't a great idea to me .. though I guess it depends what sort of plugin. I'd much prefer to drag a surface onto an object, for example.

Yeah, I know it's an old thread, but instead of starting a new one I replied to this one.

I don't know why it would be to take it too far. It could really speed up workflow. It doesn't mean that you couldn't do it the traditional way, so if you don't want to use drag & drop then you don't need to. :p

Karmacop
03-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Well I guess if it was in say .. the displacement tab and you could make the dropdown list of plugins show as a scrolling box, then yeah dragging and droppping there would be alright. But I wouldn't like to see a list of plugins that you can drag and drop onto on object in the 3d view. I mean what if you miss and put it on the wrong object etc? That'd just annoy me :p

Lamont
03-14-2005, 07:17 PM
THis would be nice :)

private
03-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Who wouldn't want this? Are there any negatives?

Ztreem
03-15-2005, 02:21 AM
Well I guess if it was in say .. the displacement tab and you could make the dropdown list of plugins show as a scrolling box, then yeah dragging and droppping there would be alright. But I wouldn't like to see a list of plugins that you can drag and drop onto on object in the 3d view. I mean what if you miss and put it on the wrong object etc? That'd just annoy me

Ok, what about this one. In object properties today we have 'add custom object', we have 'add displacement' and 'add dynamic' then we have the motion window there we have 'add modifier'. I would like to see the motion window to disappear and all things in the motion window moved to the object properties, because it's also properties of the object. Then in the properties window make a tab called plug-in and have two big scrolling boxes, one with all the plug-ins and one empty. Then just drag the plugins you want to you the empty box.

Wait I'll do a mocup of it in illustrator instead.

Here you go.

Karmacop
03-15-2005, 03:34 AM
Yeah, see something like that is nice, especialyl if you could multi-select.

Ztreem
03-15-2005, 03:49 AM
Yeah, see something like that is nice, especialyl if you could multi-select.

Multiselect offcourse. Which modern app does not support that?

Karmacop
03-15-2005, 06:34 AM
Lightwave? ;)

Ztreem
03-15-2005, 08:21 AM
You're right. :rolleyes:
That's what we want to change, Lightwave should not follow the others it should go beyond the others. :D