PDA

View Full Version : Old bugs vs New Features

Emmanuel
05-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Well, since I am thinking that Nt should first clean up the basic features before adding superduper James-Bond-like goodies....

zecryan
05-10-2004, 09:58 AM
I think that for the 8.5 release, they should only focus on fixing the bugs and getting everything (almost everything, to their best of thier ability) and thn add new thing to the 9.0 release. I just don't want them to do what the old team did for the 7.5c patch, that patch was so buggy.

jin choung
05-10-2004, 12:01 PM
although it is not the policy of ANY software company currently, i think that before they move on to another WHOLE NUMBER RELEASE, all the bugs should be fixed from the previous whole number release.

so by version 8.99, there should be no bugs in the 8 series.

jin

grafikimon
05-10-2004, 12:29 PM
I'd be happy if they get 50% of the bugs fixed. no one has ever gotten 100% bug free. I doubt that any company can ever do it. With the range of software and hardware/OSs available it is hard to make one universally working piece of software especially since stability is a moving target. By the time thy got it working for Window XP service pack 1 with A,B & C installed on X hardware windows will be at Service pack 2 and D,E & F will be installed and the hardware will have changed again. Look what happened when apple released 10.3 and changed open GL and the mouse drivers. Just get the tools working in symetry, all vmaps and we'll be a step further along.

harlan
05-10-2004, 12:42 PM
What the h e l l are you people talking about? [8] is pretty d a m n stable. Of course NewTek is going to focus on killing the few bugs remaining in [8] for their next release. That's the way it works.

Sometimes it seems you guys are more focused on complaining than you are on actually doing work.

Jesus christ people, it hasn't even been officially released yet, and you're already b i t c h i n g.

Hmmm...speaking of b i t c h i n g - I'm going to join in for a moment! ;) I hate censorship, and I hate the extra amount of time I have to invest in posting on these forums to add spaces between the letters of my foul language. hehehe

McLeft
05-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Yes, would be good to fix "Replace Image" bug...

toonafish
05-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Well, it's very annoying when you're trying to do actual work but are running into bugs that are slowing you down. In cases like that it's always very nice one can share the wealth right here ;-)

Fish

Sometimes it seems you guys are more focused on complaining than you are on actually doing work.

harlan
05-10-2004, 01:31 PM
No, I completely understand. I certainly didn't mean to come across as rude or anything. I'm just in a "p i s s y" mood today.

My lady left me the other day, so I've been quite irritable. She needed to move back home (the other side of the country) to take care of her now cripple father. Whatcha gonna do though, eh. ;)

Silkrooster
05-10-2004, 09:42 PM
That is kinda difficult question. On one hand having new neat gadgets to help speed up work flow can be a very big plus. On the other hand, work flow is much smoother if you don't have to worry about the program crashing when you least expect it.
In the end a balance of the two would be nice, but since I was only given two options. I had to go for a bug free program. I may find work arounds to speed up production, but those work around will only work if the program works. So I beleive like others that inbetween point numbers should take care of making the program solid whereas whole upgrade numbers should work on more features.
Besides, LW members I beleive are expecting point versions to be free, so that would work like a warranty service on the program. LW members usually pay for whole number upgrades, therefore they should receive new features to justify the price.

tokyo drifter
05-11-2004, 02:26 AM
They need both.

McLeft
05-11-2004, 07:22 AM
About speed up workflow vs bugs.
Just quick example.
Say you have some complex scene with complex lighting for animation, so you have to keep render time as low as possible. So you decided to bake or even draw shadows on the image map. Now you have to apply right amount of blur on this map.

You say: Well, it's easy. Just apply "Full precision blur" image filer on the map and it's done. Yes it sounds as really easy and simple workflow.

But there you discover first bug. When you render this scene via screamer net blur is gone. Even if you re-open scene - blur won't render.

Ok, you apply blur on copy of map in Photoshop and use "Replace Image". Doing test render. Adjust amount of blur in PS. Replace Image and so on.

Now you discover second bug. If suraces that have that map applied also using image textures on other chanels you suddenly realize that these "other" textures randomly get replaced with map with shadows.

So now you have to reopen scene or double check and recover surfaces which use replaced image.

Now initially simple workflow turned into a bit tedious task just because of two bugs.

P.S. (these bugs exist in 7.5b)

riki
05-11-2004, 08:48 AM
I'm still waiting for 8. I'd like to see the distribution process cleaned up.

Nemoid
05-11-2004, 08:54 AM
Wow Emmanuel this is a million dollar question isn't it!!?? :)
I voted for the old bugs, just because Lw has alot of small bugs and half working things that need to be addressed.

The problem is that Lw needsboth things actually, to bring more flexibility to its users.

Let's say i could also cnceive the fact of Lw being not an integrated app like the main bug...:D

Ade
05-11-2004, 09:29 AM
8.2's for NEW features, 8.5's for optimising.

Lightwave has fallen far behind in some important areas to wait for a year for a .5 to catch up..

Do what maxon does and do more smaller updates.

Nemoid
05-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Yap more smaller updates are what is required to fine tuning the app more and more. Would be great. :) But Nt stated they will have more updates near to each other, so I hope they will do something like that.
Great new features are usually for major updates, .5 or.0

pblacklock
05-11-2004, 02:16 PM
the only major big bug that i have is that i haven't receive my FREAKING UPGRADE COPY yet... maybe by the time i get it it will be bug free...