PDA

View Full Version : Help Urgently Needed - Smooth Scale and CNC Router

Steve McRae
05-10-2004, 05:48 AM
Hope you can help!

I have a client who needs a organic object 'shaved' scaled back 3/16" so that after it has been created (in real life by a cnc foam router) a coating can be applied to it.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to do it? Smooth scale has the idea that I am looking for but unfortunately it distorts the end polys every time.

Any plugins that I am missing?

Cheers,

Go FLAMES!

Silkrooster
05-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Maybe I am misreading your post, but can't you just use the size command or stretch command without selecting any polys to reduce the whole object to the desired amount?

Steve McRae
05-11-2004, 05:18 PM
nope - imagine that you put a thick coating on a object - it would increase by a certain amount equally all over the surface

that is what I need - a plugin that will allow me to increase (or decrease) the surface equally similar to what sm scale does - except without the distortion

cheers,

desinger
05-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Just like my previous question;)

Link (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18327)

tingham
05-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Seems like what you're doing is 3d "Trapping" like what we did in print before digital platesetters. Kind of a cool concept, could you use a reverse boolean from two scaled versions ( one z, one x )?

mgrusin
05-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Not that I know how to do it, but it seems like a script should be able to handle this - take each point, determine the normal (the hardest part, need to traverse the adjacent polys), then reposition the point by moving it along the inverse normal over your shaving distance... Any script gurus in the house?

-MG.

Simon
05-13-2004, 07:07 AM
Try this?

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1030

I think it pretty much does what mgrusin said but I could be wrong. Anyway it's always worked very well for me, I use it a lot for things like trees made with Polas Treedesigner, where the branches are too thick it shrinks the surface inwards or outwards.

Simon.