PDA

View Full Version : Drag&Drop GUI a la C4D

Emmanuel
05-10-2004, 05:42 AM
I vote for a migration to a GUI that completely supports Drag&Drop.
How easy would it be to be able to drop anything on anything, colours on objects, shaders on surfaces, numeric values on objects (hey, what about beeing able to have the bone properties open and just drag and the drop the values of rotational limits from one bones to another ?).
Drag&Drop like in C4D 8.5 for example is a booster for anyone's workflow, less clicks, less panel switching, easy and fast.

Lynx3d
05-10-2004, 06:58 AM
Argh...the day you have to drag&drop everything in LW is the day i quit using it, that's for sure!

If find it totally annoying to have to drag surfaces on objects or dragging the mesh into a HyperNurbs object, when you just need to press 'q' or 'tab' and you're done aswell.
I hate it having lots of panels on screen just to drag items from one into the next.

Just my opinion though...if you like that, why don't you use Cinema anyway? ;)

Matt
05-10-2004, 07:04 AM
You could easily have both ways of working. Drag 'n' Drop definately has a place in the LightWave UI.

mkiii
05-10-2004, 07:51 AM
How could the *option* to drag & drop be a disadvantage Lynx?
Drag & drop would be a welcome addition here.

C4d has a pretty good interface imo. And you don't need to drag & drop textures onto objects if you don't want to - it is an alternative. You can right click on a texture & select Apply to put it to your selection, or a whole object. Nothing complex or long winded about that. And how dragging one label onto another to get Hypernurbs is any more time consuming than selecting an object and pressing tab I don't know.

If half of the functionality of the latest iteration of C4d were added to LW, then I doubt that many people would have reason to complain.
Sure C4d requires extra modules that bump the cost up to more than the price of LW to get the same sort of ability, but the basic app has a whole raft of nice touches - not least is the configurability.... options & extra ways of doing things can never hurt.

LW definately needs to be de-clunked, so new users are encouraged to use it.

Emmanuel
05-10-2004, 09:20 AM
Wow, Matt, that's a pretty awesome example of which I didn't even think !!!!:eek:
Thanks !

Matt
05-10-2004, 09:34 AM
Thanks, did it ages ago, I'd like to be able to do that with ALL user modifiable data, numeric values the whole shebang!

:)

I also love what Apple have done here:

gjjackson
05-12-2004, 09:25 AM
The only drawback I can see to all this GUI functionality is the resources (memory) it would use. Myself, I would prefer as little as possible to the GUI and use the resources for work. This is especially noticeable in very large scene files. The code for drag and drop would create much more overhead. The best possible way probably would be to have a GUI Editor, similar to the LScript editor. In this way the overhead wouldn't be there.

Emmanuel
05-12-2004, 01:19 PM
As I said.
1)Windows is completely D&D
2)It worked on an 68000 CPU (Amiga) years ago
3)Cinema, Max etc have D&D and no one ever found this to slow the
performance down

I mean, come on, how could a D&D GUI affect the performance of a scene ?