PDA

View Full Version : Dino Print

robpauza
05-10-2004, 12:41 AM
Hi everybody,

I've posted this elsewhere, but thought I'd share with you guys as well. I entered the dinosaur contest at 3D Art to Part a few months back reworking my old dino model. I didn't win, but I ordered a print anyway. I'm extremely happy with the results.

Having a real physical model of your Lightwave model is the absolute coolest thing ever. I highly encourage everyone to get something printed. I'm very surprised at how much detail came through.

You guys that have been wanting to do one, definately go for it.

-Rob

Here's the pics...
(the render first to stay somewhat on-topic)

robpauza
05-10-2004, 12:42 AM
And the printed model on my dining room table...

robpauza
05-10-2004, 12:43 AM
another view...

robpauza
05-10-2004, 12:43 AM
and another...

robpauza
05-10-2004, 12:44 AM
and the last one...

Lexxiam
05-10-2004, 03:25 AM
Great work!
the last picture i like more

gazmon
05-10-2004, 04:01 AM
thats really cool! are you going to paint it?
Gaz

adrian
05-10-2004, 04:17 AM
Sorry for asking what is probably a stupid question, but how do you go about getting a "print" of a model? And how much does it cost?

Adrian.

Karmacop
05-10-2004, 04:24 AM
Damn, that's nice, who won!? And why is the tail a different part? Is that because of size reasons (it wouldn't print that big)?

robpauza
05-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Lexxiam:
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Gazmon:
I haven’t decided about painting it yet. I sort of like the natural color of it, but it would look really cool painted.

Adrian:
www.3darttopart.com. They have some info on their site about the process. (I think) the primary way they determine price is by the volume the object is. My model cost $107 USD. -Keep in mind that these prints are solid, so there is a lot of material in the base of mine. It measures 8” tall by 15” long. You can get a free online quote. Also, they have some sample objects on their site that help to give a rough estimate of price.

Karmacop:
Thanks a bunch. The winner was a T-Rex model done by Matthew Painter. It was very well done. Sorry, but I don’t know of a link that shows the image. :( Yes, you’re absolutely right about the tail. I made in two parts to fit within the 10” x 8” x 8” size restriction. I just wanted a little larger print.

-Rob

winged-cat
05-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by robpauza
Yes, you’re absolutely right about the tail. I made in two parts to fit within the 10” x 8” x 8” size restriction. I just wanted a little larger print.

-Rob

I had noticed the Tail as well. Some questions on that though - Did they attach it prior to shipping, or did you have to do that yourself. (if so, what adhesive works well on that material).

To line up the tail, did you make a 'key' (can't think of the right word - tab and slot)

Great work, btw.

...Pete

object
05-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Very nice work I like the grain in the texture, it works well with the subject.

robpauza
05-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Winged-cat:
I attached the tail myself using cyano-acrylate, which is basically a good quality super glue. The material is a type of somewhat pourus plaster, so really any super glue or epoxy would be adequate. Elmer's might even be okay.

Yes, I did model a tab/slot for the tail. (see attached pic) Thanks again.

Object:
Thank you. I like the subtle texture too.

-Rob

Zarathustra
05-13-2004, 11:58 AM
That's cool. I've thought about printing, too. I'm not sure what I'd print, though. That did come out great. I'm surprised you didn't win.

I'd be afraid to paint it, but it might look cool with some kind of faux treatment to look like bronze.

robpauza
05-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Thanks Zarathustra,

The winning model was really nice, so I had no problem with that. You ought to get a print. It's the coolest thing to hold in your hands something you created from scratch on the computer. Now I'm trying to think of something neat to model strictly to have printed.

I'm with you... I'm a little scared to paint it, but definately would like to try some sort of finishing to it. -hadn't thought of faux bronze. Maybe I'll try some gold leaf. (joke) :)

Thanks for the comments,

-Rob