PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Van Der Byl's Book

adrian
05-09-2004, 01:20 PM
<MOAN>

Why is it that 3D books always seem to get their release dates delayed?

This book was supposed to be out in March, now we have to wait until June. Aarrhhh!!! Still, looks like it'll be worth the wait.

</MOAN>

Adrian.

FaeKitty
05-09-2004, 01:33 PM
Actually, 'LightWave 3D 8 Texturing by Leigh van der Byl' just started shipping out Wednesday of this last week if you preordered it, according to the email the publisher recently sent out.

adrian
05-09-2004, 01:54 PM
I pre-ordered my copy with Amazon but as yet I haven't heard anything.... hopefully not too long to wait.

Adrian.

reverie
05-12-2004, 05:05 PM
I hope you all feel the way I do about the book. :) When I started reading it, I thought..."Aha! Finally...I found the missing link."

The book is very readable (a big + for me), totally thorough, and packed with information -- that I can understand. Some LW books have lots of stuff inside, but you can't put it all together to understand the hows and the whys. This book helps to connect the dots.

For instance, I got fascinated with weight maps a few days ago and read several tutorials. Still, I couldn't get how the gradient and the weight map correlated but now...by George, I think I got it!. ;)

I've read several chapters so far -- no duds yet. This is one LW book that I plan to read cover to cover.

Jan

WilliamVaughan
05-12-2004, 05:48 PM
I look forward to this book...should be great!

SLAYER
05-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Just got home and found mine on my door step.
Sweet! I was not even expecting it. This is the book, I have been waiting for possibly more than any other pertaining to LW.
I have just quickly glanced through it and it is killer. I will start the read cover-to-cover tonight.

gjjackson
05-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Got mine too. I almost forgot about it. I laid it aside for some important things to do. So I think I'll sign off and go get it. Thanks for the reminder.

adrian
05-13-2004, 12:24 AM
Okay now I'm getting itchy feet. Amazon say the delivery estimate is June 30th to July 13th which is not good enough for me especially if you guys have your copy already.

Where did you purchase yours from? I might cancel my order with Amazon and place it elsewhere if necessary...

Sounds an awesome read, and the author sounds like she really knows her stuff (the examples in the book from what I've seen look very, very good).

Adrian.

FaeKitty
05-13-2004, 12:59 AM
Directly from the publisher - it's always faster and they offer a 37% discount 'SPINQUAD-SPECIAL' and free shipping (continental US only).

http://www.wordware.com/texturing/index.shtml

http://www.wordware.com/lightwave/

However your profile says that you live in the UK, so you may not really actually get it any faster and shipping cost would probably be better though the UK Amazon.

I've only read the first chapter so far, but browsing though the rest of it, it seems pretty good. 'LightWave 3D 8 Lighting' is pretty good also.

minus
05-13-2004, 01:05 AM
I think most people ordered directly from Wordware Publishing. Do yourself a favor on the next one and pre-order This One. =) (http://www.wordware.com/cartoon/pre-order.shtml)

cresshead
05-13-2004, 02:07 AM
yeah v cool i've ordered the 1001 tips book, lightwave 8 lighting, lightwave 8 texturing and Lightwave 3D 8 Cartoon Character Creation by jonny gorden...most via amazon and one by wordware...also ordered the ghost warrior book and the ghost warrior dvd as well....i'll be "booked out" for lightwave 8 soon!...

what i'm currently doing is replacing my large 3dsmax book shelf with a large lightwave shelf seeing as i'm making the move from max to lightwave as my main 3d app this year.

stee g

reverie
05-13-2004, 07:58 AM
I did the same thing with C4D. I started with that program last fall, bought books, found LW, then decided LW was the program for me. :) Now, as you said, I'm getting booked out on LW. I can't seem to stop buying 'em though! And these new LW 8 books are SO tempting... :D

Jan

WilliamVaughan
05-13-2004, 10:04 AM
I just got my copy this morning....going to be a great read by teh looks of it!

kurv
05-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Wow, just found this thread, thanks folks!!! Leigh would love all this!!!

Glad you all like or are looking forward to the book(s) :)

If you do order from us we can normally get them to you faster than Amazon, but if you are outside the US... Amazon is your best bet financially :)

Those of you who pre ordered, post some Amazon reviews okay :)

reverie
05-13-2004, 04:40 PM
I was planning to do a nice Amazon review, but there doesn't seem to be a space for it yet. Maybe they're waiting till they start shipping to ask for reviews?

I am liking this book better and better, btw. Lord love this girl, she totally cuts thru the bs and basically says "we're here to talk about texturing and that's what we're gonna do." (Not in those words, of course.) I appreciate extra info., but if I buy a book on texturing, that's what I want to read about -- not color theory or painting styles or current trends in digital artwork. Sorry if that sounds witchy. :eek:

Anyway, the book is right on target as far as sticking to the subject is concerned. My crystal ball (that I made in LW, of course) says it's going to become a very valuable resource. ;)

Beamtracer
05-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Leigh is a shining light in the Lightwave community!

cornbreadandham
05-13-2004, 06:27 PM
I just got this book today, and its blowing my mind.

adrian
05-14-2004, 03:42 AM
Well I just can't wait to get this book now after reading what some of you have said here!

I'm going to skick with Amazon as it will be cheaper for me. Just a shame I will have to wait so long.... oh well, good things come to those who wait :-)

Sounds like it's going to be really useful for me.... texturing is a very weak point of mine at the moment.

In the meantime I will make use of Leigh's online texturing tutorials....

Adrian.

colkai
05-14-2004, 03:51 AM
Trouble is,
Being in the UK like me, you just know it'll be awhile before we get it.
I've ordered Dans "Killer Tips", which is still marked as 'Lightwave X Killer tips' on the Amazon UK site and is scheduled for delivery 27th of this month. Arrghhh...

As for Leighs book, not yet available with a 4 to 6 week estimated dispatch time. (mutter....mutter....mutter....) :p

Beaker
05-14-2004, 08:35 AM
Just got the [8] lighting and texturing books. Really looking forward to getting some time to go through them this weekend. I'm realistic enough about my work to know I need a lot of work in both of these areas, and what I've seen of Leigh's work has always been impressive.

art
05-14-2004, 09:53 AM
I have received my lw8 killer tips last week from amazon.
I have received Leigh's texturing book today! Cant wait to go home and start reading it!

ps.

I actually received texturing book yesterday, but as ALWAYS, ups delivered it while I was at work so I had to wait till today. I hate UPS for that.

reverie
05-16-2004, 06:04 AM
Hi,

Lots of times I get all excited about a book, then it turns out to be not as good as I thought. And I say, "oh," in a crestfallen voice.

Well, that is NOT happening in this case! :D I swear, y'all would think this is the only LW book I ever read, but it ain't. It's turning out to be one of the best though. Pearls of wisdom on EVERY page. Lovely. Tips I've never seen anywhere else, and I have Dennis Summers' and Owen Demers' texturing books, too.

I know one thing -- after reading this book, I'll never tint glass blue again. :D

I could not recommend a book more highly. With this book -- and LW Lighting (Boughen) & Essential LW (Albee) -- one could conquer the world. ;)

Lightwave is the coolest, and Wordware books are up there, too. :cool:

Scott
05-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Adrian , if you're in the uk order from http://www.compman.co.uk . They already have the book in stock and are a uk company so you should get it in a few days. I just ordered my copy from them :)

adrian
05-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Wow, thanks for that Scott.

Just as I was ready to smash the screen with frustration reading all these great reviews here!!!

Right, I'm off to get me book.......

Adrian.

d1wojo
05-16-2004, 12:46 PM
I just ordered mine, I am working on a character and really want to show off some good texturing, so with what all you have said I just got done with my order at wordware

adrian
05-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Just placed my order and not only should I get it in about 3 days, but it's around 9 cheaper than buying it from Amazon (including postage). Result!

Adrian.

pauland
05-16-2004, 01:06 PM
Adrian,

The amazon price is identical and they are also saying shipping in 3-4 days...

Paul

cagey5
05-16-2004, 01:23 PM
Just ordered mine, and I ordered the one on LW Eight lighting too. Both have had excellent reviews. I'll look forward to putting them to use.

adrian
05-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Paul,

I ordered mine from amazon.com not .co.uk so the price may be different. Still, no matter now.

Adrian.

reverie
05-16-2004, 05:19 PM
One of the most valuable aspects of reading this book is that it's giving me a way to think in "texture mode." I'm a newbie to LW, and this texturing business was a bit bewildering. So many parts to that surface editor -- and so many procedurals, so many gradient options, so much of everything to try to figure out. I needed to see things presented in a step-by-step, logical fashion.

I'd worked with LW Applied and the Summers and Demers books. Had pretty good results with the Summers book, but since it's geared to three applications, not just LW, it's not nearly as useful to me as this van der Byl work.

I like the clarity of the presentation and the way this book takes the LW texture puzzle apart, covers each piece thoroughly, then puts the puzzle back together again so sensibly. :) My confidence level has risen significantly since I started reading this work and practicing some of the techniques inside. :)

I think I'll get my money's worth out of this 'un. ;)

Jimzip
05-17-2004, 04:52 AM
Ah! I know Leigh would love to hear all these lovely comments.
I'm ringing up my local bookshop tomorrow to see if they have the book in.. If they don't, I'm going to get them to order it because this all just sounds like something I can't miss, texturing being my weakest point at present...
It's really cool to know that all the hard work pays off in such a nice way.

Jimzip :D

adrian
05-19-2004, 08:56 AM
Well I got my copy through this morning and although I've only had time to scan through it, it looks very good.

I noticed on the back cover it says there are demo versions of Deep Paint and something else - I'm hoping you don't need these applications to make the most out of the book as I can't afford either one at the moment....

Can't wait to start going through it properly.

Adrian.

colkai
05-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Ordered it today from computer manuals, been dispatched so hopefully get it tomorrow! :D

reverie
05-19-2004, 11:45 AM
Adrian, there is only a brief section on Deep Paint 3D and Body Paint in the book -- for information only. You won't need those programs at all to do the tutorials, although I must confess the section on Body Paint made me want to get it. :D

You may need Photoshop or some other 2D paint program though -- well, not "need" exactly because there's a LOT you can do with just the tools in LW. :)

She made it easy on us readers, thankfully.

It is such a good book -- shows you how to UV map, edit the UVs in LW, and everything. Which is good, because me and Deep UV don't gee-haw. ;)

Jan

Dave Davies
05-19-2004, 12:09 PM
So..., Wordware,

Why can't we Canadians buy directly from you? Aside from the shipping costs, which we pay, it doesn't appear imapct you any differently than when you ship around the States? We have UPS, FedEx, and the rest, plus the postal service works. Eventually.

We take care of the border hassles at this end, so that can't be it?

Just curious (and wanting the book sooner, with a discount!)

Thanks

Dave Davies

TSpyrison
05-19-2004, 12:17 PM
shows you how to UV map, edit the UVs in LW, and everything

I just ordered my copy..

Does she explain UV maps and such? My puny little brain has never quite grasped the idea...

cagey5
05-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Well mine arrived today, so I'll start reading. That together with the Lighting book should keep me busy.

adrian
05-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Yes she does cover UVs in Chapters 15 and 16. Looking at the table of contents, it looks like she covers *everything*... vertex colour maps, procedurals, gradients, weight maps - the lot.

There are also tutorials on how to create metal (car paint, rusty metal and others), wood (guitar, an old crate) and organic surfaces (eyeball, human face).

Adrian.

reverie
05-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Yes she does cover UVs in Chapters 15 and 16. Looking at the table of contents, it looks like she covers *everything*...

That pretty much sums it up.

The UV section is one of my favorites. I love the fact that UVs can be edited quite well from LW itself, and I didn't really realize that before. :)

This book really is a bonus to Lightwave users. All kinds of tricks in there. And she sticks to her subject so well.

When's this girl starting her second book? :D

colkai
05-20-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by reverie
I love the fact that UVs can be edited quite well from LW itself, and I didn't really realize that before.

Yeah, I'm just reading the UV tuts in the LW8 help, surprising just what you can do in LW natively.

Looking forward to Leighs book arriving, hopefully today! :D

Barred
05-20-2004, 03:12 AM
Bit like LW8 :)
But this time I am waiting for amazon to deliver. Looking forward to them both arriving.

colkai
05-20-2004, 04:39 AM
Just arrived, another lump of tree to add to my collection! :D
At least the wife will get to see me now as I can sit downstairs and read. :p

mattclary
05-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Wow! Ordered mine Monday, and got it today. Fantastic spped for free shipping! Book looks pretty cool! For the price, I recommend this to everyone!

Signal to Noise
05-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Can anyone who has the book let me know if Leigh covers texturing outside of LW such as using Photoshop? I'm going to order the book anyway but I may order it quicker if Photoshop (or similar) is covered.

Cheers!

mattclary
05-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Signal to Noise
Can anyone who has the book let me know if Leigh covers texturing outside of LW such as using Photoshop? I'm going to order the book anyway but I may order it quicker if Photoshop (or similar) is covered.

Cheers!

Chapter 11 "Image maps". Not sure if it's as much detail as you would like, but it looks pretty informative to me. Covers creating seemless textures Practical examples of making maps for all your surface attributes.

bloontz
05-20-2004, 01:23 PM
I would imagine her online tuts here- http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/tutorials.htm -would give a good idea of what she covers.

Leigh
05-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Wow I've been in a weird state since getting back from my trip to Denmark that I didn't even realise my book was shipping LOL

It's very cool to see that people are enjoying the book and getting something useful out of it! :D

Originally posted by reverie
I know one thing -- after reading this book, I'll never tint glass blue again. :D

LOL that comment REALLY made me laugh out loud! :D

I did put a fair amount of Photoshop stuff into it. I had originally planned to have more but the book ended up being really long, so I had to make the Photoshop sections a lot more brief. However, considering the amount of texturing theory and ideas I've put into the book, I would imagine that anyone with half a brain would be able to go into a painting application and start doing good stuff. The section I did on different image maps very clearly explains the method of thinking required to work on texture maps within a painting package :)

I do intend to do a book that focuses a lot more on the painting side of things when I have the energy again :)

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

As always, I will also be continuing to periodically add tutorials to my website for those who don't have the means to purchase books all the time. I'm also making time to write more magazine articles so stay tuned :)

gjjackson
05-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Leigh,
I just received your book and am extremely impressed. I decided to buy it because of seeing your work online. I don't know what kind of work you do but yours is as good if not better than what I've seen in any CG in film. You could probably teach people in the film industry a thing or two. All I can say is you're brilliant.

reverie
05-20-2004, 04:06 PM
Well, this is very nice. :) Lovely to meet you, Miss van der Byl...and I really do like your book. I didn't fully understand the uses of gradients, procedurals, or surface baking -- or LW's entire arsenal of texture tools, for that matter -- until I read it.

Keep them books comin', ladybug. :) You obviously have an audience.

Jan

Leigh
05-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the nice comments guyshttp://www.cgtalk.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

Reverie, you're like my own personal marketing machine! :D Great to hear such an enthusiastic response, it's really fantastic to know that someone is learning so much and enjoying it! Looking forward to seeing some work you'll be doing once you're finished reading :)

Signal to Noise
05-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Thanks to all for replying to my query and especially to Leigh for popping in to elaborate on her book.

I just ordered it thru Amazon. They say 1 to 2 weeks but hopefully I'll get it sooner!

(I also ordered Albee's Kaze Warrior CGI book at the same time)

:)

reverie
05-20-2004, 06:35 PM
Reverie, you're like my own personal marketing machine!

Well...um...what say we talk commission? :D ;) I'm reasonable -- 50/50 sounds pretty good. Or maybe 60/40, considering my bountiful enthusiasm. Oh, heck -- just gimme a 75% cut, and we'll have ourselves a deal. :D

Just kiddin'. Everything I said, I said in total sincerity -- there's lots of good info in that doggone book. Velvet, for instance, is my favorite fabric. I made a velvet thingie according to the tut in your book and was tickled pink by the way it turned out.

Now, back to that commission... ;)

Jan

problemchild
05-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Despite wahtever info Amazon.com is giving regarding "not avaialbel yet" , they are shipping books ordered through them.

cheers

reverie
05-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Now, if they'd just get that 1001 tricks book out. :)

Ok, whose book can we take apart next? :D

For those that get this texturing book, the velvet and satin tutorial is particularly interesting. It's so lovely to learn how to texture fancy fabrics. I know LW 8 has a nice preset velvet texture, but the procedure in this book gives you a better one.

I wonder why there aren't more books on texturing out there? Somebody needs to write one on using Deep Paint 3D. :)

xeno3d
05-21-2004, 09:54 PM
I have this book and so far it rocks! Only have time to read a bit here and there during downtime at work. Thanks for sharing all this info Leigh!! :)

gregsduncan
05-22-2004, 06:43 PM
Hi - this post is only if you have FPrime (and the book of course!)

If you have got as far as page 186 and the Snowy Mountain tutorial, can someone please just open the project and immediately open FPrime. What do you get? I just get a gray FPrime window and nothing appears after each pass. Now I can press F9, let it do a very small part of the render and then click "Abort". Then, the FPrime window shows the volcano for a couple of seconds and then disappears.

Happens in both 7.5 and 8. Anyone else get this? An FPrime problem?

Thank yooo

Signal to Noise
05-22-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm still waiting for Leigh's book to arrive so can't directly test out the scene you speak of.

What does the scene consist of in the way of textures and f/x?

Remember that FPrime cannot render shaders, volumetrics, and image plugins at this point. Hopefully Worley and Newtek will be rectifying this in a future update when the SDK issues are sorted out.

adrian
05-23-2004, 12:20 AM
Sorry, can't help with the above problem but just to add my comments to the ones already made.... this book is an absolute dream come true for me.... the tuts are awesome, the book is easy to read (unlike other LW ones I have) and just by reading the thing and not doing any practical stuff I've learnt so much.

Adrian.

cagey5
05-23-2004, 02:54 AM
GregsDuncan.
Just checked and I got the same result with just a plain grey view from fPrime. [I couldn't be bothered waiting for a standard render to complet to verify the second bit]

In the object properties for the volcano you'll see that the display subpatch division is '0'. fprime takes it's render view from the display level not the render level so setting it to greater than 'o' allows fPrime to see it. Interestingly if you then set it back to zero, fPrime continues to see it.

colkai
05-23-2004, 04:36 AM
Well, I've got the book. but I presume you have to build the project as there is no scene for it on my CD.
Loading the object is okay, as it defaults to 3/3 for the subpatch settings.
As Cagey says, you MUST have the display subpatch set above 0 for FPrime to see it. I have also found the same oddity as Cagey as well, about it continuing to be seen, (until you change a position / rotation of something that is, or do a 'refresh').

EDIT: ok, scratch that, I was looking for a 'volcano' scene where it is '3.4.4-Tutorial_02.lws' - and yep it isn't displayed because of '0' in the subpatch, known FPrime condition due to LW not passing renderer details out to FPrime.

gregsduncan
05-23-2004, 04:44 AM
That's excellent guys - thanks a lot for that lesson - working fine now.

Hope you get your book soon "Signal to Noise" - it is a good one!

novadesigns
05-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Well I just got my copy this afternoon, via some absolutely blazing shipping by Wordware. Kudos to them and to Leigh, I just flipped through the book, and it looks like its going to be a real fun time going through it. :)

Miles
05-26-2004, 07:17 AM
Sorry LWrs a bit OT for these forums...

NovaD, I was scanning these forums and for a second here thought I mistakenly went to one of the SV/S boards based on your Avitar. What are you using a LW3D Avitar in those forums? j/k... ;)

I think you might've used the wrong image for these forums Avatar... ;)

SVSmiles

adrian
05-26-2004, 10:56 AM
????????????

Adrian.

reverie
05-26-2004, 11:00 AM
What the...?

What did I miss? :confused:

Jan

reverie
05-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Hi, again. :)

I was just over at the Amazon site because I'd decided to write a nice review for this book. Of course, I looked at the other reviews, expecting to see 5 stars everywhere.

Well...what has happened is, someone has chosen to strike out at the author by giving her book a horrible review. I couldn't believe my eyes. And, what makes it worse is, the awful reviews are duplicated, making the score for the book very low.

If you're like me, and you liked this texturing book, it'd be a good thing if you'd go write a positive review at Amazon. Otherwise, some people are going to take that low-blow nonsense as fact and not buy the book. And I think it's a doggone good book, too. If I didn't, I wouldn't have been praising it to the skies.

I don't know the author or have any reason to promote the book other than the fact that I love Lightwave, love texturing, and think this book is an asset to people who feel as I do.

Thanks,
Jan

mattclary
05-28-2004, 09:06 PM
I'm sure as a moderator at CGTalk, Leigh has made one or two people unhappy, now the little cowards are going to come out of the woodwork.

reverie
05-28-2004, 11:28 PM
That must be what's happening because the reviews are targeting the author as much as the book -- and writing comments that are just plain nuts. "Owen Demers book is more useful" is a paraphrase of one. That book is ok, but there's no way it's a fraction as useful as LW 8 Texturing. I mean, Demers fills half a book with traditional paintings and zen ideas, when what I want is in-depth stuff about LW gradients and UVs. :eek:

Another book mentioned is LW Applied and, while that book is great for someone who already understands LW's texturing tools, the van der Byl book does a much better job of taking someone step by step thru each and every aspect of LW texturing.

There are a couple of snide comments about the author not having a lifetime of experience. So what? It doesn't take some people a lifetime to learn their field. If someone has a gift for a certain area, surely that person will become competent in a relatively short time.

That review board at Amazon has become a forum for people to take out their spite. Ridiculous...I hope Amazon deletes those duplicate negative entries anyway. :confused:

reverie
05-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Things are looking up! :)

The book has a four star rating now, thankfully. Amazon, praise be, removed the reviews that trashed the author and said nothing whatsoever about the contents of the book. Also, some kind and sensible people reviewed LW 8 Texturing quite positively, adding points to the total score. Maybe now, the book will get the rating and the positive attention it deserves. :)

Jan

art
06-01-2004, 07:49 AM
I just added one more positive review (edit: on Amazon), which the book certainly deserves. I despise reviewers who are so quick to bash any book/cd/dvd on amazon without proper thinking.
I have all the books that were mentioned as "better". Well, they are not better, and they are not worse either. To give 1 star review because they "already know" all the stuff in the book or because it is available elsewhere for free is plain stupid of them. So what? Some people do not have time, patience or resources to search for all the free stuff. And I prefer a book over my computer screen or web printouts.
I am not Leigh's friend. I do not even visit CGtalk. And I think she knows application rather well (response to what some reviewers say on amazon, not very intelligent... again.)

If those reviewers already know everything in the book, they should base their review on how much would the book be useful for those who do not know all the "stuff". And that would be 4-5 starts.
Even if they do not like her style, I would understand 3 stars... but one?
See, the internet and the whole privacy thing helps idiots like that to come out of their caves and give their little bad opinions just because they can and no one can do anything. Perhaps they do not have a lifetime experience of thinking objectively.

lede
06-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Bummer that some people just don't like this book. I personally was sold on the book when I read a few pages about the thinking behind a texture. It focused my attention to details and started me looking at the world around me differently. Now when I walk to work every day I'm looking at the different textures to be found and how can I recreate them in LW.

Now then Leigh, You have done a great job on the introduction to texturing. I've forced myself to read the first few chapters even though most of the information is just a review for me. The great part of doing this is that I learned some hidden gems about surfacing :) but it also re-enforced what others have taught me.

Great book. Great idea's.

-Lee

reverie
06-01-2004, 11:39 AM
I don't think it's the book the nay-sayers don't like. I get the impression they're just mad at the author and searching for something bad to say about her book. :rolleyes:

I mean...

1) The book organizes a ton of bewildering material sensibly.
2) The book presents tuts which generate better textures than the presets that ship with LW.
3) The book is at the reader's fingertips, so he/she doesn't have to search all over creation to find a suitable tut.
4) The book delves into obscure features of LW's surfacing tools.
5) The book is totally about LW texturing, with no filler material about art history or theory. That's a bonus right there.
6) The book is totally comprehensible, with a minimum of "fancy" terminology to confuse the reader.
7) There're nice illustrations to clarify the text.

What else could an author possibly do to satisfy readers? Offer to make house calls? I think the reviewers who are trashing the book to get at the author should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. That's like beating up a kid because you're sore at the parent. :(

mattclary
06-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Agreed, Reverie. It's not the book, they were trying to hurt Leigh. Jealousy, anger because she moderated them... not sure what the deal is, but they were going after her.

Chazz
06-01-2004, 08:33 PM
I just got the book and think it's fantastic. Forget anyone who thinks the book is just for beginners, it's very thorough. Well done!

kurv
01-18-2005, 08:49 AM
With NewTek releasing an update to LightWave 8 Wordware would like to celebrate by offering a special on the LightWave Texturing book.

For a limited time, use the following coupon and receive 40% off the retail price of 49.95.

NewTek-8-2

Not sure if you really want this book..? Check out Amazons best selling 3D Graphics titles.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new-for-you/top-sellers/-/books/4135/ref=pd_ts_b_nav/103-9719350-9497407

Wanna see it for your self, go to www.amazon.com click on TOP SELLERS then choose BOOKS on the left under DVD, then choose Computers & Internet > Graphics & Illustration > 3D Graphics

BTW, out of the top 20 best selling 3D Graphics books, Wordware books still owns 9 slots.