PDA

View Full Version : HardFX in Lightwave 8?

badllarma
05-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Ok here it goes how does Lightwave 8 Hardfx work out "piece mode"? In the Proton vids we are told the robot dog in on one layer but it breaks up into parts how has Lightwave calculated those parts?

Basically trying an experiment scene at the momment (glad I did BTW other wise it would mean some major remodeling :rolleyes: )
I have a building that when modeling to create the roof tiles i modeled one then cloned the them over the entire roof structure the rest of the building walls etc are split up as I have modeled the walls put in windows etc.. so each walls polys have been split but when I add a colision object the roof tiles fly off as tiles but the walls stay solid and do not break up as the ploys.

So :-
I modeled a large square wall then cut it into brick shapes using the knife tool but even though the wall is now split into ploy blocks hard FX still see the wall as one solid object (yes the dynamics are set to piece mode).

So I added the wall diffent surface names the outer bricks (outer part of the wall) the middle of the wall (innerwall) now by altering the setting the collison object detects if it has hit outwall (no effect) or innerwall (colison activated) so the collison object detects it is hitting a seperate polys BUT still will not split only those polys with the colision object??

So the question is how does HardFX work out a split object from a soild ????

Because looking at it if I wanted to model buildings that are to be blown up I'll have to model brick by brick which not only creates a masive poly count scene but is a major pain in the arse where all I really wanted was the parts of the building that will be destroyed to be cut up with the knife tool or simlar so just those sections will be destroyed.

hunter
05-09-2004, 12:10 PM
I'm pretty sure if you select a poly in modeler and hit select connected, that is considered a seperate "piece". If poly's share points they're part of that piece. If you knife it up the poly's still share points, you would have to cut n paste each part to make them seperate. I use the plugin C4 to cut my stuff up. Works great although I haven't tried it with 8 yet.

Dodgy
05-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Hunter is right. An 'piece' is what LW calls a piece of geometry which is connected together somehow. So if you have a cube and a ball in the same layer, that's one object, but 2 pieces.

badllarma
05-10-2004, 12:46 AM
cheers guys looks like I'm in for some Very high poly modeling :rolleyes: