PDA

View Full Version : "Castaway Comfort"

jevinstudios
05-08-2004, 11:37 PM
A little still life at the base of a metal garbage barrel I like to call "Castaway Comfort"....

http://www.jevin.com/graphics/CastawayComfort.jpg

Objects Modeled/UV Mapped in LightWave 8, then textured and rendered in Maya.

Created by Kevin Soderlund / Jevin Studios. Copyright 2004. All rights reserved.

arnoldawson
05-09-2004, 03:12 AM
Very good indeed, except that the two bottles seem to be ultra reflective.

bobakabob
05-09-2004, 05:31 AM
Superb texturing and very realistic lighting. Did you use an HDRI map? The only slight flaw - some of the objects, especially the bottle and magazine are too clean looking. Apply more 'grime'?

Trev.T
05-09-2004, 06:27 AM
Excellent picture. Maybe the ground is too flat - the dirt would have built up at the base of the step and objects.

adrian
05-09-2004, 01:09 PM
It's amazing how often the simple scenes are often the best.

Love the dirt texture... and the rusty barrell.

Did you model the larger stones or are they part of the bump map?

Awesome work.

Adrian.

jevinstudios
05-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Thx, guyz! Went back and grunged things up a bit -- took the suggestions to heart and think it looks much better. Appreciate the feedback and the kewl comments!

In regards to the rocks, they're nurbs objects.

The scene also fakes just about everything lighting-wise -- only one main spot in the scene, with a directional light array for ambient lighting. Caustics are faked -- used painted textures mapped to poly planes on the incandescenet and transparency nodes, then strategically placed within the shadow areas. Was able to get a GI/Caustics effect in the final render in just a few minutes, versus probably 30 minutes or more had i set up real GI/Caustics in mental ray.

paulk
05-10-2004, 12:30 PM
This is just so nice! Angry yellowjackets flying around the top of the barrel would be awesome! A "real" day at the beach.

jevinstudios
05-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Awesome suggestion, Paul -- thx for the reply!

K

Brett H.
05-10-2004, 05:16 PM
The diffuse is too high on a lot of the objects. The straw coming out of the cup, the red on the cigarette pack, etc. Try lowering some of those diffuse levels for better realism. Also, the 2 larger bottles are still too "perfect" for this scene, they need "dirt" in their reflection channels.

Nitpicks:
The wooden box is quite small (not much wider than a magazine), and small wooden boxes are rarely made of so many slats. A manufacturer would likely use 3 or 4 slats to make this box. Nice texture, though.
The texture on the barrel is stretching. (I'm not sure why you would texture/render in Maya, I think your result in native LW would have been better. Maya's default renderer just is not that good).
The paper cup is still perfecly round, not very likely in this scene. It would have been smashed at least somewhat. Also, the lid on the cup is an odd color (I've never seen one gray, but maybe that's a local thing).
There are too many of the same round brown rock, it looks like instancing.
The ground plane image is a bit blurry.

With a few tweaks, this could look alot better, I think. :)

Brett