PDA

View Full Version : graphic card & dual display

lasco
05-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Hi,

I'm gonna buy a new graphic card for my very large scenes,
and am rather sure it will be an ATI 9800 PRO.

On the other hand I want to switch my current 21" (old) screen
for a dual display solution (2x17").

What I'd like to know is :
- will there be a losing of power in display with dual ?
I mean apart the fact that there are more pixels, can graphic
card work slower just BECAUSE there are 2 screens ?

- anyone knows if the 256 Mb card is a good solution ?
Heard everywhere that considering the difference of price
the 256 Mb is not that different of the 128 Mb one,
but all these comments I read were made by people comparing
cards for GAMES. While we know that precisely games are
not made or "optimized" for 256 Mb cards it may not be surprised
they don't run faster with 256 than with 128…

But in 3D modeling will it be different ?

Para
05-08-2004, 04:11 PM
ATi doesn't support multiscreen overdraw (or something like that). This means that if you have Layout in monitor #1 and Graph Editor in monitor #2 and you're adjusting the T/C/B of a certain keyframe, you won't see anything updating in monitor #1 until you click it once with your mouse. That's of course just an example but you'll understand what the problem really means.

About the slowness...yes, second screen will slow up a bit but not much. Depends much on the application.

More memory = more textures etc. With LW I don't think there's much difference between 128MB/256MB, but I'm not sure especially now since LW8 has multitexture OGL.

pauhana
05-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Not sure if this helps, but I use an Nvidia GeForce FX5700 Ultra with dual flat panel monitors with Lightwave 8. I always use my second monitor for my FCurve window and now dopesheet, no problems.

Bytehawk
05-08-2004, 04:38 PM
just bought a new system myself with a nvidia fx5900 in it and 2 flap panels. Runs like a dream. nvieuw dual monitor management is a dream.

prospector
05-08-2004, 05:39 PM
And don't forget, the ram is split between screens.

romrom74
05-09-2004, 04:25 AM
ATi doesn't support multiscreen overdraw (or something like that). This means that if you have Layout in monitor #1 and Graph Editor in monitor #2 and you're adjusting the T/C/B of a certain keyframe, you won't see anything updating in monitor #1 until you click it once with your mouse. That's of course just an example but you'll understand what the problem really means.

actually this is not true..
I have a 9800 pro and use it exactly in this type of configuration. 2 screens (1 21" crt for layout and one 17" crt for graph or scene editor and even modeler fom time to time) and it works perfectly well... Evrything I do on monitor 2 updates in realtime on monitor 1 (graph editor, surface editoe, whatever non modal window I use)...plus I don't see any noticable loss of performance when running in this 2 displays configuration....

Para
05-09-2004, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by romrom74
actually this is not true..
I have a 9800 pro and use it exactly in this type of configuration.

I have 9600 Pro and it doesn't work. Which drivers you're using? What is your secret? ;)

romrom74
05-09-2004, 05:17 AM
well, I've just installed the latest catalyst drivers (4.4 I think), but it already worked that way wtith the 3.10... and I don't have any particular secret...sorry:rolleyes:

Para
05-09-2004, 06:44 AM
Oh well, then it must be a 9600 related bug (there's awfully lot of those).

lasco
05-09-2004, 10:52 AM
very interesting comments…

Lynx3d
05-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Para/romrom: May i ask which OS your two are using?

Need a new video card soon too, and am also thinking about a second monitor...

lasco
05-09-2004, 01:21 PM
This means that if you have Layout in monitor #1 and Graph Editor in monitor #2 and you're adjusting the T/C/B of a certain keyframe, you won't see anything updating in monitor #1 until you click it once with your mouse.

well if it's just this and that it happens I''m not
sure it'll make me waste more time than today
as I have to show/hide every minutes the
graph editor, the surface editor and so on…
as I don't have enough place on screen for all…

Plus I'm running under Mac OS 10.3 and
a very cool feature of LW 7.5 with this OS
is : if you want to quit very quikly and crash,
just click on any keyframe of the graph editor…

Para
05-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Windows XP with SP1 here (and latest Catalysts of course).

romrom74
05-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Winxp sp1 here too

Para
05-10-2004, 02:12 AM
I found the solution to the problem! :D

All I had to do was to change Dynamic Update in Preferences (Display Options tab) to interactive from Delayed and it started working like a charm :D

Lynx3d
05-10-2004, 02:17 AM
*lol*

Glad to hear it was that simple :)

How is it currently about using OpenGL-viewports on both monitors, will it work with LW8? Or does it depend on video card etc?

Para
05-10-2004, 06:36 AM
Modeler bugs in second display oddly; you can't open the menus at all if Modeler is in second display.

Otherwise it works (+the cursor bug) so dunno...

peteb
05-10-2004, 09:22 AM
I use the ATI 9800pro and the only problem I have is with the drop down menus going off the screen. I've read some other threads on this and apart from clicking the little triangle next to the file drop down theres no other way of solving it. The wierd thing is on my second monitor which is a smaller 15 inch one if I drag Lightwave across to it it then works.

romrom74
05-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Modeler bugs in second display oddly; you can't open the menus at all if Modeler is in second display.

check that you didn't invert your monitor in the dual dispaly ati control pannel. It was my case at the begining when I was too lazy to switch the plugs at the back of my computer... and thought I could simply invert the 1/2 screen icons in the control pannel...cause if it's so, you can't pull down menus on your second monitor ...

I use the ATI 9800pro and the only problem I have is with the drop down menus going off the screen. I've read some other threads on this and apart from clicking the little triangle next to the file drop down theres no other way of solving it. The wierd thing is on my second monitor which is a smaller 15 inch one if I drag Lightwave across to it it then works.
yep exactly, you need somehow to teach lightawave the resolution of your screen... weird thing..

Para
05-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by romrom74
check that you didn't invert your monitor in the dual dispaly ati control pannel. It was my case at the begining when I was too lazy to switch the plugs at the back of my computer... and thought I could simply invert the 1/2 screen icons in the control pannel...cause if it's so, you can't pull down menus on your second monitor ...

You're absolutely right there since...that works. All the sudden ATi's drivers seem a bit retarded... :p

Calamari
05-11-2004, 06:40 PM
Anybody know of a good dual DVI card that isn't a huge $ workstation model?

Lynx3d
05-12-2004, 12:34 AM
Pine has a GeForce 5700 Ultra with dual-dvi:
http://www.pineusa.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT36FND

Also heard of some Radeon 9600 with two DVIs...i don't know why exactly they put them on midrange-cards...:confused:

Other than that i only know the entry level Wildcats and Parhelias, but both are no good for the little game inbetween...