PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 is GREAT!

Jack Tinsley
05-08-2004, 08:11 AM
I have owned Lightwave for about 3 years (6.5 – 7 – 7.5 – 7.5c - 8). I know how buggy this program can be and how quirky the install was for a new user. I am a trained illustrator who early in my career moved to commercial directing/camera. I work with most graphic programs and I am proficient at some. I use these application in an effort to assist in visualizing concepts, project pitches and some final delivery.

Lightwave has been a tool to help get the job done not the job itself. I wanted a working knowledge of 3D and the process workflow. I say all of this as a preface to a statement directly to NewTec; Thanks for a great program. Lightwave 8 has saved my “can” this week. I installed it on Monday and delivered 21 seconds of a commercial on Thursday. The modeling was done on a Mac Power Book 17” and the rendering was done on a G5. All I did was copy my project folder to the G5; it retained all my settings and worked. Latterly all I had to do was hit render. WOW! I went from 3.5 minutes a framer rendering on the Power Book to less than a minute a frame on the G5. (Note: 650 frames at 3.5 frames a minute would take 38 hours and at 45 seconds a frame took less than 8 hours) That’s the difference between delivering the job a day late or on time.

I know how bad it could be upgrading to a new application version and having an impossible deadline but I took the leap anyway. The reason for this leap of faith was my trip to NAB a couple of weeks ago. I got a demo on LW8 and “Double D” couldn’t say enough good things about the new install and how hard they worked on making it right. It’s great, what a dream.

Thanks NewTec for a wonderful program that never bombed once, was in fact fun, very dependable to use and deliver a great looking spot to a grateful client on deadline.

Andyjaggy
05-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the positive review, with the very long delay of 8 the forums have had a very negative tone to them, it is good to here something positive again.