PDA

View Full Version : Smooth on PC, Jerky on DVD?

starbase1
05-08-2004, 03:33 AM
Hi Guys,
I've got some animations, and I am dumping them out to DVD, but they play jerky on the DVD, though smooth on the PC.

I am rendering at the correct PAL DVD resolution and frame rate, and using Roxio to burn it, (This seems to have a pretty good reputation as a low end application for this).

The transcoding seems to go smoothly enough.

The animation itself is basically waves of rippling light coming up a tube at the camera - large areas are black and change little, if at all, between frames, and it should compress well.

Anyone got any ideas on this?

How consistent are DVD players in their ability to play smoothly?

As ever, all clues gratefully received!

Cheers,
Nick

dwburman
05-08-2004, 01:44 PM
It could an interlace versus non-interlace video. At least with NTSC video if you have fast movements or something as simple as text moving horizontally can strobe pretty badly if it isn't interlaced a.k.a. rendered with fields. Of course if you get the field order wrong it'll look worse. :D

Look up rendering fields in the manual. It's in the camera panel in LW7.5.

starbase1
05-09-2004, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the sugestions, but I don't think that's it?

I'd expect an interlace problem to show as horizontal jaggies, is this correct? This looks more like dropped frames...

Cheers,
Nick

digimassa
05-09-2004, 02:16 AM
:cool:
perhaps that are dropped frames, you wrote nothing about the compression you used and the player you use, maybe this would bring more clearance^^

starbase1
05-09-2004, 02:24 AM
Good Point!

The original I am using MS Video 1, at a setting of 98. The quality of what I see on the PC is ecellent, so I don;t think its this.

I thought that the DVD encoding was fixed - I am using Nero to produce it, I just drop the file in, set up a menu, and let it transcode.

The player is a Fusion, I can't see a model number, but it is very new, and handles pretty much everything, DVD+ DVD-, MP3's etc etc...

Nick

digimassa
05-09-2004, 02:44 AM
:cool:
So its a standalone player, that should work, so the problem must be the video itself, maybe its because you compressed twice, did you try to render uncompressed and to convert from uncompressed, its a rule of thumb: dont compress twice.

Mylenium
05-09-2004, 07:55 AM
Sounds like your average data rate is too high and does not conform to DVD standards.

Mylenium

PeglaSkunk
05-19-2004, 09:37 AM
Greetings,

Recently we did a DVD were we had a similar problem. This was our solution:

- When rendering, use field rendering (even first), low anti-aliassing, and we exported it all as (32 bit) .pct files
- We did import it to Avid Adrealine DNA, and we found out the normal way of exporting for DVD does not work (Quicktime reference files), we made an uncompressed quicktime file and imported this in Adobe Encore.

The result was quite pleasing, and the flickering and twitching was completely gone.

(the DVD was PAL D1 format)

With regards,

starbase1
05-19-2004, 12:17 PM
Thank you very much for such a detailed response, there is quite a bit to try there!

Cheers,
Nick