PDA

View Full Version : URGENT!! Copyright Infringement

Ideas Unlimited
05-07-2004, 03:29 PM
I would just like to advise everybody to be on their guard as Iíve just been informed by http://forums.splutterfish.com that a person by the name of Kumar Purohit has purchased my Aston Martin model from Turbosuid and has been trying to pass the model off as his, it was only by a member of their forums recognising my work that he realised that there had been a copyright violation. I would therefore respectfully request that we all keep our eyes open and pass on any suspicious postings. Many thanks for you time.

By the way as I have his name and E-mail address and possible place of work does anybody know if I can do anything about this,

Thanks again

Tony (Ideas Unlimited)
:mad:

ted
05-07-2004, 03:51 PM
My friend Guido will be glad to pay this scoundrel a visit.:p

Ideas Unlimited
05-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Does he cost much?;)

Signal to Noise
05-07-2004, 05:27 PM
In the grand scheme of things doesn't Aston Martin own the copyright?

;)

Meaty
05-08-2004, 09:15 AM
if he bought it, doesnt he have rights to do anything he wants with it except reselling it? He could use it to create commercial imagery correct? Is he saying the model is his, or just his render?

Ideas Unlimited
05-09-2004, 06:58 AM
As far as Iíve been told he has been using my rendered images and claiming that the model and the images are his therefore built by him. Yes if he had purchased the model and rendered it no problem, but to then claim that he modelled it thatís a no no. At this stage Iím not sure if he has purchased the model or not.

chrisdz
05-10-2004, 10:06 AM
No offense but how is this urgent? I'm sure people regularly steal my stuff and honestly, as long as I've been paid for it by the client, it's not worth my time to care.

If this guy is an incompetent goob trying to pass of your quality of work as his own, eventually it will bite him quite solidly on the butt.

Now if he's re-selling your work? Well - tell him to stop or hire a lawyer. We can't do anything about it, and from a public perspective - while I'm sure you're a super guy - you could just as easily be a nut with a vendetta. We can't act on this information, realistically - only you can.

Ideas Unlimited
05-10-2004, 10:48 AM
With respect I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. I don't expect anybody to do anything for me as I'm sure theres not much that can be done anyway and I'm sure I'm not the first. It was more the case that its not only my work that he is using its others as well that may not be aware. In a nut shell it was a case of keep your eyes open if you wish to protect your own interest, you know like if I was your neighbour and got burgled i'm sure you would be pi**ed off I never warned you, especially if you where next.

Designer
05-10-2004, 01:01 PM
whitestar is asking for advice, there is nothing wrong with that. I doubt anyone here can act on it, but hey you never know there might be someone who can help out there.

I think we need to hear stories like this, and what to do in the situation, because some people might not be aware of things like this go on. I don't see why anyone has problem with whitestar posting here.

chrisdz
05-10-2004, 01:22 PM
Don't think there's a problem with it at all (beyond the 'urgent' headline being a bit melodramatic).

People taking others' work is definitely not cool, but it's also not new - and it reflects very poorly on the thief...

meshmaster
05-11-2004, 04:01 PM
3. Rights Granted. The member grants to the 3rd party who either purchases license rights to content via a valid sale, or downloads freely available content submitted by the member, a non-exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide, royalty-free license to: publicly perform, publicly display, and digitally perform said content. If you go after him/her for copyright infringment, and they did obtain the model in question via a legit purchase at turbosquid, they could argue in court that they are digitally performing the content in the forum...

nebcat
05-12-2004, 02:38 AM
Copyright infringement will indeed be an on going problem till the end of time. Remember that (even if you believe it or not) Karma will come back to haunt him (or her, for that matter.) Although your concern is shared among all of our fellow Visual Communicators, it will be impossible to stop all copyright infringement activity, with that being said, you must act on reporting your claims to the proper authorities.

We all have experienced theft in one way or the other, it sucks, but it happens. In fact, I'm claiming to own Alias right now, just to get laid. So far, it's working like a charm. I've also managed to throw in a few midgets on the deal. Just Kidding...

but seriously...

Make sure when you sell or post any of your pieces, always, ALWAYS put a clear warning regarding your copyrighted work. Get all your work registered at the copyright offices near you, BEFORE posting it. Sure, it'll cost a pretty penny ($30USD, a small price to pay in the long run) but there are ways around it. Gather up all of your work, and copyright it as a collection for the same price (Known as a 'Group Registration' Form VA - single fee of $30USD.) Registration may prove to be an important record for any future transactions.

For example, you got fifty (50) Aston Martin concept Models with Renders; you could gather up all of it in one single CD (or DVD-R) and labeling it "Aston Martin Concepts, 2004, models w/renders 1-50." that breaks down to 30 cents per item!!! You could even publish your work as a demo reel and or slide show; as long as each slide or clip is more than 10 seconds in length minimum, your in the cool. And the art does not have to be registered again when published. Pocket change. Better safe than sorry right?

However...

What if this person went a little too far and abused all of your hard work? WHAT IF this person says he created all of your pieces? WHAT IF this person were to get laid...W E L L? WITH THE MIDGETS!!! All based on your art! Your creation! The blood and eye strain clicking and dragging. You've earned that Carpal Tunnel and you will not be swayed by some wannabe moron posing as you! RIGHT?? It's like kidnapping a puppy, only forcing it to do a recreation of Deliverance. ZOUNDS AND HELLFIRE!!! As we speak, he or she may be putting together a portfolio of your art work and pimping it for hot dirty sex! Disgusting. Dammit that could be YOU!!!

Then, you must take action immediately! As long as your work has been registered any time after it's birth to three (3) months after its publication (aka, 'Timely Registration'), it will prove extremely useful in court as a prima facie evidence of copyright if you decide to claim damages.

In other words...

I could write an essay based on copyright infringement, but I won't.

so, finally...

Get involved. Go to your copyright offices ASAP, and FIGHT dammit!

thanks.

Oh yeah...Lightwave rules!

digimassa
05-12-2004, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by nebcat
... Remember that (even if you believe it or not) Karma will come back to haunt him ...

Yupp, so maybe "whitestar" copied paintings in the middle ages:D

Zarathustra
05-12-2004, 09:04 AM
On going debate. I don't know how you could protect yourself, actually. Even a hack could go into a model and change some things enough to make it appear different under scrutiny. Is there even a definition of at what point changing a pre-existing model makes it yours?

The best you can hope for is getting the word out on this guy so he becomes a pariah. Then you just have to hope Karma does get him. Hey, if he can't model and says he can with your work as an example, how long will he last at a job? Or as a freelancer if he can't produce what he promises?

Crawling out from under a bad rep would ultimately be worse then any penalty faced from copyright infringement. Take solace in that.

nebcat
05-13-2004, 04:16 AM
Amen, Zarathustra, AMEN!

satya
05-13-2004, 07:12 PM
I went to this site "forums.splutterfish.com" and tried to search for "kumar purohit" and no go ....

Couldn't trace him or the topic.

Got a web-site that led me to a company called "jadoo.com" that seemed to be a honest-to-god company.

Also, how does Whitestar know that "kumar purohit" had purchased an Aston Martin model from Turbosuid and who is his friend who "told" him that he saw an Aston Martin model that looked like his and was violating his copyright?

Are you telling me that if I model an Aston Martin today and that it may look like yours tomorrow - I violated a copyright? Are you telling me that if I model a Ford Taurus, I get all the rights to sue people who model the same car after I modelled it?

Come On Guys, we aren't all that stupid. Remember, we all use LW! If I was Perry Mason, Whitestar's statements would never have come to this court. Also, what is the copyright he is referring to?

There are a couple of small things called Trademarks and (Patent) Registration. Use them to safeguard your Intellectual Property Rights. If you start using them for every model that you create, the Patenting Department will either deny your claims on the basis of "generality" or you will get one in the next century. You got a copyright, you put it down somewhere in black/blue/red/whites. So?

Anyhow, Good Luck to a "?" thread!

Satya
The Truth is never sweet

nebcat
05-14-2004, 03:17 AM
SATYA: Indeed, the subject is very questionable, and I'm sure no one here is 'stupid.' The subject should be more about Lightwave. Sure. Of course, the question is; Is the model of the car, infact a replica of a popular model of a current Aston Martin line? If so, then it's no ones model to claim. Just the fact that Whitestar took time and effort to recreate a replica is credit enough.

WHITESTAR: Don't fret. You should be proud that some one took all there energy to claim to do YOUR work. Bravo! BTW, since this is a forum about NEWTEK LIGHTWAVE, let's see your Aston Martin renders, in all of it's glory!!

LET US PAY HOMAGE TO WHITESTAR!!! Show us you model.
Let's us all see the master at work. If it's worth stealing, then surely it MUST be worth seeing.

PLEEEEEEEEESE!:D :D :D

Zarathustra
05-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Well, maybe having the wires posted would help. Maybe someone trying to hire this clown will have seen this thread and the wires and realize what's going on.

I don't know. There's not much you can do. Just hope for karma to get him and that's about it.

Ideas Unlimited
05-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Satya: - He goes by the name of Animator X And all the Images have been removed from the site as soon as they found out what was going on. Also it was the site that informed me when they banned him, it was one of their members that told them when they realised that he had seen the exact same images before under my name so he is infact not a friend of mine but a friend of every user of Lightwave, Photoshop, 3D Studio Max etc etc and I might add yours as well. I put this post here not for me but to inform everybody to look out for their work or their friends work or our fellow members work, I didn't put it here to be questioned also I received an E-mail from the company that they may be taking action against him for this and I'm sure other things that he has been doing so this "?" thread may help you out one day.

Zarathustra
05-14-2004, 11:17 AM
Hey, a story with what's shaping up to have a happy ending. Justice occuring. Karma. Wow. What a ray of sunshine. Excellent, man.

satya
05-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Cool, Whitestar

Thanks for the update! That's just what I needed. Your initial posts were so vague that I started having doubts ...

Doubts resolved!

Satya
The Truth is never sweet

meshmaster
05-17-2004, 02:05 PM
googlin...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=kumar+purohit brings up

a few paintings?

http://www.painternet.com/97.htm

looks like (s)he may be a programmer?

http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg01010.html

ah... and how about a phone number and email address? :)

not sure how popular that name is... looks like it may be a real mundane name that lots have... sort of like ed or tom or bob... but here ya go:

http://www.iaadelaware.org/boardmembers.htm

http://www.rajb2b.com/tea.htm

http://www.nagaur.nic.in/contacts.htm

ITBHU grad?
http://www.itbhu.org/chapters/geo/bangalore/archives/000188.html