PDA

View Full Version : Import DXF models into LW 8?

badllarma
05-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Any one tried this?modeler opens them but cannot see any polys or points or the object itself :confused:
Also tried wavefront with no luck either? Thougth this was sorted in 8?

MiniFireDragon
05-07-2004, 01:35 PM
I have tried it, and u are correct. Accept for the points thing. There are lots and lots of points (you only see points in a wireframe view) but no surfaces for those points. And as far as I know, Lightwave has always been like this. You can get 2point poly's in too.

Why, I don't know. 3d Exploration from Right Hemisphere will take the DXF file and turn it into an LWO file with surfaces and layers intact. Kinda sucks that you goto shell out $$$ to get what should be a simple DXF file into Lightwave. It really kills my time and budget when I do an accident scene in Autocad LT or Eaglepoint's Surface Modeler and can only export in DXF format.

Hmmm... I wonder how hard it would be to make a dxf to lwo conversion app, I think I am gonna look into that.

cresshead
05-07-2004, 02:40 PM
interesting....i creted some objects in 3dsmax 3.1 and exported them as dxf and they don't load into lightwave 7.5....no polys or points...

i remembered that when i had inspire 3d that it loaded dxf files no problem so i fired up lightwave 5.6 which i got for compatability with lightwscape and loaded up the dxf no problem..see attatched screengrab...

so maybe lightwave 6.0 re write broke dxf imports....

dxf exports are okay from lightwave 7.5 BTW.......

steve g

cresshead
05-07-2004, 02:43 PM
this is the max scene i exported the dxf from...

cresshead
05-07-2004, 02:46 PM
saved the lightwave 5.6 object and loaded it back up into lightwave 7.5 no problem...

badllarma
05-07-2004, 10:32 PM
cheers for the info Steve I'll try bringing them in LW 7.5 saving them as LWO then opening them in 8 :)

3dgirl
07-28-2004, 11:13 PM
did anyone figure out a solution for this without using LW 5.6, which i don't have? i have run into the same problem

Wickster
07-29-2004, 01:05 AM
there are a couple of import/export plugins at DStorm's website, but they're primarily for 7.5 and i'm guessing they're untested for 8. but they work fine when i had them installed on my 7.5 awhile ago. i haven't tested it for 8 since i have no dxf files to load up. here's a direct link to the plugs.

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/index-e.html

please let me know if it works on 8.

Wickster
07-29-2004, 01:13 AM
oops, it should be on the very bottom wherre it says object import/export...well why don't i just...

here (http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/objio-e.html)

;)