PDA

View Full Version : MD 2000 vs LW8 dynamics?

Cageman
05-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Iīve done some flapping ears on a character and I wonder how much easier it would be in LW8?

With MD, the workflow looks something like this:

1. Animate the character

2. Save a new scene, remove everything but the character.

3. Replace the character with another object that has some additional surfaces used as Targets in MD (the same mesh is used, though).

4. Save the scene, then select "Load items from scene", picking the scene I just saved.

5. Replace one of the objects with another object that will be used as collision (same mesh, different name).. ;)

6. Tweak MD to get it do the right thing... Calculate...

7. Save the MDD, load the original scene and apply the .mdd to the character...

8. Enjoy the rendertime! ;)

So.. this may seem like a ****load of stuff to do, but itīs pretty basic and doesnt take much time to setup. But Iīm curios on how this would be done i LW8 with the new dynamics? Are there any steps taken here that arenīt necessary i LW8? Do you still need an additional object to collide with, etc?...

Kudos!

wacom
05-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Way easier now that you can use weight maps! You'd also use SoftFX too...which eliminates some of the "which settings do what" problems of MD 2000.

Despite all of the complaints of LW8, many well founded, people have been overlooking the bright spot that is the soft dynamics are now USEABLE and for the most part good.

problemchild
05-07-2004, 10:42 AM
OT

Don't forget the DOPE SHEET!