PDA

View Full Version : Stuck between the two...

MrKnight
05-07-2004, 09:33 AM
I've been learning LW at work for about 6 months, and I was planning to buy it soon for home use, BUT after reading post after post about how unprofessional NewTek is when it comes to customer service Iím starting to look around at other 3d programs. The one Iím leading into now is Maya. Their website has tons of videos, tutorials and information that is well updated. Yes, Maya is a little more expensive for the regular version but isnít it true....you get what you pay for. The reason Iím writing this is I would like to hear your comments, and tell me why I should buy LW instead.
Since Maya is little more expensive does that mean it's better?

iharris
05-07-2004, 09:43 AM
Every program has its uses. It all depends on what you're going to be using it for. Having used both I prefer Lightwave because I find point modelling wasier and more comfortable. A lot of the extra cost for maya is plugins that come as part of it instead of separate, i.e. Maya Fur and the like. The customer service question is a little more complicated. Everyone has a different experience, having worked in customer service it depends on the situation and the person you're dealing with, and also the quality of your co-workers. Some people will never be happy and some customer service reps are useless, it isn't a problem that is exclusive to Newtek, its par for the course. I'd advise you to play with everything and go the route thats the most comfortable or most applicable to your situation.

-iharris15

Signal to Noise
05-07-2004, 09:52 AM
You can't judge Customer Service solely on the content contained on their website. Besides, NewTek equally has lots of tutorials, videos, free downloads, etc. to keep a LW user busy for quite a while.

Customer Service is also dependant on how well communication is via phone or email. I have had zero problems with NewTek's CS in the past and responses with solutions have always been quick (within 48 hours at most).

Before deciding to buy LightWave I was considering Maya. Price was the final dilemma-breaker. Not to mention the DFX+ bundle deal. Also, I received better information through the NewTek reseller (DMG Publishing) than I did through a local Alias reseller.

In the end, I'm glad I went with LW and it didn't break the bank.:)

And the on-line LightWave community is fantastic. Check out www.cgtalk.com if you haven't already.:)

MrKnight
05-07-2004, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the comments, your right about how everyone has different experiences, I guess i want to find out everything i can about both companies before in dig into my savings. It's so hard to decide because both programs look so good.

iharris
05-07-2004, 10:37 AM
The cost of not being a trust-fund baby. Otherwise you could have everyone and never have to make compromises, but thats life. It keeps us striving for the best.

ted
05-07-2004, 10:57 AM
MrKnight, While most people agree, the shipping of LW 8 wasn't NewTekís best performance, before I bought into NewTekís products, I flew from California to San Antonio to interview, yes "interview" the company.
I came back with the confidence that NewTek IS customer driven.

I am currently on a personal campaign to squash bad customer service from our lives in every way. Letters to the editor, meetings with company leaders etc.
I'm tired of it, and everyone knows when I walk into a business, I donít want problems, just let me give you my money and smile when you serve me and donít make me come back with problems. It really should be easy!!! But it usually isnít.

With that said, NewTek has delivered for me on every front. Heck, they are still servicing people who bought their product years ago and haven't spent a dime since.

While every company will have people and issues fall through the cracks, NewTek has and always will back their customers beyond their obligation.
That's coming from me and I'm unsatisfied with about 70% of my vendors. Arrrrgggg! :mad:

And the other part of the equation is the community. I don't think you'll find a more helpful, broader range of users with any product. Ask a question of the forums and youíll usually have an answer in a few minutes. Sometimes too many! :rolleyes:

You are wise to consider more then just the product in your decision. But rest assured, NewTek is determined to give their customers satisfaction. Often at the expense of their own bottom line.

Iíve probably rambled too long here. But when I find a company that can please me, I want the world to know it.

I wish you well in your decision.

MrKnight
05-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Thanks Ted, I have to admit that even though Iíve heard negative things about the shipping of LW 8, I have also been hearing that NewTek is an upcoming company that will be improving. (in products and service).
Here I am frustrated about which one to buy, but yet I have to smile to myself because I guess itís a good problem to have.
Again, thanks for the guidance.