View Full Version : vines tutorial problem, particle emmiter problem

05-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Ok her is my problem. I have created 1 splinethat is curvey with the max # of points, 200. and brought over to lightwave layout. now i am trying to just create a animated vine growwing but the problem is hard to explain so please download the attached picture but the problem is the i want to create as close to 200 particles but i can seem to get that. when i set the particles to gererate at 40 per second, with a 150 frame, 5 seconds, animation, i get 151 particle at frame 150 but when i put it anywhere from 40 - 59 particles per second, all I get is still them same 151 particles at frame 150 but then when i put it to 60 particles per second i get 302 particles. does this mean i can't get 152 - 301 paritcles on this? Please any help would be great.

here is that file to help explain better if you need it.

05-06-2004, 06:44 PM
here is the pic:

05-06-2004, 10:47 PM
I would try generating so many particles per frame.
Say you plan to have 5 seconds of animation or 150 frames I would set the birthrate to 1 particle per frame. Another thing I would do is set the number of control points in the spline to 150.
That way you can more precisely match the number of particles generated to the number of vertices in the spline.

05-07-2004, 12:04 AM
I tried this for a while. And it seems impossible to get exactly 200 particles to emitt over exactly 150 frames, unless you get lucky with a random emission maybe. This is mostly due to PFX not respecting fractional frames orfractional numbers as input for bithrate.

What you could do though is set up 200 particles to be emitted over 300 frames and just render everyother frame. With Emitt By set to Frame and Key Effect set to Key it will emitt one particle for every positional keyframe (XY or Z; Parent the emitter to a null to move it around, Or use Parent Key option instead of Key for Key Effect). So using the GraphEditor, bake 200 frames for the emitters Positional.X channel. Then use Numeric Scale ('H') and set the Time Scale Factor to 1.5 (=300/200) to get the keys to spread out over 300 frames. Last use Snap Keys to Frames ('q') to get all the fractional keyframes to snap whole frames.

I attached an example scene.

But as SplineGod says, it's easier/better to adapt the spline to the number of frames.