PDA

View Full Version : Fix TGA Image Loader!!!

Chingis
05-06-2004, 04:51 PM
We use P2 for compressing our images for games and Lightwave crashes upon loading such TGA images everytime without fail. Maya, nor any other program has any problem loading these compressed TGAs. Lightwave is the only one, which means I have to save out a seperate set of textures for Lightwave.
So frustrating. TGA support has always been phoopy in Lightwave. Please fix it.

This bug is with 7.5 and 8.0.

mkiii
05-07-2004, 07:11 AM
P2? Never heard of it.

If you really must use TGA images for a game, why on earth don't you get one of the coders to make an exporter that will convert the images *after* you have created them & use something you know works such as .IFF while you are creating?

Or... even easier, just manually convert the TGA files when you have finished the model. How long could that take?

I have only had problems using TGAs with Photoshop, when the paint app locks the file. Same thing in Max too, so I don't think LW is the problem there.

Chingis
05-07-2004, 09:36 AM
If we were a "Lightwave" facility that might be a viable request, but I'm one of the only ones that has worked Lightwave into my pipeline. P2 basically does the same thing as Debabilizer (or however you spell it). I think LIghtwave just has a problem with reduced bit-depth TGAs. I'm aware of the locked TGAs from Photoshop and that's an entirely different problem. Maya doesn't have a problem there either so it is solvable on the 3D app's side.

Cheers,
Chris

mkiii
05-07-2004, 01:24 PM
Yes. It does have a problem with some types of TGA files, but it doesn't crash when I try to load an image, it just doesn't load them.

I'm sure there are other formats that it won't load too. Maya .IFF files for example.

But... what is the problem with using normal TGA files in LW & converting them after? A few moments work is all it takes.

As for the crashing, I'd suggest you email [email protected] with this problem & report it, maybe send them a sample tga so they can check it out. You never know your luck, they may hold off on that spiffy 3d painter plugin for LW 8.5 & concentrate on updating the TGA loader. ;)