PDA

View Full Version : Renaming items in New Scene Editor

toonafish
05-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Has anyone figured out yet how to rename items in the New Scene editor ? You know, the one with the Dope Sheet.

Fish
http://www.toonafish.nl

mechis
05-06-2004, 04:23 PM
I dunno. I was wondering the same thing. The only thing I could do, is to use the rename button- I think it's under the items tab in the main window (ie. not the new scene editor). OR, you could do it in the old scene editor.

Be sure to tell us if you figure out how to do it in the new scene editor.
~Mechis

toonafish
05-06-2004, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I know. but I'd like to get rid of the old Spreadsheet to rename a lot of items. Looks like we're stuck with it for a while though. I'm not sure, but I think it's a bug.

Fish

Originally posted by mechis
I dunno. I was wondering the same thing. The only thing I could do, is to use the rename button- I think it's under the items tab in the main window (ie. not the new scene editor). OR, you could do it in the old scene editor.

Be sure to tell us if you figure out how to do it in the new scene editor.
~Mechis

mechis
05-07-2004, 09:44 AM
I'm thinking (hoping) that Newtek is still working on the spreadsheet editor. I think that omission of renaming items in the new editor is why they still have the old one available. HOPEFULLY, they are just transitioning away from it.
~Mechis

ericsmith
05-07-2004, 09:52 AM
You also can't change the render status, view status, or lock items in the new spreadsheet editor. If they are phasing out the old one, I would hope this would be incorporated into the new one as well.

Eric

mkiii
05-07-2004, 01:00 PM
You can't rename objects whether or not you are in the spreadsheet editor - old or new afaik.

The object name is directly tied to its filename & can only be changed by resaving the file under a different name.

The only things you can rename are non ''saveable'' things like lights, nulls, cameras etc.

You can rename these from the new spreadsheet editor if you assign an unused key to the Rename Object command. Just select the object & name away.

Lights & Cameras can be named by right clicking on the list in the editor & selecting Manipulate / Item properties panel, or by pressing p with the item selected on the list, then editing the name.

What's that about not being able to lock items in the new editor etc?

You just select the objects & click in the column under the padlock icon - all items on the list are locked. The same action toggles the view status if you click under the eye icon.

If you *have* locked any items, you won't be able to flag things such as render settings, Unseen by Camera etc in the RH Property list, otherwise, it works fine here. as does the view status .

Are you seeing the small Adjust Properties panel that floats above the Scene editor. I must say that I missed it the first couple of times I played with it, and thought that the whole thing was broken.

I can't see why that panel is a floater, when it should be permenantly diplayed on the Editor window - after all, it's not short of space on the top or bottom margins.

anieves
05-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by ericsmith
You also can't change the render status, view status, or lock items in the new spreadsheet editor. If they are phasing out the old one, I would hope this would be incorporated into the new one as well.

Eric

mkiii is right; look at the far left and you will see what you are missing.

On the other hand I remember that you can change camera names on the fly in the properties panel (don't remember if you can do that with lights as well). it's a time saver.

toonafish
05-07-2004, 05:25 PM
Okay, I should have stated my question more clearly to prevent confusion.

I know how to rename single items, that's not the issue. I also know I can rename multiple item in the Old Spreadsheet or single items with a hotkey or in the old scene editor but my question should have been:

how do I rename, add prefixed, renumber multiple Nulls, Camera's Bones or Lights in the New Scene Editors Properties panel in the same manner I can change something like the Camera resolution or the Light Color.

Thanks,

Fish

phil lawson
05-08-2004, 03:42 AM
The ability to clone an object seems to have moved as well in the new one...I cant find it.

Thank goodness they included the old scene editor. :)

toonafish
05-11-2004, 02:28 AM
I recieved this reply from Ben Vost from Tech support about this issue :

"I see what you mean. This phrase:

"This view is used to view Objects, Lights, Cameras, Bones, and their
associated Channels, for modification within the Property and Dope Sheet
views. It also allows manipulation of item hierarchies, names, existence,
colors, lock states, selection status, channel selection, and more."

is ambiguous. When it mentions names here, it really means sorting by name,
either alphabetically, or reverse alphabetically. There isn't a rename
function in the scene editor yet. You can still rename things one by one in
the old scene editor for now, if you wish."

So you can't rename multiple items at once in the new scene editor.

Fish

WilliamVaughan
05-11-2004, 05:14 AM
The new scene editor is still evolving....the goal is to completely replace the old one (including renaming)....

Matt
05-11-2004, 05:27 AM
I've mapped 'Rename Current Item' to the F2 key (so it's the same as the Windows default)

Obviously it can't do multiple items though.

- - -

Proton do you mean the old Scene Editor and the new one, or the new Scene Editor and the new Dope Sheet?

Have to say (unless I just don't get it!) Why do we need a Scene Editor AND a Dope Sheet editor, surely there is a lot of overlap between the two?

Couldn't they be combined into one kickass, one-stop 'Scene Manager'?