PDA

View Full Version : LW8 GUI Redraw Problem

MH9
05-06-2004, 03:15 PM
The OpenGL ports don't automatically refresh.
At initial startup, when a panel has been closed and when the app is made visible from being hidden in the windows tool bar.

This is a huge hinderance to productivity.
Right now, stopping to nudge a view's manual setting nearly duoubles my point and clicks and totally gets in the way of creative flow.

Layout has the "redraw" button. Modeler doesn't, but there shouldn't be a need for the "redraw" button anyways.

I'd love to see this issue fixed ASAP.

L&R,
Micah

Carm3D
05-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Download the latest drivers for your videocard and see if this makes a difference. It did for me.

mattclary
05-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Or upgrade to an nVidia card.

MH9
05-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Thank you for your responses.

Windows Update had given me a driver which i figured was the latest, but apprently that wasn't so because I updated my drivers directly from Nvidia and everything works smooth on the PNY GeForce 3 now.

What a relief.

Thanks again. :)

L&R,
S9:Micah

Aegis
05-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Never, never, NEVER download video card drivers from Microsoft - every nVidia driver they've ever put up has been past its sell-by date and in some cases lacks OpenGL functionality altogether. I've got the latest nVidia "ForceWare" 56.72 drivers installed but for some reason Windows Update want me to "update" to an older version (released in October 2003!!) - take my advice and leave well alone...

brap
05-07-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by MH9
The OpenGL ports don't automatically refresh.
At initial startup, when a panel has been closed and when the app is made visible from being hidden in the windows tool bar.

I think I'm having the same problem. When Modeler comes back from being hidden, all or some of the windows are blank until I move some polys or pan/zoom the windows. I've tried 3 different Nvidia drivers, 3.0.82, 53.03 and the latest one, 56.72. I've tried different refresh rates, and disabling my second monitor to no avail. I've never had this problem with 7.5.

Setup:
Dual Athlon2100
win2k
GF4Ti 4200 128MB

phil lawson
05-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Aegis
Never, never, NEVER download video card drivers from Microsoft - every nVidia driver they've ever put up has been past its sell-by date and in some cases lacks OpenGL functionality altogether. I've got the latest nVidia "ForceWare" 56.72 drivers installed but for some reason Windows Update want me to "update" to an older version (released in October 2003!!) - take my advice and leave well alone...

100% true...the windows update drivers suck basically. Always go to www.nvidia.com or www.ati.com and get them.

MH9
05-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Very good to know about Windows Update and nVidia drivers.

And, I spoke too soon.
Although the redraw performance was better after getting the new Forceware drver from nVidia. That only helped by like 10% better.

Alternately, what has the refresh functioning 90% better is to change the monitor from 32bit to 16bit. Apparently this is because LW8 uses alot of memory draw so that people with 64mb and 128mb cards have this redraw problem. That's what i've heard from the guys on CG Talk. Whatever the reason, the updated driver and the change to 16bit monitor space works the best so far. Emphasis on the 16bit part.

I hope this issue gets ironed out soon, as i am confident in Newtek that it will be.

L&R,

Elmar Moelzer
05-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Hmm, works here.
Geforce FX5200 64 MB
CU
Elmar

Yog
05-08-2004, 03:09 AM
This seems to be a Pc and MAC problem.

I had it a lot whilst flipping between a CAD drawing and LW8. In the end I was so p****d off that I switched back to LW7.5 to finish the project within the deadline.

At this point I'm so fed up, I can't see the need for firing up LW8 again. All the modelling bugs that I knew of in LW7.5 are still there (guess the 3rd party plug-ins didn't get polished so well), as well as some new ones.

KiDCoDEa
05-09-2004, 05:54 AM
same problem here.

gf4 dual 128 mb.

quite an obvious bug how could this slip by? bad bad beta testing.

DM67
05-09-2004, 08:11 AM
You are fortunate to have these problems ............ I have not still LW8 ............. grrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!! :mad:

cheers
Tony

Elmar Moelzer
05-09-2004, 08:14 AM
Hey!
Everyone with this problem, please try this:
Check the "Simple Wireframe Edges" and "Simple Wireframe points" in the Display- options. Please let me know whether it works.
Thanks
CU
Elmar

MH9
05-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Yep, turning the edges and points to simple display mode has helped. Thank you, Elmar.

L&R,

cresshead
05-09-2004, 12:59 PM
here's a graphic of the dialogue box so people can locate it with ease in modeler

steve g

Intuition
05-09-2004, 01:26 PM
OK, I have a question related to this. Since I have the GUI redraw problem, but not always, I thought I would upgrade my Nvidia drivers as is recommended here.

So I went to nvidia and they don't specifically have drivers for my quadroFX 500/600 PCI.

They do have certified drivers for Newtek in the quadro range but it says 28.41. Is this still the best choice for upgrade?

Or do I just get the latest driver instead of the certified one?

Which is 56.72 which they refer to as Current Nvidia.

Lemme know cause I am confused.

brap
05-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Elmar Moelzer
Hey!
Everyone with this problem, please try this:
Check the "Simple Wireframe Edges" and "Simple Wireframe points" in the Display- options. Please let me know whether it works.
Thanks
CU
Elmar

Elmar, unfortunately, this has not helped over here. Is this only fixing things on the Mac side?
I also went and tried the other suggestions you made, to use DetonatorRIP, and install the 44.03 drivers.

Win2K
GF4 TI4200 138MB
Dual display

Elmar Moelzer
05-10-2004, 12:06 AM
hey Intuition!

I am using 4403 here, but not detonators, but those provided by the manufacturer.
They work fine.
Brap, I will look into this. Cant say more about this right now, sorry.
CU
Elmar