PDA

View Full Version : "Compound" surfaces?

Johnny
05-06-2004, 10:50 AM
I've poked around in the manual about this, and the closest thing I could find has to do with using alpha channels; maybe this is THE way to do what I want.

An example of which is a "nested" or compound surface.

Say you have a piece of chrome which is partially rusted; part of the surface would describe the chrome, part the rust.

Or bathroom tiles: you want the tiles to appear convex and shiny, the grout not to protrude, but to be rough and non-reflective.

How much control does a user have over *where* the various surfaces can appear on a model, too?

Any links to tutorials on this subject?

The 3D app I used to use had a patch bay model of making surfaces, wherein you'd plug on attribute into the nodes of others, thereby building complex shaders.

Johnny

bloontz
05-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Here's one method- http://www.andynicholas.com/thezone/index.php?area=showitem&fromarea=art&article=1&curpage=0

Lots of tuts here also- http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/texturing.htm

wacom
05-06-2004, 12:35 PM
You can use alpha gradients for this and I suggest that you use some vertex maps (such as a weight map) in conjuntion with this. Such as the tile example you gave. If it were more than just a bump or displacment surface, and was actual geometry, you could get a lot out of using a vertex map to control your surfaces.

I'll post an example for you or anyone else to download. It'll be a quick and dirty run with help from FPrime...but it should get my basic point across.

PS- if you like nodal shadding there are a few plugins that will let you do such work- and they are fairly cheap.

wacom
05-06-2004, 12:44 PM
Here is what I got in about 10min (model to render- the renders were much faster).
The file(s) will be in the next post. Sorry about the Jpeg artifacting...

wacom
05-06-2004, 12:49 PM
And here are the files. In the example I made the tile grout is reflective to show the bump a little more. If you didn't have a vertex map (in this case a weight map) you'd have to use the bump values and apha gradients only- which does work but can be a little more tricky.

wacom
05-06-2004, 01:41 PM
Here is a bump only example- no vertex maps. Files to follow

wacom
05-06-2004, 01:44 PM
Here are the files...nothing fancy...

Johnny
05-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by wacom
Here are the files...nothing fancy...

wacom;

I got a little buried with a project of mine and forgot to thank you for the information and files you posted; they're a big help!

Johnny