PDA

View Full Version : DV RT performance?

Quinte
03-22-2003, 08:19 AM
I'm trying to get a perspective on the RT playback performance when using DV video as a source.

My system currently consists of DualMP 2000+ proc's with 4 x 80G ultra 133 IDE drives, Ti4200 NVIDIA display.

How many streams of continuous video can I expect to get without background rendering (basic PIP effect).
Is there anyone out there using primarily DV as there source in this kind of application?

Thanks

Dan Hong
03-22-2003, 11:50 AM
The biggest problem here is that the Video Toaster gives you a whole bunch of choices (maybe too many) and that can confuse the issue. If your source material is DV tape you have a couple of options. Yes, you can input the footage as DV thru the firewire (the Video Toaster recognizes OHCI compliant cards as input devices), or you could bring in the footage uncompressed through either the component, composite or Y/C inputs. Our studio shoots mainly on DV (or directly to a Hard Drive with a Firestore). We digitize our footage uncompressed through the Y/C input. The second scenario is if you have the opportunity to digitize directly to your Toaster (shooting live in a studio environment), again you have the option of bring the camera in thru the firewire, buy using the analog inputs to capture uncompressed is a much better alternative.

SBowie
03-22-2003, 02:29 PM
As well, come T[3] we're going to have to re-think everything we knew about the Toaster's limits when it comes to DV handling. Tough question...

Quinte
03-22-2003, 06:05 PM
I can appreciate the sittuation, there are several of us sitting on the fence right now. As you likely know, there are pre-release specials on for the T2/T3, and right now is the time to take advantage of it.

I think it would really help in the decision process if it were possible to get some details on the level of performance that one could expect. The T3 system looks very promising, but I simply don't want to walk into this blind, without knowing what to expect before hand.

Thus the performance break down for DV editing is somewhat important for me. It would be really helpfull if someone from NewTek could jump in here and give some general performance spec's.

I currently get 4 streams of unlimited RT PIP playback on the Canopus M1RT with the system specs previously listed. Can I expect to get the same DV performance with the T3?

johnq
03-23-2003, 02:31 PM
VT3 is supposed to have improved DV performance, but with VT2, using dual AMD 2200 CPUs and ATA RAID drives (3Ware 7800 with anywhere from 4 to 8 drives), the most streams I got was three, plus the resultant output stream. With a SCSI RAID using 10K RPM drives, I can get four streams, plus the output. If I use both RAIDs, I can get five streams (4 from SCSI RAID 1 from the ATA RAID). However, I have only done this for short effects with a maximum length of about 2 minutes. I have just never tried any longer. Also, I was outputing to an RTV file or live, not to DV out.

John