PDA

View Full Version : LW8: Managing Selection Sets via VMap Interface

blabberlicious
05-06-2004, 02:24 AM
Did I miss the point of this workflow enhancement?

So you can create/delete Point selection sets via the VMAP pop up list.

The Online help says you can manage the sets here (create or delete them), but unless I've missed something, you can't activate the selection.

Shouldn't the idea be to activate/deactivate a point selection set from that VMAP pop up, without having to open The Point Statistics panel?

Would free up some screen space if it did.

Any thoughts?

SplineGod
05-06-2004, 02:33 AM
You can create them there and select them from the stats window (w key)

titane357
05-06-2004, 02:40 AM
OK.
In LW8 it's more easy to make a point selection set (there's the new "s" buton)
Very handy with the new "Fix" point for Cloth dynamics.

But is there a easy way to free selected vertex of a point selection set ?

Thanx

blabberlicious
05-06-2004, 02:50 AM
Thanks Larry.

If they added a +/- selection on the cotextual menu, you wouldn't have to hit W, open a panel, drill down same list, then hit +/- to select/deselect.

I though the idea of introducing the Vmap slection sets pop ups was to condense some the functionality of the Vertex Maps & Point Statistic Panels into a much smaller area.

?

Karmacop
05-06-2004, 03:00 AM
I don't have 8, but this sounds a bit silly. I think they should work like all other vmaps; new creates a selection based on your current selection, clicking the name select the selection. If you want to add to the selection do new and use an already created selection set. As it is at the moment it's just as slow as the old way of doing it :rolleyes:

SplineGod
05-06-2004, 03:16 AM
I think the idea was to put everything that creates some kind of a vmap down in one area. Before they did that the point selection tool was a lot harder to find.
It makes sense to put it with the other Vmap creation tools down in the lower right. Once you do that what you want to do with each type defines where you go or what you do.
Point selection sets can be accessed most easily from the stats window or the vertex maps window.
Weight maps can be used as a modeling tool as a kind of soft selection in the numeric panel when some of the modify tools are selected. They can also be used from the Map menu.
Morph maps can also be accessed from several different places as well.

Karmacop
05-06-2004, 03:32 AM
I'm not denying what you're saying, but it's not a fowards step.

If you used selection sets before you'd usually set up a button that was right on the interface, or even know the shortcut to it. Even if you didn't it was still 2 mous clicks away. The slow part of selection sets was bringing up the info window, selecting your selection set, and clicking + . That's 3 mouse clicks and a LOT of mouse movement. It's very slow. LW8 hasn't given anything to improve the speed of that process.

So my point is, LW has added a way to create selection sets which is about as fast as the original way, while not adding a way to select selection sets, which was the slow part of the process originally. So why not a) speed up the process, and b) make it the same as the other vmap buttons, and make it that when you select the name of the map it selects the selection in modeler?

blabberlicious
05-06-2004, 03:37 AM
Why not cut to the chase and have a +/- switch to turn on and off point selection sets ?

See attached image. Red = + Green = -

Then you'd have the compactness of the pop up with the power of the W window.

If you then map a key to: Selection>Maps>Select by Poly, you can very quickly create, pick up maps and select/deselect, all from one small space.

I'm no interface designer, but I know what's there doesn;t make sense!

Good things:
Select Polygons from Selection Set command is a nice enhancement to the Powertools point/polys tool.

Karmacop
05-06-2004, 03:48 AM
Except that you'd have a tiny area to hit to add or subtract the selection ...

I still say make the button act like the others next to it.

blabberlicious
05-06-2004, 04:10 AM
No smaller than the LW Layer Foreground/Background Selection Tabs - which based them on.

:-)

Karmacop
05-06-2004, 04:24 AM
You don't want to know how many times I've hit the wrong layer buttons and lost my selection ;)

blabberlicious
05-06-2004, 04:34 AM
Fair point, hombre.

But at least you can Undo/Redo till you improve you mouse skills, or buy better glasses :-)

Seriously, anything would be an improvement on what's there.

:-)