PDA

View Full Version : When are we going to see an LW8 bundle?

Griff
05-05-2004, 11:41 PM
I'm about to take the plunge and buy LW. LW8 is shipping, but all Newtek is selling at its online shop is LW7.5, and the PC version is bundled with a piece of software that I don't need (or want).

First, when are we going to see LW8 offered for sale on the Newtek site? The fact that the current bundle offer (which officially expired April 22nd) gives a free upgrade to LW8 is not good enough because the bundled software is useless to me. Second, can Newtek offer it unbundled for a lower price? Third, if Newtek cannot offer it unbundled, can Newtek find some other folks to partner with and provide alternative bundles? Finally, does anybody else sell more interesting LW8 bundles?

While I am waiting for better LW8 options, I'll just play around with the demos of other, comparably priced 3D apps (C4D, Maya Complete).

--Griff

Designer
05-06-2004, 12:26 AM
Just wait a little while, I think they'll sell regular LW8, academic LW8, etc soon

Gregor
05-06-2004, 07:46 AM
8 is not officially out yet. It is shipping to those who pre-ordered, and that's it.

Heck, even the manuals aren't done yet.

Signal to Noise
05-06-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Griff
I'm about to take the plunge and buy LW. LW8 is shipping, but all Newtek is selling at its online shop is LW7.5, and the PC version is bundled with a piece of software that I don't need (or want)....

Order it anyway and get the free [8] upgrade. As for the "piece of software [you] don't need (or want)" order the bundle anyway and you can always sell the app and recoupe some of your money back. DFX+ is a nice piece of software, tho'!

WCameron
05-06-2004, 09:06 AM
except lightwave and dfx are tied to the same dongle so reselling dfx isnt an optin - or has this changed?

- Will.

mrunion
05-06-2004, 09:48 AM
I beleive you can contact Eyeon and get a separate dongle for $99. Then I'll bet you could sell it (as long as you didn't register it yet).

Cutty
05-06-2004, 10:17 AM
You might try posting a request to buy someone's license at a discount. There are a few people wanting to end the Newtek Lightwave 3D 8.0 Optimized Nightmare and switch to another vendor.

I would sell you mine but I don't have the time to switch just yet.

Just glad I didn't buy into that VT3 as well: I started to but saw the writing on the wall.

DFX+ is nice thought; I want to keep it. That was worth $500. Good job on that one Newtek.

By the way, good work Eyeon; Good software, good support, good OEM provided training. Wish I could get a Mac version; Windows is toast in my book as well.

Out with the old, in with the new!

Griff
05-06-2004, 07:30 PM
Cutty,

Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with LW, but I'd like to know why.

I've looked at a number of different 3D modeling packages, and I've determined that all of them have their quirks and frustrations. To me, this means that you need to look for a package that has a strong, vibrant user community and lots of documentation.

A couple of years ago, I made the mistake of getting Carrara Studio 2.0, thinking that I'd get a good, entry level package for a great price. Although I think that program has a lot under the hood, the UI is so non-intuitive and the community so small that the notion of learning the quirks and trying to overcome them was simply too daunting. In fact, although I've heard that some of the UI problems are resolved by version 3.0, I'd rather spend 10x the Carrara 3.0 upgrade price to get a program that is easier to use and learn.

I demoed 3DS Max and Lightwave. I found 3DS to have the most intuitive interface but a steep price. Although LW has a more difficult interface, I was able to pick it up quickly given the large number of resources.

Because of its similar price-point, I'm considering C4D, but the user community is anemic compared to LW's, and there is a lot less documentation.

On balance, I believe that LW is the best bang-for-the-buck in terms of features, usability and community. Since I'm just doing this as a hobby, I don't have the time to discover the workarounds on my own.

--Griff

Cutty
05-07-2004, 06:53 AM
You are correct, every program has its good and bad points.

But all of the obvious mistakes that Newtek has made with LW over the years; like poor documentation, forgetting x, y, and z labels over input parameters, and Motion Designer (what can you say about that thing), and on and on, indicate that they are flying by the seats of their pants; not very professional.

Again, no program is perfect, and I could have lived with these problems because eventually they should be resolved, but the final straw was Newtek's handling of 8.0; that ACME sales strategy will get you every time.

I'm just pissed because I got LW instead of Maya years ago and now I have to spend thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars to switch. LW is cheap, but you get what you pay for.

LW would be good for you to learn about 3D and get your feet wet, but for the long run, I would put my money somewhere else.

At least until management gets a clue.

Cutty
05-07-2004, 07:02 AM
And one other thing, I still haven't gotten my copy of 8.0 Optimized. I asked for a refund and my reseller said "No, you were paying for DFX+ and you get the 8.0 upgrade for free, now go away".

Ok my falt, I didn't read the fine print. I assumed I was buying 8.0.

But DFX+ is a fine program and Eyeon is ok in my book. If only they would takeover Newtek!