PDA

View Full Version : Ablan's Inside LW [8] ?? + Killer Tips

Turner
05-05-2004, 07:17 PM
I can't find a release date on Amazon, or even a mention of it on Dan's site!

Any info?

Also, if anyone has the Killer Tips book, I'd like to know if it really gets into the new features.

thx
Andrew

CoryC
05-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Dan just finished ILW8 and last I heard it was estimated to be shipping mid to late June.

Killer tips is not a tutorial book so if you are looking for detailed examples of new features you will want to wait for the 'Inside L[8]' book. He has been posting info on CGtalk and Spinquad so a quick search at either forum would get you more info.

Turner
05-06-2004, 06:20 AM
Thanks!

Signal to Noise
05-07-2004, 09:32 AM
I just received Killer Tips yesterday. It's actually a very good book. There's a lot of tips in there that I wasn't aware of but there are also basic tips good for the newbie. It's pretty much a tip per page and there's over 200 pages. All in full color and the screenshots are easy to view.

Highly recommended!:)

reverie
05-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Hi,

I'm not an experienced LW user...a newcomer since the beginning of 2004...so I can't comment on the "new features" aspect of the book.

However, I totally agree with everything the guy above said. Killer Tips is really a good book -- worth the money, I think. Things the authors point out are sometimes things that you know, in the back of your head, that you CAN do -- but you might not THINK to do. :) Like the neat tip about innovative uses for colored wireframes.

It's concise, too. You're able to read nice whole chunks even if you only have a few minutes during lunch or something. You don't get stranded in the middle of a good part and have to go back to work.

I recommend it. I guess there's a reason it's got 5 stars at Amazon.

Thanks,
Jan

Turner
05-07-2004, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the info!

I suppose I may check that one out.. It's not like it'll -hurt-, right? ;)

thx
Andrew

zonezapper
05-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Considering the upgrade version of 8 from 7.5 only comes with electronic documentation (which makes flipping from chapter to chapter of loosely relative information difficult) I am strongly considering buying one or more books that get into specifics like tutorials and shortcuts... and eagerly await for the release(s) and review(s) of upcoming books.

Also, just an aside, my upgrade is from version 5.0 and this new interface is so different that I am actually forcing myself to learn the keyboard shortcuts (although, there does seem to be a way to either modify the interface however you want, or convert the interface to the slightly more familiar ver 6).

Martok
05-10-2004, 04:58 AM
i ordererd LW8 packge already but the sad part that i saw it ben released on the underground peer2peer internet sharing and it apear to be valied LW8 4 CDs for Download.

i have no problem that 12 year old kid download it and play with the program exploring his skills only without making profit from the product but for industry they must buy it!! and that i agree