PDA

View Full Version : golfball texture

art_DA
05-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Can ANYONE point me to a good golfball texture?
ANYONE????

please?

somebody?

tia,
Art

nlightuk
05-06-2004, 07:23 AM
You could always model the golfball:

Create a level 4 tesselation ball
Select all the point of the ball
Switch to Polygons selection mode and perform 2 metaform operations (Ctrl-D)
Switch back to point selection mode
Resize the points to 90% of the original (play with this amount to get the right amount of indentation)
Press the TAB key and freeze if necessary.

This will create geometry that you could then generate an image texture from (bump/spec/displacement, whatever).

HTH ;)

art_DA
05-06-2004, 04:16 PM
Wow! Thanks! That's a great idea.
I am assuming a level 4 tesselation ball is easy to make. I'm also assuming that I work in the numeric dailogue box after I have called up a ball in modeler.
Hope I am right.
How I can make an image map out of that isn't real clear.
But I'll try that as well.

Thanks, I really appreciate this.

Art

dbigers
05-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Use the settings below in the bump channel for a good start. I recently had a project for a golf retailer.

This is on a 1 meter ball from modeler.

Hope that helps

Donnie

dbigers
05-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Here's the ball.

art_DA
05-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Beautiful! Thank you so much.
Art

John Melvin
05-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Diggers:

Was that bump map on a plain 1 m ball or a tesselated ball?? Any chance of using that .lwo file??

Thanks

John

dbigers
05-08-2004, 07:43 PM
I cant remember now if it was tesselated or not, most likely it was because a normal ball doesnt have too smooth of an edge.

When I get in this evening I will post the object.

Donnie

dbigers
05-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Here's the ball. Just play with the settings (in small increments) to your liking.

Donnie

John Melvin
05-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Really appreciate that. Will play with it tomorrow.

YOu da greatest.

Thanks

John

dbigers
05-08-2004, 10:18 PM
No problem. Hope it works out for you. I searched for a while on the net for a tutorial, but came up empty. So if it helps even one person I'm glad.

I cant recall how long I had to play with the settings to get it close. It took a while. Minor adjustments really throw it way off, thats why I suggested tweaking with small increments.

Donnie

art_DA
05-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Works for me!
Great job.

Art

cc3d
05-18-2004, 12:56 PM
..golfballish, but does not look like a golfball really. Anybody familiar with golf that sees it is going to get the same impression.

Golf balls (majority of) do not have dimples that vary so much in size. Problem is that is is difficult to creat a ball with equal sized dimpes this way.

Modeling it is a solution, but a tricky one too!

my $.02

-CC

dbigers
05-18-2004, 01:10 PM
Yes modeling it is tricky. Which is why I resorted to the bump map option. It is possible through experiementation and moving the camera around to find a spot where dimples are more uniform, but as you said it is not going to fool most people.

I was able to find a spot where the texture was fairly uniform and then I rotated the ball to where the dimples that were smaller were in the middle. Then I put the logo that they wanted there--it was fairly large and dark so it helped to hide the bad dimples.

Donnie

cagey5
05-18-2004, 01:41 PM
This is a modelled version took about 10 minutes. Including about 5 just to calculate the boolean. Still not quite right but a bit longer working on it would get it closer. Any use?

dbigers
05-18-2004, 01:51 PM
Cool!! I was in a hurry when I originally did the project and I didt want to wait for the boolean operation to calculate. Guess I should have waited.

Did you use point clone plus? I originally tried it that way. Having a sphere replace all the positions of the points from the original sphere, then using that layer to cut out the original, leaving the dimples.

It was taking too long to fine tune to the results and the project was not a make it or break it deal so I went with the cheat.

When I get the time I might give it another shot, always nice to have real geometry, plus never know when I might need another ball.

Donnie

cagey5
05-18-2004, 01:55 PM
Yeah getting it right with boolean isn't easy because it takes too long to calculate and then go back and rectify. For the positioning I use one of my fave plug-ins called 'Nut'.

dbigers
05-18-2004, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the headsup on "Nut" I will look into it.

Dodgy
05-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Golf balls have more rounded dimples.
Create a 4 segment tessalated sphere as above, then edgebevel all the points a mm or so, Then use the statistics window to select all 4>sided polys. Use the spikey tool to spike these in a bit and Smooth shift them to get the rounded edge of each dimple.

Dodgy
05-18-2004, 06:23 PM
My quicky....

<edit> Looking at it, you need more dimples!

Try a 5 tesselated sphere!

cagey5
05-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Now that is looking very good.!