PDA

View Full Version : Lighting setup for my first project

silverline
03-22-2003, 01:45 AM
Hey ya'll
Heres my first post. I'm working on this project and I was hoping you guys could give me some pointers. In the image I'm going for a nice outdoor - real sunny look but it seems to have a few problems. First off here's the setup . In the scene the background is a 500m plain/hills object.
For lights I have all area lights- one keylight for the flower at like 800% , one in the same place but lowered for spec. A back light behind the camera for shadowed details, a huge area light above everything for overall and the sun you see is actually another area for lighting the terrain with lens flare enabled. I messed with the atmospheric effects but somehow couldnt get the yellow " sun " to shine through. Since its not skt_sun the skytracer sun settings wont effect it.
I'm new to this so my knowledge of lighting is pretty minimal, any lighting tips/ setup sugestions would be very appreciated.
Also I noticed the shadowing on the right inner flower looks weird, I figured this was due to the angle of the keylight compared to the larger flower. Any ideas?
Also I can post any other setup details if that would explain things better.
-Dave-

testu_nagouchi
03-24-2003, 08:57 AM
for outdoor shots I usually set my ambient light to 5% and a light blue.

Set a single distant light to 200% or so and a pale yellow/orange color.

Ocassionally if I need soft shadows I'll add a spot with shadows.

Also if you're using radiosity you'll get better details in the shadows (but you of course sacrifice rendering speed).

HTH.