PDA

View Full Version : LW and 64-bit

DM67
05-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Hi to all,
introduction:
The future of the world of the PC is in the 64-bit.
To indicate the road is Bill Gates that talked about the already present technology in the PowerMac G5 in the course of the intervention that has open the WinHEC, the world lecture of the developers hardware for Windows.
According to Gates: " the passage to 64-bit is, absolutely, some thing of «wonderful» and that will revolutionize in radical manner the information technology ". " The future is in this technology, begun to develop for be", says to the developers hardware for Windows.
I did this introduction to express a question: the technology 64-bit is supported from Apple - G5 ( I am an Mac user :D ), from Atlon - Opteron even if still is not supported from an OS and between some time from Wintel, how has intention of to orientate the team LW of NT?
When we will have a version of LW optimized for 64-bit?
I know that the team is new and that is working a lot on LW ( thanks for the skill and tenacity that put in your work ), I am simply curious but hope also in some surprise (8.5, 9.0? ).
I hope that someone can answer to my question.
Thanks in anticipation.

All the best
Tony

WizCraker
05-05-2004, 11:53 AM
It is the same road when we went from 16 to 32 bit. When applications developers began adopting it, when Microsoft releases a version of Windows that is compatible with the new x86-64bit archetecture.

Lynx3d
05-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Well the 64bit "optimizing" basically is telling the compiler to produce x86-64 code and hit the compile button again :D
(ok that's a simplification, but i don't think LW has any hand-optimized assembly that needs to be optimized to use the additional registers...)

But there are at least two things that make breaking your head about 64bit LW pretty useless:
No 64bit Windows and no 64bit Intel Compiler (AFAIK Newtek is using that one)

For Mac it's basically the same, no 64bit OS (i mean being able to run 64bit binaries...unless i missed something), and not even a noticeable speed improvement to expect, since the feature set is identical in both modes, except 64bit integers and memory addresses...

cresshead
05-05-2004, 05:42 PM
as stated a few months back newtek are working on a 64bit mac osx version of lightwave 8.0 currently..of course osx is not fully 64bit as yet so newtek are simply making their app working in 64bit for the latest osx version which in itself is a hybrid 32bit/64bit O/S for APPLE MAC.

Beamtracer
05-06-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by cresshead
as stated a few months back newtek are working on a 64bit mac osx version of lightwave 8.0 currently Did Newtek state they were working on a 64-bit version of Lightwave for Mac OS X? I must have missed that announcement.

Oddgit
05-06-2004, 01:11 AM
the OS dose not need to be 64 bit for an app running inside of it to gain a speed boost, look at Shake FCP and now Maya 6, maya is about 40% faster, same with FCP. What would a 64 bit os do for ya anyhoo, i mean how fast do you want your windows to pop open and that split second of wait after you ask the computer to make a new folder. Nobody has been able to explain to me why a 64 bit os would be good, i can see 64 bit renderers and other cpu intesnive stuff, but the os?

sandman300
05-06-2004, 01:58 AM
Any word on a 64bit LW for Windows users?

cresshead
05-06-2004, 03:52 AM
there's nop word on 64 lw for windows though lightwave 6.0 was shown running on a itanium [64bit] some years ago....

mattclary
05-06-2004, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Oddgit
the OS dose not need to be 64 bit for an app running inside of it to gain a speed boost, look at Shake FCP and now Maya 6, maya is about 40% faster, same with FCP. What would a 64 bit os do for ya anyhoo, i mean how fast do you want your windows to pop open and that split second of wait after you ask the computer to make a new folder. Nobody has been able to explain to me why a 64 bit os would be good, i can see 64 bit renderers and other cpu intesnive stuff, but the os?

You can't run a 64bit app on a 32bit OS.

Go to Arstechnica.com, they have a good article that explainss the basics of 64 bit computing.

Exper
05-06-2004, 07:18 AM
http://arstechnica.com/cpu/03q1/x86-64/x86-64-1.html

WizCraker
05-06-2004, 12:57 PM
64 bit gives a lot of enhancements which one of the most major is memory addressing.

Also I beleive 64 bit will allow systems to be upgradeable to 256 TB give or take a TB. If you read the white papers on it it will give you the exact size. We should be up to that in what 10 years if you look how far we have gone with 32 bit.

Lynx3d
05-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Well, more addressable memory and (native) 64bit integers are about the only real advantages 64bit itself delivers...and they don't even come without cost, you'll waste a considerable amount of CPU cache.

What makes (or should make...) AMDs 64bit CPUs faster in 64bit mode are enhancements to the x86 architecture, like more than a lousy 8 GP/X87/XMM registers, and others just make it generally faster like the integrated memory controller.

But as said, without an OS that runs the CPU in 64bit mode and provides a 64bit virtual memory space you can't run any 64bit application. It's not about some UI or other eyecandy stuff, the kernel has to be 64bit.

I guess those programs mentioned are faster on G5 because they used new compilers and other tweaks in favour of the G5 architecture.