PDA

View Full Version : Burnt down hotel room

ponder_it
03-21-2003, 11:10 PM
Hey guys,
I've been reading all od these post for quite some time. Now I need a bit of a hand here. I'm trying to create a photorealistic burnt down hotel room. Having a bit of problems getting that real look. If someone could rip it appart for me and possibly make suggestions on it, that would awesome. The room is not yet finished, in terms of the set. objects, and I'm hard at work on those ugly floor boards. Outside that how about some suggestions here.

Simon
03-22-2003, 02:00 AM
Hi,

My main crit would be lose the procedurals and replace them with image textures, especially the crumple on the couch. The burnt texture on the table looks pretty good to me though. I think you wanted the wallpaper to look like it's peeling but the procedural make it look like a pattern on the paper? The lighting looks odd to me too, I can't make out what that sharp bright band is on the middle wall (is it light coming through a window? if so the lamp on the right is a bit confusing as to whether it's a day or night scene), and there's a shadow being cast on the ceiling above where it looks like there shouldn't be a shadow. Also if you want it to look really smoke/fire damaged remember a lot of the blackening would be at the top of the room where the heat/smoke rises. The ceiling would be black and blistered especially above where the fire started. Hope that helps ...

starbase1
03-22-2003, 03:28 AM
As an initial stage, try reducing the scale of the procedurals a LOT, (like by a factor of ten). I think avoid saturated colours is generally a good idea, but with a bunt room, particularly so. Tone done the yelolows behind the bar a LOT more.

But it's coming along!

Nick

starbase1
03-22-2003, 03:32 AM
Oh, and if you prefer procedurals, you may want to consider getting IFW2 shaders, much more sophisicated that the basic ones provided, with loads and loads of presets ready done for you. Gret value - I speak as a happy customer, no stake in it.

Nick

Maxts
03-22-2003, 11:08 AM
I think shadow is't corect

Keith
03-22-2003, 12:33 PM
If there's been a fire I suppose the wax would have melted in those candles? I think the scene lighting still needs a lot of work. Good luck and keep us posted on your updates.
Keith

ponder_it
03-23-2003, 11:22 AM
I'm hard at work implementing some of your suggestions. Most of them I already new, but some were in depth. I'll keep you posted.

kenekeu
03-25-2003, 10:36 PM
I once had a rental condo that my renter burned out completely. She put her barbecue right next to the rough hewn cedar fence. The fence caught fire, worked its way around to the overhang above the sliding glass door, which promptly shattered, allowing the fire to enter the condo.

First, everything from about the waist up, and I mean everything, was black with a sooty, almost powdery matte finish.

But, everything was soaking wet. Imagine sooty mud on everything, and about an inch of water all over the carpet. The sofa is soaked, the drywall is water damaged at the bottom where it is not sooty.

Second, where the fire started the structure is much more damaged than the rest of the room. The wall where the fire entered the condo was actually damaged all the way through to the exterior wall. But the funny thing was that when the cleaning company came and pulled all the drywall off the walls all the rest of the studs looked brand new except for those right where the fire entered. That part of the wall had to be reframed.

One of the most striking things was when I finally entered the structure the day after the fire. The kitchen window, which survived the fire was blackened so much that it wouldn't let in any light. The sliding glass door had to be boarded up so there was only a few streaks of sunlight shooting through the cracks. Even with the front door wide open and a powerfull flashlight the room just didn't reflect much of anything. I literally had to get inches away from anything with the light to make out any detail. It was like a black hole of light. Very, very hard to see anything but black.

I guess my exortation to you is to think about where the fire started and create rings of decreasing damage level radiating outward. The whole ceiling will be black as soot, fire and smoke goes upward after all. Even if the fire department gets there in only a few minutes, the heat and smoke will blacken everything. It is not at all like you see in the ADT commercial with the fluffy white smoke. It is black and thick and oppressive, billowing like a beast licking the ceiling and filling the ceiling with smoke like a pool upside down.

ponder_it
03-25-2003, 11:44 PM
Thanks for sharing that. I'm really makin' some changes to the procedurals. The thing that is very important to the experiance that you have just let me in on is why the set layout is exactly the way it is. The main reason that I have bright colors on the walls is the real contrast to the black. It's a stylistic choice above all. The scene takes place on the 25th floor of an old hotel. So there are some wind dynamics involoed here. The fire started where their was an explosion down the hall probably years before the scene happened.
As a director I am concerened with what will happen with the light. The balck diffuson of the burnt areas will eat up all of the light and i'm gonna have 2 characters in a black room, with no depth. So the concept to add depth and somewhat realism is to do it the way the i have started. burn only half of the room and you have depth and color. Other wise i will have to crank up the heat so much in the scene that you will blow out the characters as big white spots on the screen. If i go the other way and light just the characters the there will be no detail in the scene what so ever. Your suggestion might be to do a 2 pass render. render the background as one and render the characters as another an comp. it together. This very well might work but I'm still in a completely back room with not much depth. I agree that the yellow paint on the walls is a bit much but as i said I am more concerned with comtrast than anything.
As someone that works on movie set every day I think that you lightwavers (mostly newbies) may find this interesting. Almost everthing on a movie set is somewhat fake. Walls, gutted furninture, floors you name it even trees. So what I am doing is applying this concept to computer animation. Up close film set look very fake and unreal. When you block out a scene in pre-production and baised on story boards you should be able to easily figure out where to put detail. Remember in a motion picture scene, the audience will rarely focus in on the background. A good example would be how ofthen do you notice the extras in a scene. You know their there but do you really care. It's all about the mood and selling the fact that you are in a particular environment. I'd love to tell you about the scene that is takin' place here but it's a bit to involoing. For me I just have to be able to sell that I am in a particular envoronment for about 15 seconds. Just out of pride I am trying to get it as realistic as I can in keeping of my vision of a half burnt hotel room. With the adjustments that I have made with still about a week or so of tweakin' (only can devote 3-4 hours a week). I can sell the evvironment. This to all you lightwaves out there creating scenes is why it is vital that you block scenes before you do anything, storyboard and scrpit the actions and know your DOF.

I should have that new pic ready in 2 weeks. Major improvements thus far, thanks for the help out there sometimes as an artist i can get sastified with my work on Monday and hate it on Friday because of some bad shorts cuts. That's why you help out there has been helpful.

Chris
aka..Ponder_it

pawn707
04-06-2003, 01:10 AM
I would really recommend, beyond the advice of myself or any of the forum members, to get some photo research of some real burnt rooms or buildings and just look at the nuances--water damage, tons of papers lying about, exposed burnt beams, broken glass, etc. Sometimes fireman do as much damage as the fire when they have to put one out. And I doubt the ceiling would still be white still. There's an infinite amount of things that you might add or choose not to add. (Your floor looks awfully clean...)

I think it's cool that you're trying this, as opposed to just some normal room. Oh and I would suggest also putting some stuff in the foreground of the camera, composition wise. Charred wood, melted TV, stuff like that to really tell the audience that this place got burned.

Good luck