PDA

View Full Version : lw8 dopesheet, NO SHORCUTS TO DELETE SELECTED KEYS!?

hairy_llama
05-04-2004, 08:18 PM
I find this a major workflow inhibitor. I have to right click then select "delete" in the dropdown. Dopesheet needs to have its own USER DEFINABLE shortcut keys!

jrm3d
05-06-2004, 01:40 PM
Agreed!

Plus it would be nice to expand and contract the individual channels into rotation, translation, and scale tracks. I rarely adjust a single channel at a time and this would allow more objects to be adjusted cleanly on the dopesheet at one time.

hairy_llama
05-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Took me a while to get what you where saying.
Yes that would be a good feature.
I would also like a way to select which objects i want to show up in the dopesheet... right now you have to create a filter which is ok but I think it would be better if I could select all my objects that i want in the dopesheet and then have it only show the items that I had selected. But PLEASE let us create shortcut keys!!!!

jrm3d
05-07-2004, 05:44 AM
If you select the items in layout, then in the item list in the dopesheet right click and select "select from layout" (I believe) then hit the hide button you should only the items you want to adjust. I have the best luck with this if I take the item list out of hierarchy mode.

Sorry that I was unclear before (and this time too), english is my second language and I really don't have a first.

hairy_llama
05-07-2004, 11:57 AM
this does not work though because now all of my items in layout are selected. I just want a selection that I can adjust the keyframes on in the dopesheet. The only way to do this is to create a filter. Or like you said have your items selected in layout. I should be able to select the items I want to tweek in dopesheet then only display those items in the dopesheet, without having to have them selected in layout... Rather like hte graph editor where you put the channels in that you want to edit but you don't have to have your items in layout selected. I hope that makes sense, its rather hard to explain....

toonafish
05-07-2004, 05:53 PM
I know exactly what you mean, this was one of the first things I noticed when I tried the Dopesheet. It does not even see the favourites created in the old scene editor which would help.

You really have to hunt down your objects and select them in the Dopesheet to be able to hide the rest which kind of sucks with large scenes where you want to edit multiple objects at once.

The most annoying thing is it does deselect objects in the scene when you click on one object in the dopesheet. So the little white "v" hardly helps finding all the objects you selected in the Schematic view for instance, because you loose the selection the moment you click on something in the dopsheet.

It definately needs more work in my opinion.

Fish

Originally posted by hairy_llama
this does not work though because now all of my items in layout are selected. I just want a selection that I can adjust the keyframes on in the dopesheet. The only way to do this is to create a filter. Or like you said have your items selected in layout. I should be able to select the items I want to tweek in dopesheet then only display those items in the dopesheet, without having to have them selected in layout... Rather like hte graph editor where you put the channels in that you want to edit but you don't have to have your items in layout selected. I hope that makes sense, its rather hard to explain....

jrm3d
05-07-2004, 08:21 PM
I agree with you guys about the inefficient workflow of this thing, but a workflow that does work is the following.

Select the items in the layout perspective view (or better yet use a quick picker plugin)

set the item list in the dopesheet out of hierarchial mode and expand the list so that you can see all objects you will be adjusting.

in the dopesheet right click and select the bottom selection of "select from layout" (i believe this is the wording)

then right click again and click "select channels"

then create an item set from your selected items

now click hide and only your desired items and their channels will be shown

with hide selected, only selected items/channels are shown so if you click any of the objects or channels in the item list all other items will then become hidden. Then just choose the selection set that you defined and it will redisplay those items in the dopesheet.

Not great but honestly you can achieve what you want to do

hairy_llama
05-07-2004, 10:00 PM
That would work fine for some stuff but unfortunately, if, say, I have a character. I have dopesheet open beside/above/ layout and I want to quickly adjust the rotation of ONE bone in layout then hop back over to dopesheet and drag a couple of keyframes...In order to do so I have to select my selection list then edit my keyframes... Now in layout all of my objects are selected so I have to pick out that particular bone again and tweak the rotation a little more...then select my selection list and edit my keyframes. As you can see going back and forth between Layout tweaking and dopesheet tweaking is not great. However, I can give all the items in my scene a name that contains 888 and then create a filter in dopesheet so it only shows those items. Now I can very easly tweek my one bone in Layout while being able to adjust any of
my bones or objects keyframes in the dopesheet. I just don't like having to name all my items with something that I can filter. I can also lock them and have dopesheet display unlocked, but then I can not select any items in layout that are locked. Its not the biggest issue for me but it is kinda annoying...

jrm3d
05-07-2004, 10:36 PM
This new dopesheet is not what I had hoped. I am on travel right now but when I get back on sunday I am going play with it some more. If I have any luck with a workflow for what you describe I,ll reply again.

I heard that Mark Brown that created Keytrack went to work for luxology. I sure do like keytrack, I wish it's functionality was the basis for the new dopesheet.

hairy_llama
05-08-2004, 08:29 AM
I think the dopesheet is a good start but it feels unfinished... I hope they fix those few simple workflow problems in a "b" release...