PDA

View Full Version : bump displacment bug still not fixed in lw8.

hairy_llama
05-04-2004, 08:02 PM
bump displacement is still a gradiant on your object. One side will be fully bumped and the other will have no displacement at all.
Make a box in modeler, subD it. Load it into layout. Apply the precedural texture named "Value" to it(or any other if you want).
Turn on bump displacement under object properties. As you can see it linearly gets displaced from amount 0 to amount 100 from one side of your object to the other. Bump displacement has been in lw since 7.(0?, 0b?) and did not work then, did not work in 7.5 and does not work in lw8. WTF is up with that. This is one of my favorite features and they WILL NOT fix it.

Gregg "T.Rex"
05-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Are you sure? Here bump disp works perfect; at least as it should work...
Test it in LW7.5c and LW8.0. Displacement occured using object's normal orientation. Now if only we had subpixel displacement during render time.... But that's my other thread...

Cheers...

Gregg "T.Rex"
05-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Here's anoter (better) example using bump displacement. The noise on the numbers, is because i used a low jpg image for the bump channel. So bump disp is not affect the object as a gradient, but using the polygon normals.
Cheers,

evenflcw
05-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Indeed, it is broken. I reported this aswell a long time ago.

I've set up a small scene for anyone who want's to have a quick look at this bug. All I've done is applied a bumpmap (turbulence, default settings) to a cylinder and turned on Bump Displacement. For comparisons sake I also tried Normal Displacement with the same turbulence texture. The same texture is also used in the color channel. As you can see the patterns are the same. The only difference is Bump Displacement has a tapering effect going.

evenflcw
05-05-2004, 07:42 PM

evenflcw
05-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Files

Gregg "T.Rex"
05-05-2004, 08:58 PM
DAMN!!!
You're sooo right!
Never tried it on a cylinder!
Newtek, 're u listening? Hello??:D
Cheers....

hairy_llama
05-06-2004, 09:33 AM
That is really strange that it is not doing it on your ball... It has allways freaked out when I apply it to my characters...
the workaround is to create extra geometry (little boxes) floating in space around your character(one on each corner) and make the surface transperant. Now the bump displacement will stop on your boxes instead of your character... you still get more displacement on one side but...
Also the side at which its gradiant works has to do with point order... sometimes when u unweld then reweld an object it creates the gradiant to go in a differant direction.

Karmacop
05-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Have you sent this to [email protected] ?