PDA

View Full Version : threw out my sn

scnorman
05-04-2004, 06:42 PM
how stupid is this I think I threw out the dopey serial number. Who would have thought it was on the envelope. I can't seem to find it anywhere else. I didn't think I saw any numbers on the envelope. After all this waiting - is it true SN was on the envelope? (I got the paid upgrade)

mkiii
05-04-2004, 06:57 PM
Yes. It seems that US batches of the upgrade went out with the serial on the envelope only.

I can only suggest that you email newtek & ask for a new one. After all, the license isn't valid until you register it. I'm sure you won't be the only one that has thrown the packaging away.

GeorgeDittmar
05-04-2004, 07:02 PM
i know like 5 other people that threw theirs out

scnorman
05-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Thanks fellas - makes me feel a little betta and wishing newtek had longer customer service hours.

colkai
05-05-2004, 02:47 AM
Not that it helps you, or makes you feel any better, but my copy in the UK had the serial no on the actual CD case.

I guess an email to Newtek is in order for you guys, sucks that, though admittedly, i've done similar things in the past. :eek:

MiniFireDragon
05-05-2004, 06:56 AM
I have a US version that had the serial number on the inside of the case and the CD.

TSpyrison
05-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Someone else had accidently opened my mail.. and threw out the envelope..

I had to go digging through the garbage to get it.

(I cut it out, and stuck it in the case)

I think im going to back up all 4 disks to a dvd, and put the serial number on a text file.. Store that somewhere safe.

scnorman
05-05-2004, 07:25 PM
OK - called customer service - rather long wait - not too bad - got the serial number. Apparently this has been happening a lot - people throwing out the envelope. After he gave it to me I sort of remember seeing it on the label and thinking "gee - wonder who's phone number that is and I might have to call someday and correct my contact info....." So alls well that ends well and on to 8. Thank You for your support. (what was that wine advert?)

Cageman
05-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Funny that NT havn´t posted anything about this.

"Do NOT throw away the envelope, as it may or may not have your serialnumber written on it".

Well... :)

Signal to Noise
05-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by MiniFireDragon
I have a US version that had the serial number on the inside of the case and the CD.

Same here.

electropulse
05-07-2004, 10:44 PM
I almost threw out my envolope and spent some time scratching my head trying to find the sn...

zonezapper
05-09-2004, 06:27 AM
Now... I have the SN# AND Registration # on the inside of my case... plus, backed up in a couple of text files and original emails from NT...

However, I am curious why the Registration tab still wants to know my Registration #? I put it in twice and checked the License.Key file and it was shown twice... shouldn't it remember it already has it and disengage that tab on the Program menu?

paulrus
05-10-2004, 07:24 AM
I have 2 copies of LW 8 - the first came with the serial on the case & CD, the 2nd came with it on the envelope and a letter stating that the serial was on the envelope.

IMHO some bean counter at NT came up with the brilliant idea that they could save 2 cents per copy of they printed the serial # directly on the shipping label.

Not only that, but I took advantage of the 7.5 upgrade twice - my first copy of 7.5 came in a box with manuals - my 2nd copy was just 2 CDs thrown into the DFX+ box with no LW manuals at all.

I wonder how much MORE it's cost them in customer service support hours looking up serial numbers?

Paul

(who through out his envelope and then quickly retrieved it once he realized there was no serial # on his 2nd copy of LW 8)

reverie
05-10-2004, 07:42 AM
how stupid is this I think I threw out the dopey serial number.

I read your post last week, before I registered LW8, said, "Uh oh," and went home and dug through a huge outside garbage container to get the envelope. It was right at the bottom, of course. At least I entertained the dogs for awhile, by digging in the trash. :)

I'm glad you posted this though...the garbage would've been gone by today and there'd be no way to get the # other than call.

Jan

t_man13
05-10-2004, 10:18 AM
Yea. Did the same thing. Don't feel too bad.

Scott Gammans
07-17-2004, 12:23 PM
BLAH! Me too. OK, I don't feel so stupid now. Guess I'll have to wait until Monday morning to call Customer support. (Who's bright idea was it to put the serial number on a mailing label and nowhere on the actual product?!) :(

scnorman
07-17-2004, 03:02 PM
You would think after this happens at the rate the customer service person related to me when I had to call for the number (a whole lot) that someone would have gone out and bought big red stickers for the envelopes that say "Don't Thow Out". or "SAVE" or something - for crying out loud NewTek throw us a bone - we have a lot on our minds, who put that number in the same type face with zero indication of the immense importance of that label - like "dead in the water until customer service opens"- it's lucky it's not Siggraph - there would be no one in Texas. Scott, I am so sorry this is still happening you have my "I've been there" sympathy.

joelenders
12-01-2007, 10:15 AM
My VT[5] software came in a box with two DVDs in a double disc sleeve, no SN or anything on the manual. and nothing was in an envelope. I have been waiting for an email or call from Newtek for two weeks since I got it... nothing. The box had a Newtek SN on it... but I scoured EVERY page of the manual, the box and the discs...nada. My fist call to tech support took 30 minutes of waiting and then 15 minutes of "duh... I'm not sure" from the support guy, with a promise of a SN "right away".