PDA

View Full Version : LWPATH=c:\lightwave\objects; c:\lightwave\textures\ etc...

kurt_kober
05-04-2004, 06:42 PM
I'd like to see Lightwave make use of a path variable similar to a Java Classpath or an Oracle Home directory.

Even with setting my content directory, I often find myself clickin' around for various things. Either that or I have to copy standard files like reflection maps into my local object directory. Every time I have to hunt around for goldreflection.tga or whatever, I just think, "If Lightwave had a path, I would never have to do this again."

So that's my feature request.

mkiii
05-04-2004, 07:16 PM
The most flexible method, especially if you need to transfer files between locations is to just bite the bullet & make the local copies. Disc space is cheap, and network rendering is less likely to go tits up if everything is local to your project folder.

A path is only valid on the machine it is set up for, and would tend to get longer & longer, & end up pointing to god knows how many folders, with who knows how many duplicate files.

How many folders would you envisage this path containing? All of the content folder images? what about all your previous project folders? Don't forget the new content, and the content that comes with the innumerable tutorials, cover cds, downloaded images, things you have created. & so on.

Max does it like this, and it's a complete pain, especially if you have more than one file with the same name. At least if you manually copy a file, you can check that the right one is being used..

Still, if it was an option we could ignore or turn off, then I don't suppose it couldn't hurt..... or could it?

kurt_kober
05-04-2004, 08:36 PM
Maybe there are too many default directories for a path to be practical. But I do think that Lightwave is clunky about saving scenes and file information.

Oftentimes I'll load up a mesh or scene I downloaded from the net and it can't find half the textures because it stored the machine-specific path information with the texture. In these cases, the texture file is usually right in the same directory as the scene...so why didn't Lightwave bother to check there? Because it stored the absolute path of the file, not the relative path. Heck, maybe that's the answer right there.

Anyway with everyone askin' for edge modeling and new subd texturing and faster rendering and SSS and complete rewrites of the lighting system, and open SDKs for third-party renderers and who the hell knows what else...is a little old path really such a big deal? :D

P.S. Usually there's another system variable that points to the application home, which allows for machine-specific paths that are also kinda portable. i.e. %LWHOME%\objects\examples\ . . . etc. etc. so things won't necessarily go tits up, as you say...and I will henceforth also say...

Lightwolf
05-05-2004, 04:15 AM
Hi Kurt,
I'd say this is in most cases a problem of the person that created the scene. I find the current content directory structure to actually be quite neat and prowerful, especially since we tend to work on loads of projects in paralelle, and I can easily switch, and easily _backup_ a complete project without having to worry about anything.
Another nice thing is that for network rendering, I onle have to tell the nodes where the content directory is, and off they go.
Cheers,
Mike