PDA

View Full Version : Help Render Problems

tmallery
05-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Im trying to render a scene that I made of a snowglobe. I followed robin wood's tutorial for setting up the glass, but now when I go to render nothing happends. The little box shows up saying its rendering frame 0, but doesn't do anything else. When I turn off render reflection the scene renders fine. To make sure I wasn't being to picky about the time , I left it running all night, and it was still on 1/5 and 1/7. Didn't move at all. Thanks for you help.

mkiii
05-04-2004, 07:42 PM
It's very difficult to suggest anything other than wait even longer without knowing more details of the scene.

for now, just make sure you don't have ridiculously high setting anywhere.

IE Render Settings: Ray recursion limit. Make sure this is a sensible setting, ie between 4 & 16 should suffice, except for extremely slow renders with lots of reflections/refractions etc.

Brett H.
05-05-2004, 04:36 PM
To just do a test render and see what's up, jack your camera resolution way down, turn off antialiasing, turn off ray trace refraction, and hit F9. You should see the basic render. Slowly turn things back on and up until you get a small render that looks good, then turn camera resolution up and wait!

And ray recursion limit, try 4 to start as mkiii said.

Brett

tmallery
05-05-2004, 09:54 PM
I did all that and still the problem persisted. I then turned off reflection bluring and that solved it. It still renders slowly, but thats what happends.
Thanks for you help.
Tom

tmallery
05-06-2004, 06:05 PM
A 640*480 scene with no antilasing still takes 48 mins for me to render. Does rendering use more of the processor or of memory to complete? I ask because I have a single 3.2 ghz processor and 512mb memory, and I want to know if Ill I would need to do is through some more memory in, or is the situation hopless. Thanks

Brett H.
05-07-2004, 04:33 PM
Are you still using reflection blur? This slows down renders tremendously. I mean it is just about unusable in native LW. If you have the opportunity, look into Fprime, it does reflection blur in a fraction of the time.

Rendering uses processor exclusively, memory comes into play as far as how much memory does the scene and image maps use, as long as you are not disk swapping for image maps and such, 512 should be plenty.

Brett

toby
05-08-2004, 03:57 PM
are you rendering radiosity? Radiosity has to be fed into the reflection calculation, and vice-versa. Which means that the render time increases exponentially - if radiosity takes 10 min. to render and reflection takes 10 min., together they will take like 2 hours.

ponder_it
05-08-2004, 07:30 PM
another quick trick is to save your surface, and then change the surface it just 100% diffusion. The problem might be in the geometry. I have had that happen to me before. just as a test, then put the surface back on. Outside of that everyone elses' suggestions are great.

Cheerz.