PDA

View Full Version : Morph Mixer and Dynamics

robinson
05-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Just playing around with Lightwave 8. :D

Iím trying to apply Hard FX on an object with morph targets.
As soon as I enable Hard FX the morph targets are gone (base object), is there a way to apply dynamics on a morphed object ? :confused:

MrWyatt
05-05-2004, 01:29 AM
As i havenīt recieved my update yet I really cannot tell, but look if there is a way to tell LW in which order to apply Dynamics. You know like in subdivision order you can tell it to subdivide first , last, after bones, motion, morphing and displacement. just a thought thou.
as i said i really canīt tell as i still rely on 7.5.

:mad:

meanlebh
09-27-2004, 08:49 PM
I know that this is an old thread, but I am trying to do this same exact thing but with cloth dynamics....does anyone know if something like this is possible with LW 8??? any help would be awesome! thanks.

Ztreem
09-28-2004, 04:36 AM
You can NOT apply morph's to a dynamic object.

With hardFX you can do a workaround.
Apply the the dynamics to your object and calculate when your happy with your simulation, go to the editFX tab and choose the make path button. Now you will have a null object moving like your simulation did. Parent your object to that null and remove the hardFX from the object. Now you can apply morph to the object and it will move as if it had hardFX applied to it. Hope I make any sense.

Karmacop
09-28-2004, 05:02 AM
What if you wanted the morph to drive the dynamics? That'd be cool ...

meanlebh
09-28-2004, 09:46 AM
oh well...thanks for the reply..and yeah, i was trying to get the morph target to drive the dynamics....i was trying to get a parachute to open up out of a pack....i wanted the chute to unfold so that it would catch the wind better than it was...so i wanted the folded parachute to morph into the unfolded parachute....oh well, i got something to kidna work anyways, thanks for the help though.

Ztreem
09-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Sorry!,I forgot to say that you could morph the fixed point's with clothFX. But you could only morph fixed point's.

Here's a quicktest, when the morph's drives the opening of the umbrella.
Umbrella (http://www.mistanimations.com/umbrella.mov)

meanlebh
09-28-2004, 12:36 PM
thanks for that quick test...yeah, i already knew that i could do that however....i was trying to do something a little bit different....but thanks anyways, i think that i have gotten sort of a workaround for what i was trying to do.....

Rich
12-01-2004, 11:34 AM
I am trying to do the same thing using ClothFX except the points I want to morph are fixed. When I apply Morph Mixer in layout there is nothing in the list. Is there going to be a fix for this? :confused:

agrippa
12-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Hey Ztreem...could you post the project file and a brief overview of the steps to create it?

Thanks

Jeffery

Ztreem
12-01-2004, 01:47 PM
I'll try to explain in a few steps what to do.
First step. In modeler make an object.

Ztreem
12-01-2004, 01:49 PM
2. Make a morph.

Ztreem
12-01-2004, 01:53 PM
3. Make a point selection and call it something, I called mine "fixed". This is the points who gonna do that the morph effects the clothFX.
It's easy to do in LW8 just select the points and click on the "S" down in right corner where you apply weightmaps and morph's.

Ztreem
12-01-2004, 01:54 PM
4. Save the object and move over to Layout. Apply the morph to the object.

Ztreem
12-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Sorry! forgot the picture.

Ztreem
12-01-2004, 01:58 PM
5. Apply ClothFX and under the fix button, select the pointset you did in modeler.
Now you can hit calculate and your done. Just play with the settings in the clothFX panel to fine adjust the simulation. Good Luck!

SplineGod
12-03-2004, 01:28 AM
Hey Robinson,
You can mix morphs and dynamics.
Heres an example:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/tentacles.mov

erikals
09-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Hey Robinson,
You can mix morphs and dynamics.
Heres an example:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/tentacles.mov

3 years later...
Mjeah,.. but that is using Metalink right? Which is not as accurate as the default ClothFX.

Dodgy
09-28-2007, 03:29 AM
You can use clothFX and morphs together, as long as you have some Hold Structure applied, as this makes the points in clothFX reach for their base object's deformed point position. The higher this value, the more the ClothFX object will try to match the original object's shape.

erikals
09-28-2007, 08:24 AM
So, both works with Metalink, Fixed points, and Hold Structure..
Very cool, ClothFX just got more interesting.. :)

Thanks Dodgy

3DGFXStudios
09-28-2007, 09:47 AM
you need to ad md-plug or metaplug or something
(not sure it was that one but there is just one little plugin that fixes it)...I made dynamic jellyfish with it. Once I added that plugin the morphs worked again.....

WilliamVaughan
09-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Use FX_MetaLink_Morph

erikals
09-30-2007, 05:39 AM
Yep, but the drawback with MetaLink though is that it is driven by a low-res cage outside the original object, so the 'resolution' is not as good as standard ClothFX.
Unless there a hidden trick?
Works good in many cases though.

WilliamVaughan
09-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Yep, but the drawback with MetaLink though is that it is driven by a low-res cage outside the original object, so the 'resolution' is not as good as standard ClothFX.
Unless there a hidden trick?
Works good in many cases though.

Nothing stops the "low rez cage" from being the same object....you get to set what the low rez cage is....