PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse GT

banshee
03-21-2003, 06:54 PM
Well, in between doing non-lightwave projects, I finally managed to finish modeling the car that I drive:D . This is my third LW model, second car. My avatar was the first. Once again I give credit to Lewis for his mustang tutorial which enabled me o learn modeling in LW. Comments and crits welcomed and appreciated :) .

banshee
03-21-2003, 06:56 PM
another view

banshee
03-21-2003, 06:58 PM
And another

hrgiger
03-21-2003, 08:15 PM
That is really amazing Banshee. I think if I were a goth, that's exactly what I would drive :D (Inside Joke)

hrgiger
03-21-2003, 08:16 PM
Oh, and as far as a crit goes, everything looks perfect to me but is it just me, or does the spoiler in the back look like it's bent up in the middle? Does it do that on that actual car. It's the only thing I noticed.

Lewis
03-21-2003, 09:52 PM
Hi Banshee !

You are doing great job ;)

I saw few different versions of Eclipse Spyder 2003 and i saw 2 types of front bumper ant his yours is that 2nd type wich looks different than stock bumper :).

But you could improve few things (just nitpicking). Side ridges (insets) on doors need to be rounded on start adn not so squre as you make them. What's with rims surface - they dont' reflect anythign and look dull and not aluminium. Front hood have very very small gap betwen fenders ? Is that just image maped or you really made it that small ? Did you used blueprints (front lights looks a bit small to me :)).

Ok enough nitpicking - you did great job and you should be very proud and go to render some other colors now ;)

You know what's most wierd ? I'am doing mitsu eclipse spyder also :).

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=14059#post14059

banshee
03-22-2003, 05:00 AM
Thanks you two for saying something...

Hrgiger- yep, that was a small oversight on the spoiler. Although it does arc-up in the middle, I forgot to clean it up to smooth itout. Its done now. PS, Remember I am "geriatric goth", over 30, so my days of driving beaters or taking the bus are over. Needed something nicer ;)

Lewis- This is the 2002 model I bought last year. The bumper is different than the 03. Fixed the side ridge ends; thanks, missed that one. The rim is weird and is something I had trouble with. It is reflective with incidence on refl and diff, edge effects and slight blur. This is lit with HDR, no lights. The full-size render does show the reflections better, although they are slight. I am not sure what materials the rims are; take a look...

hrgiger
03-22-2003, 07:05 AM
Yeah, I just bought the 2002 Lancer last year. I was thinking of modeling that for my next project.

Epita
03-22-2003, 11:50 AM
Well, its a great model. good detail.

But i only have a Golf so im not doing that!

Epita

VWTornado
05-03-2003, 09:11 AM
banshee, model looks good...only things I see are the headlights and especially the taillights look funny. I know what a new Eclipse looks like and those dont seem to look right for some reason. Other than that looks good. I hope my GTI model turns out as good as yours, I'd be really happy with that!!

DaBo
05-14-2003, 11:17 AM
The Surfaces are great!!! But the car, hmmmm. The head and taillights looks to small!? May I'm wrong, coz I only seen that car on pics. IMHO the last Ecplise (mk2?) had a better design.
I've never seen that new on in germany, may it's only for US Market, that's okay :D

@VWTornado: hehe a golf with Bora face ;)

(after jetta came the vento and then the bora, i like the vento! :) )

VWTornado
05-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by DaBo
@VWTornado: hehe a golf with Bora face ;)

(after jetta came the vento and then the bora, i like the vento! :) )

;) You like? :D That is the car I am going to model after I get Lewis' car tutorial! (ordered, just waiting to get it) My car (that green one) is in the May issue of Performance VW if you wanna check it out! :cool:

RAZ
05-15-2003, 02:37 AM
I have never seen this car before so cannot comment on the likeness of the design but as a lay-person it looks amazing. I noticed an odd reflective on the front wing where the headlight is that suggests the wing buckles in towards the headlight. As I said this may be the design of the car, not sure. The paint looks fantastic and would like to ask if you could pass on your technique/settings for this? It would really help a newbie at automotive modelling/rendering :). The wheel rims looks good with that satin finish and the front indicators are excellent. A Very convincing job :cool:

mattclary
05-15-2003, 09:06 AM
FIRST of all, Raz, I'm LOVING your avatar! :cool:

Banshee, excellent model. I couldn't care less if the headlights are 12mm larger in real life, that model ROCKS! Been wanting to try my hand at a car, you may have just inspired me to actually do it.

VWTornado
05-15-2003, 11:44 AM
Yeah, i want to model a car also...specifically my green GTI above. ;) I'm just waiting for Cobra to send me my copy of Lewis' tutorial I ordered on CD. :D

banshee
05-15-2003, 02:26 PM
Thank you for all your comments.

I agree that the lights are a hair too small and I'll chalk that one up to "operator" error :o , same with the "dent" in the front quarter panels. Some oversight on my behalf and all was fixed in addition to the comments from the earlier posts, but I did not re-do the headlights or tailights. This was only a second modelling attempt and it really was just to continue to learn modeling in LW.

Dabo and RAZ
Thanks but the surfaces are really nothing spectacular. Just some basic shaders with incidence angle in the reflection and diffuse channels with maybe a slight tweak in G2 but nothing really. I think it's more the HDR that I used. It was the "snowfield" from Sachform http://www.sachform.de/index.asp
Lots of good stuff there. Currently I am learning to make my own using HDRShop http://athens.ict.usc.edu/HDRShop/
I'll be more than happy to offer what I can as far as surfacing goes but I'm still a newbie myself.

mattclary
Thanks. It was Lewis who inspired me with his tut and it really was not all that difficult. I think getting the proper references were key in doing this and the stockcar. Glad to see it inspire someone. I'll be lookin' for your WIP ;) and yeah... I'll second the notion on RAZ's avatar, very "lively"

pixelranger
05-15-2003, 06:02 PM
Love it!! nuff said....

VWTornado
05-16-2003, 08:15 AM
Here are pics of the headlights and taillights for people who want to see what others are pointing out:

Headlights:

http://www.mitsubishimotors.com/images/2003/ecl/eclipse_main.jpg

Taillights:

http://www.mitsubishimotors.com/images/2003/ecl/photos/large_8.jpg

Both the headlights and taillights on the model are squished a little. Not a big deal...especially since you said this is only like your 1st or 2nd car model. Its just the lights were bothering me enough I had to research and see what it was that was "off" with them. :)

Good job...model looks great otherwise. :D

DaBo
05-16-2003, 08:23 AM
Jo that's right, but the car is no beauty...thnx Mitsubishi ;)

I have a old Ecplise on my toDO list...maybe in the near future :D

Cya.

adrian
05-17-2003, 10:09 AM
First off great modelling - no crits from me as I can't fault it.

BTW where can I find out about this car tutorial that people keep mentioning?

Adrian.

banshee
05-17-2003, 10:25 AM
adrian

BTW where can I find out about this car tutorial that people keep mentioning?

All you need... http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/showthr...p?threadid=4936
or... for $27.50 http://www.lwg3d.org/v3/store.php?cat=33
from "the man" http://www.lewis.tomsoft.hr/

Thanks for the comment btw

adrian
05-18-2003, 04:32 AM
Thanks for that, I look forward to setting aside a few hours for the tut.

Actually I kind of think I should pay as a) it looks like a top-notch tutorial and b) $27.50 is not that much, especially considering the time that must have taken to put together.

I can't get over how the LW community is so willing to share it's secrets!

Adrian.